Flash Drive Tracker?

hi all i work at my university installing and updating software between buildings. i carry all these programs on my jumpdrive and have made a autoit sript that does all this for me. Just plug in and go. I often leave my jumpdrive in computers and walk away and lose them. I have lost so many that i no longer buy anything bigger the 512, because its almost guaranteed to get lost somehow. Before I go and make one, I was wondering if anyone knew of a script that would gather the computer name, ip address and time and then save it to a file. I want to make it autorun on my jumpdrive, so when I plug it will run that script then ftp it. This way if I lose it I can check my ftp and see when the last time it was used was, and maybe have a hope of finding it.

Thanks in advance

Hard work never killed anyone but why take the chance?

Hi.

[i tend to spoil tens of pen drives when I install software from these media]

Where do you work -- I mean: Where can I personally get my free pendrive from your work? :)

kidding....

Some approaches:

1.) working in such an environment you do, you should run installations from a network resource rather than a pen drive!

2.) get a pen drive you can put to your key ring; get a long roap fixed to your belt, or simmilar

3.) put an Autoit script autorunning from your pen drive, that will put a box somewhere on your screen "Don't forget your pendrive!!"

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Hi.

[i tend to spoil tens of pen drives when I install software from these media]

Where do you work -- I mean: Where can I personally get my free pendrive from your work? :)

kidding....

Some approaches:

1.) working in such an environment you do, you should run installations from a network resource rather than a pen drive!

2.) get a pen drive you can put to your key ring; get a long roap fixed to your belt, or simmilar

3.) put an Autoit script autorunning from your pen drive, that will put a box somewhere on your screen "Don't forget your pendrive!!"

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Do the computers that you service even support autorun? This may require a manual launch.

It might be easier to fasten a lanyard between your thumbdrive and your neck. Something about three metes in length... :)

If Not FileExists(@ScriptDir & "myfile.txt") Then $file = FileOpen("myfile.txt", 8)
$IPAddy = @IPAddress1
    If $IPAddy = "127.0.0.1" Then 
        $IPAddy = @IPAddress2 
            If $IPAddy = "0.0.0.0" Then 
                $IPAddy = @IPAddress3 
                    If $IPAddy = "0.0.0.0" Then 
                        $IPAddy = @IPAddress4 
                            If $IPAddy = "0.0.0.0" Then $IPAddy = "No Connection" 
                    EndIf
            EndIf
    EndIf
$Now = @HOUR &":"& @MIN &":"& @SEC & Chr(32) & @MDAY & "/" & @MON & "/" & @YDAY
$LocalInfo = @ComputerName & Chr(32) & $IPAddy & Chr(32) & $Now
FileWriteLine ("myfile.txt", $LocalInfo)
FileClose("myfile.txt")

You could use DOS to FTP the output or just place the output on an existing share.

We have the same hassle with students at schools. To get around this, install a background looping script that counts the number of removeable drives present every 5 seconds or so and prompt the person to remove/take it every now and then when the number changes up from the default (initial) value. Also re-prompt the user as a part of the logoff script. Since installed on the network, no-one has left a pen drive (or floppy/CD) behind.

Look at the first element in the return array from DriveGetDrive ( "REMOVABLE" ).

Regards,

Saddle (In the land of Oz)