Problem getting AutoIt to hold down a key

I have read the docs and browsed through more than a dozen of previously created topics, but I still can't find the answer to my problem I'm facing here. Ok here's the sample code I'm trying to execute:

CODE
Send("{LSHIFT down}")

Send("{w down}")

Sleep(5000)

Send("{w up}")

Send("{LSHIFT up}")

The only output I get is a single 'W', as though the key was not held at all, when I am expecting something like 'WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW'. But strangely, it is still capitalized because the Shift key is down when the 'w' key was sent. When I commented out the LSHIFT lines, I get a single 'w'. So what could be causing the issue for me here? (I'm using the stable Nov 2007 version of AutoIt).

I have read the docs and browsed through more than a dozen of previously created topics, but I still can't find the answer to my problem I'm facing here. Ok here's the sample code I'm trying to execute:

CODE
Send("{LSHIFT down}")

Send("{w down}")

Sleep(5000)

Send("{w up}")

Send("{LSHIFT up}")

The only output I get is a single 'W', as though the key was not held at all, when I am expecting something like 'WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW'. But strangely, it is still capitalized because the Shift key is down when the 'w' key was sent. When I commented out the LSHIFT lines, I get a single 'w'. So what could be causing the issue for me here? (I'm using the stable Nov 2007 version of AutoIt).
Send() and physically holding down a key are not quite the same Send() does not have auto repeat.

This will achieve your desired result

Send("{LSHIFT down}")
$begin = TimerInit()
Do  
Send("w")
Until TimerDiff($begin) > 5000
Send("{LSHIFT up}")

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

Oh ok, now I understand Send() better. Thanks for your help.

I have another question. Is there a way to send DOWN/UP modifiers with ControlSend? The docs mention something about SendAttachMode which disables them for ControlSend:

"Specifies if AutoIt attaches input threads when using Send() function. When not attaching (default mode=0) detecting the state of capslock/scrolllock and numlock can be unreliable under NT4. However, when you specify attach mode=1 the Send("{... down/up}") syntax will not work and there may be problems with sending keys to "hung" windows. ControlSend() ALWAYS attaches and is not affected by this mode.

0 = don't attach (default)

1 = attach"

- http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/f...#SendAttachmode