Nova lock

Nova

This is just a script ive been working on for awhile now, its a custom alternative to the (WinXp) Winkey and L computer lock.

Let me know what you think of it

http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/Nova/nova%20lock.zip

Full source is included.

Please note, in order to temporarily disable CTRL-ALT-DEL I used a 3rd party utility to disable WFP (Windows file protection) in order to rename taskmgr.exe so that its not called by the famous 3 fingure salute.

WFP is only temporarily disabled, its is re-enabled when you reboot.

Enjoy.

This is just a script ive been working on for awhile now, its a custom alternative to the (WinXp) Winkey and L computer lock.

Let me know what you think of it

http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/public/Nova/nova%20lock.zip

Full source is included.

Please note, in order to  temporarily disable CTRL-ALT-DEL I used a 3rd party utility to disable WFP (Windows file protection) in order to rename taskmgr.exe so that its not called by the famous 3 fingure salute.

WFP is only temporarily disabled, its is re-enabled when you reboot.

Enjoy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:;) Hello Nova i have download it, the style and sounds are very nice good job Nova wörks great!

I like it :idiot:

I hope you make more nice Gui3 ,i have adde your great source to my nice exampels thx for share it out :D

Glad you liked it DirtyBanditos!

I hope you make more nice Gui3

Dont worry im not going anywhere, tons more to come.

I have adde your great source to my nice exampels

What do you mean exactaly ? have you got a web page with autoit stuff on it ?

Any other opinions , id like to know what people think.

Edited by Nova

Glad you liked it DirtyBanditos!

Dont worry im not going anywhere, tons more to come.

What do you mean exactaly ? have you got a web page with autoit stuff on it ?

Any other opinions , id like to know what people think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Nova sry exactaly i have it adde to my autoit 3 exampels on my Pc :idiot: i learn from code exampels very good :D

but still i will make a Website for Autoit3 Exampels Bot and Stuff page,but i must learn Html and php :lol: But google sux many dealer and Trojaner have you a good link for make a nice Html Page wis forums wat save it=? :D

Thx Nova your last 2 Menu Projekts ar great,and good to learn from it ;)

Edited by DirtyBanditos

Well im glad to know Im helping someone.

I must say I have learnt alot myself in the past few months. Im gonna start working on my next gui project fairly soon now.

Please post any suggestions, comments or questions you may have about the above script. :idiot:

Nova

Yes, looking at your source gave me a few pointers for someting I'm working on, thanks.

BTW, you can disable Task Manager (and most of the other Ctrl-Alt-Del panel options, such as Change Password) by way of registry keys: (examples in v2 syntax)

RegWrite,REG_DWORD,HKEY_CURRENT_USER,Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion

\\Policies\\System,DisableTaskMgr,1

RegWrite,REG_DWORD,HKEY_CURRENT_USER,Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion

\\Policies\\System,DisableChangePassword,1

This results in the relevant button being greyed, and is probably a safer approach than renaming the file.

Hope this helps.

Edited by IanR

Nope that dosnt help at all :idiot:

When you disable ctrl-alt-del that way you still get a msg box when you press the 3 finger salute.

That msgbox overlaps my GUI and can give the user axcess to other windows for a second or 2.

My method stops this from happening.

Tnx anyway,

Nova

Edited by Nova

I was able to work around it because it has a few drawbacks:

1) It doesn't block the second screen I'm using, so if I had a folder on that desktop I could just browse to taskmgr1.exe or any other program able to kill other programs, run it and kill your script

2) Even when there's no folder visible on the second screen not all programs are minimized (for me miranda was running). I couldn't find a standard FileOpen dialog in miranda, but miranda had a function to run my browser which had a standard FileOpen dialog. So again i could simply browse to taskmgr1.exe and kill your script.

3) It doesn't block CTRL+ALT+DEL meaning you can still run taskmgr.exe as soon as it exists (e.g. an admin could rename the file over the network, run it and then kill your script)

4) pskill \\laptop novalock.exe

5) Your protection against running taskmgr doesn't help at all if somebody simply has another program assigned to it.

So it's a nice idea and would stop my little brother but it doesn't stand a chance if it's really attacked. But I don't think that's what you wanted anyway.

Edited by sugi

Tnx a million sugi,

I was hoping someone would really give my script a real testing !

I ented to try make it more secure.

Can you plz explain what you mean by your second screen ?

Have you got dual monitors ? or multiply desktops ?

I origionally had ctrl-alt-delete also disabled by a policy regedit, I think that would stop your 3) attack

As for the second monitor im unsure what you mean, plz explain !

I've got an extended desktop, so as for the coordinates my desktop ranges from -1280*-1024 to 1024*768 (see screenshot).

Your script only locked the monitor 1, the second monitor was freely accessible.

I forgot to mention another possibility:

When you left click on the second monitor your desktop is the active window. So you can select icons from your desktop, run programs that are there... and through the display properties you can also run a real explorer if there are no useful icons or folders on the desktop.

Besides your script also doesn't work if taskmgr.exe is already running which is often the case for admins because the rename will just fail.

I've got an extended desktop, so as for the coordinates my desktop ranges from -1280*-1024 to 1024*768 (see screenshot).

Ive never seen nor used that feature before, thats quite intresting.

Ill play with it for a while and try find ways to block from exiting my script.

Besides your script also doesn't work if taskmgr.exe is already running which is often the case for admins because the rename will just fail.

Ok thats easily fixed ill write an if winactive then winkill.

Tnx again sugi, plz keep posting all ur ideas and suggestions.

Nova