search on specific character in filename

Hello,

I am trying too create a script, that wil automaticly move and rename files with specific characters or words in a file name.

Unfortunatly i'm stuck, with the search function, too establish it.

Can someone help me?

For Example:

filename: KQsect-XS-32.xml

Search for 'XS-32', if XS-32 then rename to: XS-32.xml, then move to: X:\XS

I'll hope you understand.

Edited by joopgoudvis

can't give a total help but

FileFindFirstFile : show you the file name

[quote]Don't expect for a perfect life ... Expect a least troubles ones[/quote]Contact me : ass@kiss.toWhat I Have Done :Favorites Manager Mangage your favorite's folder, that's coolPC Waker For those who want to save stickersWebScipts Supporter For those who've just started with Web and WebScriptsTemporary Looker Simple but powerful to manage your Temporary folder, you know what you downloaded[UDF] _NumberFormat() Better performance on number display[UDF] _DirGet() What a folder contain [how many (hidden,normal,...) files], with one line of code[UDF] _IsPressEs() Just like _IsPress() but for a group of keys

Hello.

filename: KQsect-XS-32.xml

1.) Search for 'XS-32',

2.) if XS-32 then rename to: XS-32.xml,

3.) then move to: X:\XS

1.) As answered before filefindfirstfile() returns you the file name.

1.a) for such a simple string search have a look at the function StringInStr()

1.B) for more complex pattern search look at StringRegExp()

2.) Use FileMove() to rename a file

3.) FileCopy() will do what you want.

Regards, Rudi.

Edited by rudi

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Combine the FileFindFirstFile from the above post with StringInStr (Search in Helpfile).

StringInStr:

Checks if a string contains a given substring.
StringInStr ( "string", "substring" [, casesense [, occurrence]] )oÝ÷ ØZ襥©Ý²·)à'gßÛmzË^v+[ºÛ!¢é]ÂäÝ7êÇ­È]¸¬¶¯j¸nW°êÞÊ©­ç^~)Þ¶¬yªÜ­Gb¶Øb²å¢m+-¢ë¢Ø^®Ê.­Ç»7Ý«­¢+ØÀÌØíÍÉ¡¥ÈôÅÕ½ÐíèÀäÈíaLÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐììMÕͱ½Ü¡É((ìM¡½ÝÌÑ¡¥±¹µÌ½±°¥±ÌÑ¡Ðɽչ¸(ÀÌØíÍÉ ô¥±¥¹¥ÉÍÑ¥± ÀÌØíÍÉ¡¥ÈµÀìÅÕ½Ð쨸¨ÅÕ½Ðì¤ìMÉ ¥¸Ñ¡ÀÌØíÍÉ¡¥È¥ÉѽÉä((ì
¡¬¥Ñ¡ÍÉ ÝÌÍÕÍÍÕ°)%ÀÌØíÍÉ ô´ÄQ¡¸(5Í   ½à À°ÅÕ½ÐíÉɽÈÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½Ðí9¼¥±Ì½¥Éѽɥ̵ѡѡÍÉ ÁÑÑɸÅÕ½Ðì¤(á¥Ð)¹%()]¡¥±Ä(ÀÌØí¥±ô¥±¥¹9áÑ¥± ÀÌØíÍÉ ¤(%ÉɽÈQ¡¸á¥Ñ1½½À($$(%MÑÉ¥¹%¹MÑÈ ÀÌØí¥±°ÅÕ½ÐíaL´ÌÈÅÕ½Ðì°È¤±ÐìÐìÀQ¡¸ìMÉ ½Èå½ÕÈáµÁ±ÑáÐ($%¥±
½Áä ÀÌØí¥±°ÅÕ½Ðí`èÀäÈíaLÀäÈíaL´ÌȹᵰÅÕ½Ðì°ä¤ì5½ÙÑ¡¥±¸IÑ¡¡±Á¥±½¸Ñ¡¥Ì½µµ¹¸äô
ÉÑ¥É̹½ÙÉÝɥѥá¥ÍÑÌÌÌìÌÌì(%¹%($(í5Í ½à ÐÀäØ°ÅÕ½Ðí¥±èÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí¥±¤ì¥±Ñ¡Ð¥Ì½Õ¹¥Ì¥ÍÁ±å¡É)]¹((ì
±½ÍÑ¡ÍÉ ¡¹±)¥±
±½Í ÀÌØíÍÉ ¤

My active project(s): A-maze-ing generator (generates a maze)

My archived project(s): Pong3 (Multi-pinger)

Thank you for the fast reply's!

I have this code right now, and it doens't work.

the test file I want too search and rename/replace is called 45XS-3254k.xml

I don't know how too combine it, because i'm new too auto IT.

Right now It doens't work... :)

searchdir = "C:\XS\" ; See use below here

; Shows the filenames of all files that are found.

$search = FileFindFirstFile($searchdir & "*XS-32*") ; Search in the $searchdir directory

; Check if the search was successful

If $search = -1 Then

MsgBox(0, "Error", "No files/directories matched the search pattern")

Exit

EndIf

While 1

$file = FileFindNextFile($search)

If @error Then ExitLoop

If StringInStr($file, "XS-32", 2) <> 0 Then ; Search for your example text

FileCopy($file, "X:\XS\XS-32.xml", 9) ; Move the file. Read the helpfile on this command. 9 = Create dirs and overwrite if exists!!

