Can AutoIt do this?

Hi,

I have a d5-Ent app that needs to transfer data into specific edits on another running app.

The data is new every time it is passed, so I am guessing I would need to create a script then compile it on the run and then ShellExecute(AutoIt...

The data may have some information that is repeated several times before moving on in the script. For instance, where there are several addresses for the receiving app. e.g.

Dave Harrison

Address

Street 1

Street 2

Zip ...

Address

Street 1

Street 2

Zip ...

Address

Street 1

Street 2

Zip ...

There may be as many as 9 such addresses but I will not know how many until run time, so, pseudo-code...

Send FirstName+" "+LastName+Tab

LOOP=3 ; My app knows how many addresses, and in this instance adds the "3"

Send Street 1+Tab

Send Street 2+Tab

Send Zip+Tab

LOOPEND

Send Phone+Tab

Send Fax+Tab

Send Alt+S ; To save the data just sent.

[EDIT] Also, on occasions the receiving app may throw up a MessageDlg(... in the middle of the loop. Can AutoIt watch for that and send an Enter to close it, IF it does pop up? [EDIT/]

Does this make sense to use AutoIT for this?

Thanks

Edited by DaveCanDo

The data is new every time it is passed, so I am guessing I would need to create a script then compile it on the run and then ShellExecute(AutoIt...

I doubt you'd have to do that...

Does this make sense to use AutoIT for this?

So far as I can tell, I see no problem with what you're trying to do... it is hard to tell what you're trying to do so maybe you can tell us what you are trying to do from a programatic stand point specificlly... (Everytime data is passed from/to where?)

trying to do from a programatic stand point specificlly... (Everytime data is passed from/to where?)

MY app is a database system containing 1000s of client names, addresses and details.

I want to click on one Record in my database to dispaly all of the data for one client.

I have REMOTE app that was NOT written by me and I want to transfer my data to it.

Therefore I need to...

Bring the REMOTE app to the foreground.

I need to Tab to the first input field in the REMOTE app.

I send "FirstName" data to the currently focused input field and follow it with a tab so the focus moves to the next input field in the REMOTE app

When I get to the ADDRESSES field in the REMOTE app, I need to send as many address as MY app has for that client. I do not know how many that is until run time as each client in MY app can have from 1 to 9 addresses.

In the REMOTE app, I have to create a NEW address record to receive the data from MY app for EACH address set I send, hence the need to LOOP in the script. When I have sent as many addresses as I have, I then tab to the next field in the REMOTE app which is Phone number.

Dave

I like the RANDOM caps, they are NICE. AutoIt is GOOD at repitition. Since your QUESTION only asked IF it was possible, I will not ANSWER how it is POSSIBLE. The answer to YOUR question is YES.

The CAPS were not RANDOM and given your somewhat rude and very condescending (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=condescending) reply, I will not even bother explaining further if you can't figure out something that obvious.

If this kind of treatment is indicative of the way newbies are "helped" on this board then there is little point me staying.

Obviously there are only two kinds of people on this board, those that know little and are seeking help, and those that know everything and like to huff and puff about how smart they are.

Thanks, but no thanks. AutoIt is not the only free software of this type. I will move on to more generous people.

Dave