Fileopen error

if I run or build & then run my exe via Double clicking on it, then its all working fine

im using vb.exe to launch my exe written in autoit, so it can read some text from *.txt file

But if I use visual basic to open my _deadlinkscheck.exe file, then vb.exe starts _deadlinkscheck.exe & then I get this error: Unable to open _deadlinks_temp. obviously there is no error in my vb.net code. the queston is Why cant my autoit script open the file, or is there a way to check what is causing the error ?

btw what does If $file = -1 Then mean?

vb.code:

Shell(My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory & "\_deadlinkscheck.exe")

$file = FileOpen("_deadlinks_temp", 0)
            If $file = -1 Then
            MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open _deadlinks_temp")
            Exit
        EndIf
    FileClose($file)

EDIT See posts 9 & 13 for solution

Edited by goldenix
My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

try using the full path to open the file

Edit: More then likely it can not find "_deadlinks_temp", also you are opening this in read only. So maybe this file does not exist...

Edited by flip209

" I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." Abraham Lincoln

try using the full path to open the file

Edit: More then likely it can not find "_deadlinks_temp", also you are opening this in read only. So maybe this file does not exist...

As I said, all works fine, if I double klick my _deadlinkscheck.exe file. this means the file is there & there is some text in it also.

its the same whether I use full filepath or with @scriptdir I get same error

Edited by goldenix
My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

btw what does If $file = -1 Then mean?

$file is the variable storing the handle returned from the FileOpen function. If it stores -1 then FileOpen failed to get a handle thus the file is already has a handle open by another program or some other issue.

Try using this code within _deadlinkscheck.exe and see what it informs you.

MsgBox(0x40000, '@WorkingDir', @WorkingDir)
If Not FileExists('_deadlinks_temp') And FileExists(@ScriptDir & '\_deadlinks_temp') Then
    If FileChangeDir(@ScriptDir) Then
        MsgBox(0x40000, 'FileChangeDir', @WorkingDir)
        If FileExists('_deadlinks_temp') Then
            MsgBox(0x40000, 'FileExists', @WorkingDir & '\_deadlinks_temp')
        Else
            MsgBox(0x40030, 'FileExists', 'Failed to find ' & @WorkingDir & '\_deadlinks_temp')
        EndIf
    Else
        MsgBox(0x40030, 'FileChangeDir', 'Failed to change to ' & @ScriptDir)
    EndIf
ElseIf FileExists('_deadlinks_temp') Then
    MsgBox(0x40000, 'FileExists', @WorkingDir & '\_deadlinks_temp')
Else
    MsgBox(0x40030, 'FileExists', 'Failed to find ' & @WorkingDir & '\_deadlinks_temp')
EndIf

:D

Try using this code within _deadlinkscheck.exe and see what it informs you

this is what I get:

using RUN:
-----------
@WorkingDir C:\test
FileExists C:\test\_deadlinks_temp

Doubleclick:
-----------

Using: Shell("_deadlinkscheck.exe")
---------------------------------

FileExists finds it OK and the working directory is OK so the file must be already opened with a handle or some other issue. If your VB application creates or uses the file then make sure it closes the handle so the AutoIt script can read from it. I am not sure of any further advice to give. You could try to manually delete the file to recycle bin when the error pops up and see if another error appears of failing to delete which tells you that a handle is already open to the file which makes the AutoIt script fail with reason.

FileExists finds it OK and the working directory is OK so the file must be already opened with a handle or some other issue. If your VB application creates or uses the file then make sure it closes the handle so the AutoIt script can read from it. I am not sure of any further advice to give. You could try to manually delete the file to recycle bin when the error pops up and see if another error appears of failing to delete which tells you that a handle is already open to the file which makes the AutoIt script fail with reason.

my VB app olny purpose is to launch _deadlinkscheck.exe, therefore it has only 1 line of code in it.see first post.

When that msbox pops out with the Unable to open _deadlinks_temp, I had no problems deleting _deadlinks_temp.

I did more experimenting with code below, I found out, that if i use my vb.app to start _deadlinkscheck.exe, then File NOT found messagebox pops out, How is this possible?

if fileexists('_deadlinks_temp') Then 
            MsgBox(0, "", "File found")
        Else
            MsgBox(0, "", "File NOT found")
        EndIf

well I attachecd the files feel like to take a look em? VBapp_launcher.exe is the vb launcer

test.rar

Edited by goldenix

Ok, after looking at you example. VB is giving you the error, not au3 and you are calling a .exe that is not there...

" I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." Abraham Lincoln

well I attachecd the files feel like to take a look em? VBapp_launcher.exe is the vb launcer

Thanks for the test files. You are executing the AutoIt compiled script from another directory in the test structure so the working directory may not the same as where the script is. You may need to set the working directory for the AutoIt script execution or set the working directory within the AutoIt script or use a valid path (relative or absolute) for FileOpen().

This works for me.

FileChangeDir(@ScriptDir)
if fileexists('_deadlinks_temp') Then 
    _fileopen()
Else
    MsgBox(0, "", "NOT found")
EndIf

func _fileopen()
    $file = FileOpen("_deadlinks_temp", 0)
            If $file = -1 Then
                Exit
            EndIf
            MsgBox(0, "", FileReadLine($file,1))
    FileClose($file)
EndFunc

---------------------------

File found

OK

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7YEJPH5J

OK

This fixes it, like I said use the full path. You were calling the VB in a different directory. Which from all standards becomes the working directory unless other wise stated. All so fix your vb code instead of \config\_deadlinkscheck.exe it needs to be .\config\_deadlinkscheck.exe. I am not sure what your skill level is at but that fixes it for me.

CODE

if fileexists('C:\Documents and Settings\Philip Stacy\Desktop\test\config\_deadlinks_temp.txt') Then

_open()

Else

EndIf

func _open()

$file = FileOpen("C:\Documents and Settings\Philip Stacy\Desktop\test\config\_deadlinks_temp.txt", 0)

If $file = -1 Then

Exit

EndIf

FileClose($file)

EndFunc

LMAO that is funny sorry to repost.

This works for me.

Yup this is really really weird sometimes it works & sometimes it does not.(I was just talking about my included files)

but this aside

your way does the work & even tho i tested it before & I was getting same error with the code below....well it seems to be working now, its a magic, what else can i say, exept that if it wont work for shure unless @scriptdir is used.

Problem solved. Thank you.

EDIT: Vb code was good like I said problem was in autoit.

if fileexists(@ScriptDir & '\_deadlinks_temp') Then 
    _fileopen()
Else
EndIf

func _fileopen()
    $file = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & '\_deadlinks_temp', 0)
            If $file = -1 Then
                Exit
            EndIf
    FileClose($file)
EndFunc
Edited by goldenix