Visual Basic Artifical Evolution Project

Guest Guidosoft

Guest Guidosoft

Although I do not believe in the theory of evolution in reality, I am very much interested in making a program with a small world and an object. This object will have a dna code, but, the thing is. I need ideas on how to make it so it works properly, this thing needs to make, randomly creating, deleting and setting traits is going to create an ugly failure. Someone help me. I am doing this in visual basic. How should I go about making it able to evolve.

If you read this, and you didn't answer, you will be shot on site!!!!

Please place all non-AutoIt posts in the Chat section at the top of the forum.

In response to your question, the answer is... do not use VB. Its Class Object is missing the ideal functionality to accomplish this project. I would also like to make the assumption that anyone that would try to make such a complicated project with a TOY language doesn't retain the brain capacity to write such a compicated application (at least not done properly).

Matt

Guest Guidosoft

First of all, read the description of this board: A place for the v3 developers and C++ geeks to talk. I assume that since it is allowing for C++ that it is also allowing for Visual Basic talk.

Seccondly, how dare you make such a statement about visual basic. I have seen some pretty amazing things done with vb that people like you said could not be done. Did you know that: like C++, VB is infinite, because it has the power to load functions from DLL's.

Now, what is missing from the class object. And why do you consider visual basic a mere toy. HUH!?!?!? HUHUHUH!?!?!?!?

Listen PinHead,

This topic is for discussing C++ as it applies to the development of AutoIt... not in general.

Visual Basic is FAR from limitless, the language was designed in such a way that braindead junkies could pick up a computer and write an app in an hour. BASIC in its prime was still merely a structured programming language and in VB6 it is at best a MOCH Object Oriented language. The functionality you require to appropriatly finish this project would require a true Object Oriented Language (such as C++, Java, or even better SmallTalk). If you base a language on its ability to load external DLL's then I assume you consider AutoIt an "infinite" language as well?

The VB Class object barely covers 2 of the 3 requirments for a language to be considered an object oriented language, Encapsulation, and Inheritance. The one it is missing completly is Polymorphism... look them up. The feature needed here is full-featured polymorphism. Look it up and understand it as a concept then you will understand where I am coming from.

Matt

Guest Guidosoft

Ok, I will. Now after this debate, are we at odds with each other or are we cool. I do not wan't to rise a conflict between us.

Edited by Guidosoft

Kid you will never be cool with me... you or any of the other teenage punks that turned this once professional forum into a day care for the witless. Sprout a brain, do something for the community, and then we can talk about being cool. Until then you are just another mindless half-whit on this forum.

Matt

The "community" is not a reference to this project's community. I was refering to the Open Source community as a whole. From what I have seen of your posts on this forum, you have taken far more then you have given, yet you ask for even more? There is nothing wrong with asking for help when it is needed, but the open source model is based off of people that give 4-5 times more than they ask for. In the context of AutoIt, Jon gives and gives and gives and never asks for anything but respect. I can say the same about at least 5 other members of this forum. I can't say that I have personally paid my dues to what this forum has given me... but that is what I am working on. By then end of next year I will have (hopefully) added 6 professional companies to the list of users of AutoIt, I have already added over 100 personal users.

Matt

Guest Guidosoft

But it is like you said, I am only a teen, your are not. I do not have the same power you have. I cannot influence compaines to use software like you can. All I can do is code. What do you think I should do to help this community?

Guest Guidosoft

ok, however, when I come out with more new Include Files for autoit, I should of course post them in the v3 Scripts and Scrapts section right?

Remeber my old scripts:

NotepadConsole4.Au3, AppCommunicate.AU3, and FileExtAss.AU3

When I was 16 I joined OpenOffice.org's development team and assissted them with bug removal, testing and user support. When I was 17 I did the same for 3 other (smaller) projects. When I was 18 I co-started an open source XML database project (no longer in production). This list continues but that is what my Resume is for. Currently for the open source community I'm hosting a project (eXtremAdmin*), and still attempt to make time for assisting users of all open source projects in my 60+ hr/week job.

For this project's community you can spend time with users that need help on the forum, or you can aide the developers with coding functionality (C++ only). Open source projects provide a terrific learning base for upcoming developers. Get involved, read through the code, suggest additions/modifications. The possibilities are endless for a kid with a strong drive and knowledge of where he/she want to be. You just need to show that you have the interest and the aptitude and someone will can find something for you to do.

Matt

Guest Guidosoft

Ok, so I will start by searching for a bunch of post with problems and answer as many as possible the best I can with the most lagitamate answers and code as possible.

Now, I feel this incredible urge to start answering questions of people that don't know what there doing.

Guest Guidosoft

Your right, I can't help someone else if I am a bit shaky myself. That is why I will be figuring it out for them and testing it myself and then giving it to them.