Request for translator or updater! script.

Hello, I have been a user of AutoIt since version 2.6, I have only used it for the most basic of things since then and last year when I came across it again and saw all that it can now do I fell in love with it all over again. :)

I have been browsing the site and downloading various scripts since then as I feel that the best way to learn how and what the language can do is from experimenting with the scrips here.

Unfortunately I am not :( the brightest kid on the block and AutoIt has gone through some changes since then with the upshot that a lot of the scrips are now "broken" either because of syntax changes or removal of the function and replacement by a different method.

So my learning has stalled because in most cases when the dreaded msg "Stop" or "Continue anyway" pops up, the only thing I can do is Stop!

My question or appeal is this:

Can someone who has the God-like knowledge of the language (Past and Present) create a script that will run against a downloaded script or one I've written and perhaps am using a now defunct method that creates an error and either highlight what the "broken" code is with a suggestion as to what is now the recommended way to perform the action or simply translate the script into the current syntax.

I don't know if this exists already (I couldn't find it on the forum) I hope it is not too difficult to do and I'm sure that it would benifit many people like myself who are not up to speed with what is proper syntax and what is not in the current version or even if stuff I learned has been updated in a way that uses a different command altogether?

I would like to thank everyone who have given so much of their time and expertise in sharing the scripts that are on this site, hopefully one day I too can master AutoIt and give back something useful to everyone, and to Jonathan and all those who have made AutoIt what it is, I can only humbly say "You Rock, you've made my day!".

Thanks in advance.

Quote of the week:"BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN." -- UnknownWisdom of the ages:

• I'd be unstoppable... if not for law enforcement and physics.
  • Marriage, the number 1 cause of divorce.
  • Don't steal... the government hates competition.
  • Irish Government Motto: We’ve got what it takes to take what you’ve got.
  • Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.
  • Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.-- Ferenc Mantfeld
  • If you learn from your mistakes, then why ain't I a genius?! -- Anonymous
  • Remember, live every day as if it was your last day! one day you will be right.
  • How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
  • Sure my system is secure, it just locked up again.
  • I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.  ~Author Unknown

• Moderators

Wow, Do you have the slightest idea on how many changes have been made just over the years I've been a part of the forum? If not, take a look at your help file for changes, and have a glance here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19717

After reading that, I hope you find how rediculous that request is... My suggestion if you don't know how to code is take the tutorials. If you have old scripts you want to use, then learn to translate them yourself.

Edit:

I'd just like to add... if you run into a script that no longer works, or functions that no longer exist, you can use the Help file to find the changes... if you are still having issues, and can't figure out how to fix something "specific", then post the script with your attempts... and you'd find that there are many that are willing to help.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Wow, Do you have the slightest idea on how many changes have been made just over the years I've been a part of the forum? If not, take a look at your help file for changes, and have a glance here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19717

After reading that, I hope you find how rediculous that request is... My suggestion if you don't know how to code is take the tutorials. If you have old scripts you want to use, then learn to translate them yourself.

Edit:

I'd just like to add... if you run into a script that no longer works, or functions that no longer exist, you can use the Help file to find the changes... if you are still having issues, and can't figure out how to fix something "specific", then post the script with your attempts... and you'd find that there are many that are willing to help.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, unfortunately, it is because I realise that there have been so many changes and I get the "stop" "continue" msgbox that I felt bamboozled and thought there had to be an easier way than try go through it all and see what had changed/been removed etc for each and every one of these 'changes' thats why I figured someone with a good knowledge of the past and current syntax etc could have the ability to relatively quickly create a "fixer" script. A few changes in the language would be relatively wasy (even for me :) ) to parse the change history and update the scripts.

Thank you (and other forum members) for the offer to help out with any problems regarding scripts, so far I have not had a need to bother anyone for their help, as I am just a casual user of AutoIt and only use if for personal (trivial) purposes, but as I said in first post I am liking very much the new abilities and power of Autoit and I have a project in mind that is still in the design stage but I hope to use AutoIt to bring it to fruition.

Speaking of which, part of this new project will need me to be able to display data graphically and interact with it dynamically in a way similar to the application called "The Brain" (www.thebrain.com) is there any such flowcharting abilities in AutoIt or has anybody got any ideas how to implement them? I know that there is an Activex product from Lasalle technologies called Addflow which will do that and much much more but it costs big bucks and i could not afford to buy that for something that may only be distributed as freeware! ( Should I be posting this bit as a separate post requesting help? :) )

Please accept my apologies if my request appears rediculous, as indeed it might to someone who has been on the forum for so long and has seen the changes come and go, but bear in mind that I am practically a newbie, who has downloaded scripts to learn from and have been presented with a 'wall' of changes etc. that are presenting as broken scripts.

Till the next time, Bye.

Quote of the week:"BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN." -- UnknownWisdom of the ages:

• Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.
  • Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.-- Ferenc Mantfeld
  • Remember, live every day as if it was your last day! one day you will be right.
  • How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Hello again,

Was just wondering :) if anybody has any further thoughts on this topic before I let it go?

Just to show that there are others out there that have similar experiences as me, I am pasting the url's that I got from this forum with the searh string "broken scripts". :)

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70760

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70748

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62083

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48750

Bye.

• Moderators

Well, I've pretty much stated the obvious with this thread. You are expecting/hoping for a lot.

The problem with translation scripts, is languages do change. And as they change, these scripts need to be updated.

You're not just asking the coders of this forum to take a mass amount of time to do something, you're asking them to also maintain it as other things change in the future (Well, you might not be, but others like you will come in the future and ask them too).

If you don't understand what I'm saying... just take a look at one of the VB to AutoIt scripts in examples forum. You'll see it was made many years ago... and you'll see posts years later ... long after the original author quit posting to this forum even, asking for updates.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Yes, I have to agree with you, I am flogging a dead horse, I guess that I hoped that there were enough interest in it to spark a translator program, alas! :)

Bye.