well here we goes

Tomb

with a script in uncompiled form, you can keep some of your functions in a seperate script / text file. similar to how a UDF works. like for example if i had a file called text.txt and in this file i had wriiten

Func TestFunction()
MsgBox(0, "", Hello.  This is just a test")
EndFunc

now if i had a seperate .au3 script that called that function, and i wrote #Include "text.txt" like this example

#Include "Text.txt"

TestFunction()

now i can make use of the function in my seperate file.

and if you were to compile the main script, the Text.txt function would be included into my script.

this making the compiled script a standalone .exe

but, what i want to do is have a script that includes a file similar to Text.txt in my example above, but without including it in the script once compiled. I would like the newly compiled script to still reference to a text file from which the functions could be edited in at a later time.

very similar to how it can reference the text.txt in uncompiled form.

ofcourse, if the file was not existing, there would be a problem, but lets just assume i will always have it right there.

i thought of just using like fileread or iniread but then i soon realized it wouldn't work for the functions properly.

:D

Execute()

I think that might just work.

just wish my autoit helpfile had a better example for executing functions.

i am going to search for an example of execute, i believe the answer is somewhere located in this function.

thanks

:D

Edit: i spelled helpfile wrong. :D

Edited by Tomb616

So basically what you want(in the long run) is to define a function, after that the script is run, at run-time ?

well, the function could be defined previous to running the script.

but also edited during running yes.

Well you can't really "edit" a function after it has been run.

You can modify how/what the script executes/does, but not modify the function after runtime...

Only way to do that would be to write the code of the function to a .au3 file, then run that script with the AutoIt commandline parameters...

I think he wants to be able change the function (in external module or something) even after the script is compiled...

@Tomb616

You can write the needed functions and they execution to some file (module), for example «External_UDFs.fnc»:

#NoTrayIcon

If $CmdLine[0] = 0 Then Exit ;We need at least 1 command line

;Collecting parameters
$sParams = ""

For $i = 2 To $CmdLine[0]
    $sParams &= $CmdLine[$i] & "|"
Next

$sParams = StringTrimRight($sParams, 1)

Call($CmdLine[1], $sParams)

;==== UDFs Part ====

Func Some_UDF($sParams)
    Local $iRet = MsgBox(36, "Question", $sParams)

ConsoleWrite($iRet)
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ø Ý¶§Ê«r©W±Êâ¦Ü"Yh¢K,¢g­)à)¶¬jëh×6Global $sUDFs_Module = @ScriptDir & "\External_UDFs.fnc"

$vRet = _ExecuteExternalFunc("Some_UDF", "test")

MsgBox(64, "", "Returned Message from ExternalFunc: " & $vRet)

Func _ExecuteExternalFunc($sFuncName, $sParams="")
    Local $iPID = Run(@AutoItExe & ' /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "' & $sUDFs_Module & '" ' & $sFuncName & ' ' & $sParams, '', '', 2 + 4)
    Local $sStdOutRead = ""

While ProcessExists($iPID)
        $sStdOutRead &= StdoutRead($iPID)
    WEnd

Return $sStdOutRead
EndFunc
Edited by MsCreatoR

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif
==================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team