_FileSearch()

monoceres

Today I decided to write my own _FileSearch() function, mainly because the ones that uses DOS for their output didn't handle swedish characters very well.

I also did some speed testing against other _FileSearch() that doesn't use DOS:

Test: *.mp3 through 41k files.
 Geosoft: 125 seconds
 monoceres: 26 seconds
 Gary Frost: 45 seconds

Anyways here's my code:

; _FileSearch()
; Example: _FileSearch("C:","*.au3")
; Author: Andreas Karlsson (monoceres)
#include-once
#include <File.au3>
#include <array.au3>
Func _FileSearch($initdir,$searchterm="*.*")
Local  $dirs[1] = [$initdir],  $results[1] = [0]
While True
    $tempdirs = _FileListToArray($dirs[0], "*.*", 2)
    $tempfiles = _FileListToArray($dirs[0], $searchterm, 1)
    For $i = 1 To UBound($tempfiles) - 1
        _ArrayAdd($results, $dirs[0] & "\" & $tempfiles[$i])
        $results[0] += 1
    Next
    For $i = 1 To UBound($tempdirs) - 1
        _ArrayAdd($dirs, $dirs[0] & "\" & $tempdirs[$i])
    Next
    If UBound($dirs) > 1 Then
        _ArrayDelete($dirs, 0)
    Else
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
WEnd
Return $results
EndFunc

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

I also did some speed testing against other _FileSearch() that doesn't use DOS

Maybe you should also compare with some functions that were actually written with performance as a goal, not just some old and generic code. :D

Search for FileListToArray in this forum, and you'll find some improved versions of this official UDF, most notably by randallc and weaponx.

Edited by Siao

"be smart, drink your wine"

Maybe you should also compare with some functions that were actually written with performance as a goal, not just some old and generic code. :D

Search for FileListToArray in this forum, and you'll find some improved versions of this official UDF, most notably by randallc and weaponx.

I've just read Weaponxs FileListToArray post and now I see that my code, well lets face it sucks.

At least now I have some really fast code to use :D

Hi,

I guess declaring the result array with lets say 1000 and then just adding without _ArrayAdd will be faster.

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Hi,

I guess declaring the result array with lets say 1000 and then just adding without _ArrayAdd will be faster.

Mega

Yes but then we come to the eternal question, what if I have to use 1001 elements?

It would be great if autoit could somehow make use of the new and delete keywords in c++, then we could see some really fast and dynamic arrays :D

Yes but then we come to the eternal question, what if I have to use 1001 elements?

It would be great if autoit could somehow make use of the new and delete keywords in c++, then we could see some really fast and dynamic arrays :D

If you want to make it faster, then you can add a parameter which is set to 1000 and if somebody needs more than 1000 results --> change the parameter.

Mega

P.S.: Did you test ObjCreate("Scripting.FileSystemObject") for searching, may even be faster.

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

P.S.: Did you test ObjCreate("Scripting.FileSystemObject") for searching, may even be faster.

As a matter of fact, I was playing with that a week or so ago and found out it was slower than the one I already use. Slower by about 30%

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Hi,

you are right. It is slower. Sorry for that.

Mega