All computer names on network

howdy all, i know you can use cmd to get a list of all the computer names on your network but is there an autoit function or something i could use to get this list, as i think you can not retrieve text from a cmd window, eg of program like this is winchat.exe which im sure most of you are familiar with, in winchat you click on conversation, then dial, and a box comes up with a drop down tree thing of all the computers on your network and the names of them, is there a way i can get those names to come up in a msgbox or something? i know you can use @ComputerName to get your name but can you get others?

qq

howdy all, i know you can use cmd to get a list of all the computer names on your network but is there an autoit function or something i could use to get this list, as i think you can not retrieve text from a cmd window, eg of program like this is winchat.exe which im sure most of you are familiar with, in winchat you click on conversation, then dial, and a box comes up with a drop down tree thing of all the computers on your network and the names of them, is there a way i can get those names to come up in a msgbox or something? i know you can use @ComputerName to get your name but can you get others?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can direct the output of "new view" to a file an parse that file, Syntax is:

NET VIEW [\\computername [/CACHE] | /DOMAIN[:domainname]]

NET VIEW /NETWORK:NW [\\computername]

RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c" & "net view /DOMAIN:BLUB > " & @TempDir & "\wslist.tmp", "",)
;--------------Workstation names in array $ws[]
$file_wslist = FileOpen(@TempDir & "\wslist.tmp", 0)
While $erroer <> - 1
    $line = FileReadLine($file_wslist)
    $erroer = @error
    If StringInStr($zeile, "\\") Then
        $ws[$wscount] = StringMid( (StringStripWS($line, 8)), 3)
        $wscount = $wscount + 1
    EndIf
Wend
FileClose($file_wslist)
FileDelete(@TempDir & "\wslist.tmp")

The NetBiosnames are stored in $ws[].

Beware: "Parser"(...) works for the german version of Windows 2000, results may vary with different languages.

hth, Tys

Edited by Tys

thanks for the reply, can i just compile this script?, i am trying to make a network chat program, much like "net send ip/computer name" in cmd, except in a much more gui style like winchat but not

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sure, this is DoWhatYouLike-Code;)

/Edit

You should not trust the generated list too much, Windows tends to keep dead Computers in the nertworkneighborhood for max. 20 Minutes, so do a

"If Ping($ws[], 30) Then" or similar before you try to connect to any of the workstations.

Edited by Tys