Print

I have a script that I need it to print out a file (without the hassle of the user). It must print out in portrait, black/white, and default printer.

Does anyone have anything they could hook me up with?

Offering any help to anyone (to my capabilities of course)Want to say thanks? Click here! [quote name='Albert Einstein']Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.[/quote][quote name='Wolvereness' date='7:35PM Central, Jan 11, 2005']I'm NEVER wrong, I call it something else[/quote]

depends on the file. If it is a text file you could call it with

"NOTEPAD.EXE /P filename.txt" ;note the /P for print

but if you have "textpad" you could define your document type and it will remeber the settings for printing ( font etc... ) and you would call the program the same as

notepad (scite might be able to do it )

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Thanks for your tips.

I modified the line like this (for print on the network) :

copy filename.txt \\server\printers
exit

When I use this method, I obtain illegible (not readeable) characters for the accentuated characters. The printer (HP LaserJet2300L) has last the drivers (HP LaserJetCompatible 2100/2200/2300 Serie 5).

Can you help me ?

----------------------GroumphyMore information about me [Fr]

Hello,

Thanks for your tips.

I modified the line like this (for print on the network) :

copy filename.txt \\server\printers
exit

When I use this method, I obtain illegible (not readeable) characters for the accentuated characters. The printer (HP LaserJet2300L) has last the drivers (HP LaserJetCompatible 2100/2200/2300 Serie 5).

Can you help me ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the "copy" command, you bypass the windows printer drivers. Before you can print anything, the format of the text must be converted by the printer driver (in your case I guess the printer language is PCL5 or PCL6).

It also depends on the source format of the text. You have to print the text using the program in which it has been written. for instance if it's an MS-Word text, then you must use MS-Word to convert and print the text.

So it's not that easy to print something. Microsoft has only solved this partly by adding a 'print' action on some file extensions in the Windows Shell. But not many file extensions support this.

Here's a code snippet that you can use if your file has a 'Print' association:

Func FilePrint($FileName)
; Prints a file using the default File Association
; See also: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/shellexecute.asp

Const $SW_SHOWNORMAL=1

;ShellExecute(NULL, "print", <fully_qualified_path_to_folder>, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
    $aResult=DllCall("shell32.dll","int","ShellExecute","hwnd",0,"str","print","str",$FileName,"str","","str","","int",$SW_SHOWNORMAL)

return $aResult[0]
EndFunc

Regards,

-Sven

Hello,

Thank you for your assistance.

The Script functions very well if a default printer is installed. But on the PC where script is installed, no printer can be installed (the end-user can nothing see or knowing [network security]).

I identified the problem. It comes from the bypass of the drivers and coding of Windows is not compatible with MS-DOS... The file filename.txt is in ASCII... And it is necessary that it arrives in ANSI. (with your assistance on the management of printer and charactères accentuated via MS-DOS)

I use

net use lpt3 \\Server\Printers
copy filename.txt lpt3
net use lpt3 /delete
exit

Or

copy filename.txt \\Server\Printers2
exit

Simplest is that I code a small function, who replaces the accentuated characters of the textual file (produced by AutoIt) when this last is finished and right before sending it towards the printer.

Edited by Groumphy

----------------------GroumphyMore information about me [Fr]