Logon script - Citrix client update.

@ All, I tried to come up with a simple way to update Citrix client information and came up with this, it seems to work fine. How could it be improved on? One thing I am not sure about is if the FileClose($file) is in the right spot is there a better/proper location?

As you will notice I am using a .msi and it is configured to only show the splash screen and progress, then close at completion.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

#RequireAdmin
const $file = FileOpen("C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\version.dat", 0)
const $line = FileReadLine($file)

If FileExists("C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\version.dat") Then

While 1
If ($line) = ("10.200.2650") Then
    Exitloop
ElseIf ($line) <> ("10.200.2650") Then
    Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & '\\server\files\Citrix\Client_10.2\ica32pkg.msi', "", @SW_HIDE)
Exit
    FileClose($file)
EndIf
WEnd

Else
    Exit
EndIf
Edited by schilbiz

This makes a little more sense to me:

#RequireAdmin
$VerFile = "C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\version.dat"

;first, lets check to see if the file exists before we open or try to read from it
If FileExists($VerFile) Then
    $version = FileReadLine($VerFile)
    ; since we're only reading one line, just as efficient (with less code) to FileReadLine as
    ; it is to FileOpen, Read, then FileClose
    If Not @error Then ; check to see if the FileReadLine failed
        If StringStripWS($version, 3) <> "10.200.2650" Then ;added a StringStrip just in case extraneous spaces were introduced
            ShellExecute("\\server\files\Citrix\Client_10.2\ica32pkg.msi")
            ;shell execute does away with the need for a convoluted command line that may fail with no error message
        EndIf
        MsgBox(16, "OH-OH", "Can't read the version.dat file." & @CRLF & "It exists, but I can't read it :-(")
    EndIf
Else
    MsgBox(16, "OH-OH", "Can't find the version dat file: " & @CRLF & @CRLF & $VerFile & @CRLF & @CRLF & "exiting...")
EndIf

I also chose variables that are a little more descriptive to our purpose.

"$file" & "$line" are good temporary/placeholder variables when you're dealing with a large list of files for processing, or a great number of lines.

But, we're only dealing with one file and one line, so I went with "$VerFile" & "$version".

Also, even if you were going to use the FileOpen(), read, then FileClose() methods, there would be no need to declare them as constants in this scenario.

Edited by ResNullius

Nice ideas, thanks ResNullius, I like how you did it. The reason I used const at the start is because I was thinking of an elaborate way of doing it where it would verify multiple versions of the client but found it didn't need to be that difficult and then just left it because it worked.

Thats why I ask, I like to see how things can be done differently and improved upon, thanks for your input.