Debug version

Nutster

What type of debug version do people want?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What type of debug version do people want?

• An interactive debugger that lets me add breakpoints, press keys to run each line of code, trace through or over function calls, etc., with a variety of display options.
    • Displays a configuarable activity log and maybe put the log in a file.
    • What we have now is fine.
    • What are you talking about?

Just want some ideas about what kind of debug environment people want. If only a few people want version 1, and everybody else is content with version 2, then it does not seem worth it to do all the extra work. :idiot: If people are going to use it (more than just me) then we (JP and me probably) can go for it.

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

In my opinion:

The first option is nice but unnecessary.

The second option is more what I've always wanted.

My ideas:

- In front of every function show:

* if it is a built-in function or a user-defined one

* if it is included from another file.

- When a file is included, show the full path in the log

- And when you plan to put the time in the log make it optional. Because it's not always necessary

- For the variables...

* Tell if a variable is DIMmed before a value is assigned to it.

* if a variable has a new value, show it in the log file (optional)

I see option 2 being sufficient for 99.9% of debugging tasks in AutoIt. I think the votes for option 1 above are inflated for the coolness factor rather than any need for the utility that it would provide. For how many daily tasks does the average AutoIt coder need line-by-line debugging? It would be a cool hack, but this would involve the time of developers who could be doing other mighty things (e.g. like something I might use<G>).

Can someone who voted for option one provide me with an example of where they could benefit from a line-by-line debugger? Please shut me up, I invite you.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

Here's the link to the original idea/discussion thread:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...wtopic=950&st=0

First poll option would be really wonderful, of course.... Second option would be very helpful. Heck, anything that helps with debugging is appreciated :idiot:

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

• 3 years later...

I voted for Option 1. However on further consideration I think this falls into the nice to have but not essential category.

I have not had many problems with debugging my scripts so far using a combination of the tools in Scite4AutoIt3 and the debug directive in AutoIt3Wrapper. Adding a couple of temporary extra lines of code to my script solves the lack of being able to set a break point or watch condition. Not as convenient as a proper debugger but they all enable me to successfully debug my scripts without too much effort.

Edit: Sorry didn't look at the date on the original post

Edited by Bowmore

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook