Installed AutoIT - Now what?

I've just installed AutoIT and when I right click to create a new AutoIT file, there's no icon showing in the list. What to do?

I used the full installation wizard on Windows 2000 machine.

Thanks,

Mike

hmm...

did you just install autoit or autoit and scite?

because scite is the editor.

Well, AutoIT shows up on the start menu / programs along with SciTE and several other things. I was looking at the tutorial and it said to right-click on a folder, or in my case, the desktop to make a new autoIT file. That icon doesn't show in the "new" list.

Well, AutoIT shows up on the start menu / programs along with SciTE and several other things. I was looking at the tutorial and it said to right-click on a folder, or in my case, the desktop to make a new autoIT file. That icon doesn't show in the "new" list.

AutoIt comes with a limited edition of the SciTE4AutoIt3 editor. To get the full featured SciTE functionality, you need to download and install it separately from:

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/downloads.shtml

It is highly recommended that you do that.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

The right click menu's "New" submenu is what you are referring to, isn't it? I don't know that the AutoIt installer actually writes that value anymore.

I don't know where that is stored, but with a little work I might be able to find it later.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. I guess I really don't need it.

The key is

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3\ShellNew

You need a REG_SZ value of "FileName" with the data set to "template.au3"

The problem now is, does the install even include the template file any more?

If not then change the value above to "NullFile" with no value data set at all. That will allow you to create a blank au3 file with no imformation in it at all. Thats the same as creating a new text file.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

The key is

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3\ShellNew

You need a REG_SZ value of "FileName" with the data set to "template.au3"

The problem now is, does the install even include the template file any more?

If not then change the value above to "NullFile" with no value data set at all. That will allow you to create a blank au3 file with no imformation in it at all. Thats the same as creating a new text file.

That key is set correctly. I've opened the script editor and copied in the "hello world" example from the tutorial. Saved it as an ".au" file and it doesn't run. I get a browse dialog that says "cannot find sendtops.exe".

maybe you can exactly tell us what you are doing when it doesn't do anything ?

Certainly. I installed AutoIT. Then, using the tutorial on the website, tried to create a new .au3 file by right-clicking in the folder and select New / AutoIt v3 Script. This choice was not available.

Next, I opened SciTE and copy/pasted the "Hello World" script from the tutorial, then saved it to the desktop. Now, if I double-click the file it will not run and I get an error/file browse dialog who's title is "Program Not Found" then "Windows cannot find Sendtops.exe", "This program is needed for opening files of type '.au3 file' ".

Sendtops.exe does not exist on my C:\ drive anywhere.

Thanks,

Mike

• Developers

Certainly. I installed AutoIT. Then, using the tutorial on the website, tried to create a new .au3 file by right-clicking in the folder and select New / AutoIt v3 Script. This choice was not available.

Next, I opened SciTE and copy/pasted the "Hello World" script from the tutorial, then saved it to the desktop. Now, if I double-click the file it will not run and I get an error/file browse dialog who's title is "Program Not Found" then "Windows cannot find Sendtops.exe", "This program is needed for opening files of type '.au3 file' ".

Sendtops.exe does not exist on my C:\ drive anywhere.

Thanks,

Mike

It should try to open AutoIt3.exe or SciTE depending on the selection you made during installation.

Sounds to me you have done some manual; configuration for the .au3 fileextension.

Check the properties for .au3 in Explorer and maybe even remove it totally and then re install autoit3.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

It should try to open AutoIt3.exe or SciTE depending on the selection you made during installation.

Sounds to me you have done some manual; configuration for the .au3 fileextension.

Check the properties for .au3 in Explorer and maybe even remove it totally and then re install autoit3.

Jos

Thank you, I'll try that.