Dim Array with Variable

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, and I can't seem to find more info on the proper syntax via the help file or these forums.

What is the proper way to create array elements using a variable containing a number?

If I want to dump data into $aName[1], $aName[2], $aName[$n].. How do I create the array $aName[1] thru $aName[$n], to be later populated as below?

The file the script is reading is created by a resident app that sits on several dozen machines, pushing machine status to a share.

If I run the following, I get this error:

C:\[...]\Studio_Machine_Status\machstat002.au3 (44) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:

$aName[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 1)

^ ERROR

I've tried putting a For loop in there to create $aName[1], $aName[2], etc and that doesn't work either.

I must be missing something fundamental here.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>

Global $mArray, $i, $sFile, $oFile

UpdateStatusData()

Func UpdateStatusData()
    ;Check folder exists and dump contents to array
    If Not FileExists("\\share\dat\") Then MsgBox(0, "Error", "Can't find \\share\dat\")
    $mArray = _FileListToArray("\\share\dat\", "*.kh", 1)
    If @error = 1 or @error = 4 Then MsgBox(0, "Error", "Path not found or no files found at \\share\dat\")
    _ArrayDisplay($mArray) ;works fine
    ;dim arrays to # of files/machines present
    Global $aName[$mArray[0]], $aStat[$mArray[0]], $aOS[$mArray[0]], $aLang[$mArray[0]], $aIdle[$mArray[0]], $aApp[$mArray[0]]
    ;Populate arrays
    $i = 1
    For $i = 1 to $mArray[0]
        $sFile = $mArray[$i]
        $oFile = FileOpen("\\share\dat\"&$sFile, 0)
        $aName[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 1) ;Machine name  <-------------------------- Crash
        $aStat[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 2) ;Ready/Running/Dead
        $aOS[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 3) ;Which OS installed?
        $aLang[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 4) ;which lang OS installed?
        $aIdle[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 5) ;how many minutes idle?
        $aApp[$i] = FileReadLine($oFile, 6) ;are any known apps running?
        FileClose($sFile)
    Next
    _ArrayDisplay($aName)
EndFunc
Edited by v3rt1g0

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, and I can't seem to find more info on the proper syntax via the help file or these forums.

What is the proper way to create array elements using a variable containing a number?

If I want to dump data into $aName[1], $aName[2], $aName[$n].. How do I create the array $aName[1] thru $aName[$n], to be later populated as below?

If you know how many elements you want before you create the array, then it's just:
$n = 10; number of elements to have

Global $avArray[$n + 1] = [$n]; sets element [0] to the count

For $i = 1 to $avArray[0]

; do something on elements [1] thru [10]

Next

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law