File Copy

Hi,

I am a newbie to Autoit and am just testing the waters. I am trying to build a script where it asks for the username or gets it from "@username" and copies some file from Location X to Y. (Both directories in the same partition, will later change to network share).Can anyone helpme in that?

Details : For Citrix & Terminal server we can change the application path by using "%username%" in icon properties so that each user has seperate session though the application installation is done just once . Each user will have a folder based on his username.I need to copy the files to each user based on some conditions.

I'm not sure what you want but this could be a start :D

$user=InputBox("Username:","Please enter username, empty for macro")
If $user="" Then $user=@UserName
DirCopy("C:\Users\"&$user&"\VeryImportFolder","C:\Destination\")
Hi Monoceres,

I have tried that as well but doesnot seem to be working :D

#include<file.au3>

#NoTrayIcon

$user=InputBox("File Copy", "Username ")

If $user="" Then $user=@UserName

DirCopy("C:\Source\Data\","C:\Destination\"&$user&"\Data",1)

I had converted the same to exe and run it. Is there something that i am missing ? And btw thanks for your response! Way Fast!

Regards

Cheran

May I suggest using the Application Data directory for user-specific files/settings, etc.?

It's specific to each user, and it can be located with the @AppDataDir macro. :D

Also for global settings/files, etc., you can use the @AppDataCommonDir macro. :D

Hi Monoceres,

Yipee it worked! But one question, the folders existed before Dircreate as well!

But still needs to be "Created?". Anyway it works! Thanks ! :D

No it shouldn't, really sure a folder with the exact same foldername existed?

But hey, if it works then it it doesn't matter :D

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

May I suggest using the Application Data directory for user-specific files/settings, etc.?

It's specific to each user, and it can be located with the @AppDataDir macro. :D

Also for global settings/files, etc., you can use the @AppDataCommonDir macro. :D

Hi FreeFry,

I have no idea how to use that! But Thanks for the tip, i am still Learning!

Rgds

Cheran

Hi FreeFry,

I have no idea how to use that! But Thanks for the tip, i am still Learning!

Rgds

Cheran

I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you're wanting to do, but what I mean was doing something like this:

Dim $MyApp = "My Application" ; Your application name

Dim $SettingsDir = @AppDataDir & "\" & $MyApp ; This defines your application settings/data dir
DirCreate($SettingsDir) ; Create our applications directory in case it would not exist.

; Some examples what you can use this for:

FileCopy(@WindowsDir & "\explorer.exe", $SettingsDir & "\") ; Copy some user-specific file to your applications directory..
IniWrite($SettingsDir & "\SomeSettingsFile.ini", "SomeSection", "SomeKey", "SomeValue") ; Write some user setting
$Value = IniRead($SettingsDir & "\SomeSettingsFile.ini", "SomeSection", "SomeKey", 0) ; Read the setting

MsgBox(0, "Value read:", $Value) ; Display the setting
ShellExecute($SettingsDir) ; Open settings directory