Longstanding combo-box height bug on WinXP

CyberSlug

We've known that Windows XP does not obey the combo box height and shows all the items...... However, combo controls work fine in http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/Larry/au3guixp.zip under Windows XP.....

Attached sample scripts and screenshots. By the way, the combo controls have identical styles in Au3Gui and AutoIt-Gui....

So, can we get the height issue resolved?

ComboBoxBug.zip

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

• Administrators

Just had a quick google and the problem only seems to appear when XP styles are used and the program is XP aware (like AutoIt). I'm not sure but Larry probably didn't have XP style support in at the time.

Oh and it seems it was a "design decision" on Microsofts part and not a bug. I'll see if there is a workaround but the only thing I found so far was to limit the number of items via a hack (rather than a proper height setting).

Jon, Au3GuiXP has XP styles enabled.  Thats why Larry added the XP to the end.

CyberSlug, doesn't CBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT fix the problem when that style is added?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sort of, but Au3GuiXP combo boxes lack that style (meaning the heights are integral).... How can we get current AutoIt combo boxes to look like the ones in Au3GuiXP?
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

Jon, it appears the manfiest file isn't compiled in, but is provided seperately, so it is theme aware when using the manifest. Its an option, basically.

CyberSlug, you are using the manifest to make it XP aware, correct? The provided manifest needs renamed to "Au3GuiXP.exe.manifest". It needs to be in the same directory as Au3GuiXP.exe. Otherwise, Au3GuiXP isn't being theme aware, so the issue may not be present.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, really, as I haven't done any testing on this stuff and I don't know what you have and have not done. However, if it is a design decision by Microsoft, then there should be a way to "disable" it because, obviously, not everybody will want that.

CyberSlug, you are using the manifest to make it XP aware, correct?  The provided manifest needs renamed to "Au3GuiXP.exe.manifest".  It needs to be in the same directory as Au3GuiXP.exe.  Otherwise, Au3GuiXP isn't being theme aware, so the issue may not be present.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bingo! I did not notice that the manifest file was lacking "exe" in the name.....

So it IS a manifest problem.... but I suppose XP theme support is more important than list box height. :idiot: I'd rather keep the manifest compiled in (rather than having a separate file).

We just need to remember to remark about combo box height in the documentation!

Thanks

Edited by CyberSlug

nawww... the manifest is a resource, either inceptually or via ResHack. (i forget)

Lar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Larry, I thought that it was compiled in. However, in the link CyberSlug posted, it wasn't. It looks like its a newer version than what I last used. I last used 2.0.6, the link is 2.0.9. It doesn't appear that its compiled into that latest version.

I will have a gander when I can get some time away from my job... hee hee...  :idiot:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You seem to like saying that. I'd suggest that since you are amongst the employed lot, that you remove the unemployed comment from your signature.