Sending files with P2P (TCP?)

Hi,

I want to exchange files between computer A and computer B using a peer to peer system. Should this be done using TCP, and if so, how? If not, then what is the best option?

Best regards,

Tom

I think using TCP functions is always like peer-to-peer since you connect two computers at their IPs.

You need to create a GUI where your Client and Host enter the IP used.

If you want to know how to use TCP there are several posts in this forum like this one from AutoIT Smith:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18738

And concerning file exchange there is a UDF by GTAspider that can help you by writing your programm:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46341

• Developers

Tcp isn't peer to peer. Peer to peer means client to client. Tcp is server to client

This is not really a valid statement.

Peer-to-peer is different from Server-Client but both are using TCPIP. Peer-To-Peer says something about the role of each party in the connection.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

van wikipedia

Yes .. and ?

All P2p programs are using TCPIP that is not a question but a fact.

P2P really means that each machine connected has both a Server and a Client role and means everybody is eachothers "equal".

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Yes .. and ?

All P2p programs are using TCPIP that is not a question but a fact.

P2P really means that each machine connected has both a Server and a Client role and means everybody is eachothers "equal".

hi jos nice explanetion(A) your totaly right :(

• Developers

yeah, but if each computer is the server, then every computer should forward ports and that stuff.

When i start limewire, I don't have to open any ports.

This implies you agree that IP is used since you talk about ports now.

Let me ask you this: Are you automatically sharing files when you start Limewire ?

In the Window "Overzicht" is the top part used for the downloads and the bottom part for the uploads.

The Port forwarding is only required when the party at the "outside" tries to connect back with a different port than you went out with. Your firewall will know all ports/session you initiated and as long as the program only uses those ports, things will work without any port mapping/forwarding.

Jos

Edited by Jos
typo's

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I also see limewire uses UPnP to configure the router.

Could be too.. I haven't looked at the details of all ports used by the program.

Anyways, P2P is an Application and IP is a transport mechanism which both are totally separate things. Nicely defined in the OSI layer model :)

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.