EndIf

;MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file) ; File that is found is displayed here

WEnd

; Close the search handle

FileClose($search)

Edited by joopgoudvis

FileCopy($file & ".xml", "X:\XS\XS-32.xml", 9)

[quote]Don't expect for a perfect life ... Expect a least troubles ones[/quote]Contact me : ass@kiss.toWhat I Have Done :Favorites Manager Mangage your favorite's folder, that's coolPC Waker For those who want to save stickersWebScipts Supporter For those who've just started with Web and WebScriptsTemporary Looker Simple but powerful to manage your Temporary folder, you know what you downloaded[UDF] _NumberFormat() Better performance on number display[UDF] _DirGet() What a folder contain [how many (hidden,normal,...) files], with one line of code[UDF] _IsPressEs() Just like _IsPress() but for a group of keys

FileCopy($file & ".xml", "X:\XS\XS-32.xml", 9)

I don't really understand, I have this line:

FileCopy($file, "H:\XS\XS-32.xml", 9)

He is Creating the Dir on H: But he is not copying the file XS-32.xml from C:\XS in it.

Edited by joopgoudvis

yes, $file in the line "FileCopy($file, "H:\XS\XS-32.xml", 9)" just the file name with its extension , Ex: 123XS-32.xml , it isn't the "source" as the format of the filecopy() func, so you have to give it a the parent dir Ex : C:\dir\123XS-32.xml

I'm a little bit confused, I just can't get it working.

FileCopy($file & "XS-32.xml", "H:\XS\" , 9); Move the file. Read the helpfile on this command. 9 = Create dirs and overwrite if exists!!

EndIf

I Don't see the problem :)

Edited by joopgoudvis

this's from the help file

FileCopy ( "source", "dest" [, flag] )

so you have to point out the source of the $file, run this script

If StringInStr($file, "XS-32", 2) <> 0 Then; Search for your example text
MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file); File that is found is displayed here
EndIf

the msbox will show the file name only, without it's directory, so the filecopy() can't work because it doesn't where to take the source to copy to

Edited by d4rk

I'm sorry, but I don't get it Right...*sigh* He won't copy the dir anymore...

$searchdir = "C:\XS\" ; See use below here

$search = FileFindFirstFile($searchdir & "*XS-32*" ) ; Search in the $searchdir directory

If $search = -1 Then

Exit

EndIf

While 1

If @error Then ExitLoop

If StringInStr($file, "C:\XS\XS-32", 2) <> 0 Then ; Search for your example text

FileCopy($file & "C:\XS\", "H:\XS\" , 9); Move the file. Read the helpfile on this command. 9 = Create dirs and overwrite if exists!!

EndIf

;MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file) ; File that is found is displayed here

WEnd

FileClose($search)

oh my god , please copy these code nad run it again

$searchdir = "C:\XS\"; See use below here

$search = FileFindFirstFile($searchdir & "*XS-32*" ); Search in the $searchdir directory

If $search = -1 Then
Exit
EndIf

While 1
If @error Then ExitLoop

If StringInStr($file, "C:\XS\XS-32", 2) <> 0 Then; Search for your example text
FileCopy("C:\XS\" & $file, "H:\XS\" , 9); Move the file. Read the helpfile on this command. 9 = Create dirs and overwrite if exists!!
EndIf

;MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file); File that is found is displayed here
WEnd

FileClose($search)

It shouldn't work either.

This line is wrong:

StringInStr($file, "C:\XS\XS-32", 2)

FileFindNextFile doesn't return a full path so $file will never have "C:\XS\" on the front and thusly this search will always fail. Also you are only returning results matching *XS-32* from FileFindFirstFile() so why is this even necessary?

Edited by weaponx

Because I want charachter, specific searh in a file name ( specific log files in this case I want to rename and move automaticly )

Oke, changing that line works, thank you very much to all of you.

Also I want to rename the files that where copied in H:\XS. I found the stringreplace command, but I don't know how too combine it with my code. Can anyone help?

Situation: I want all the copied files in H:\XS to be renamed too: XS-tes.xml

Edited by joopgoudvis

Situation: I want all the copied files in H:\XS to be renamed too: XS-tes.xml

are you serious ? can you manually rename alls file in a folder with a same name and extension ?

are you serious ? can you manually rename alls file in a folder with a same name and extension ?

No. I'm sorry for the miss understanding here. I will try too explain the situation:

Everyday, I'll get 2 number of logfiles. These logfiles have a huge file name. in that filename, there is a word ( in this example XS-32) That is consistent everytime. After I purchase the logfiles, I must run them trough an application, this application accepts only the term 'XS-32'. So every time there are new logfiles (everyday) I have too manualy search the right logfile, adjust the file name too 'XS-32' and run that file trough the application.

I want too automate it with AutoIT.

The Thing I've been running into right now:

I want to rename the files in the H:\XS Dir, too XS-32 instead of the huge filename by default. I've tried it with the string replace function, but it did'nt work.

Again, Sorry for the misunderstanding, and for the bad posts in this topic. I will try too be more clear from now. ( I'm not used too type in english).