FileGetShortName

Hey guys,

Quick question. I am using FileGetShortName to extract the name of a random file that always start with APE... I am using the following code but can't seem to capture the file. The problem is with this line

$tmp = FileFindFirstFile(FileGetShortName(@ScriptDir)&"APE\*")

with this being the specific problem .......FileGetShortName(@ScriptDir)&"APE\*")

Does anyone know how to format FileGetShortName to return a string the always starts with APE but is following by a random sequence of strings?

Here is the full snippet

#include <file.au3>

$tmp = FileFindFirstFile(FileGetShortName(@ScriptDir)&"APE\*")
$LogName = FileFindNextFile($tmp )
MsgBox(0, "", $LogName)
$CountLines = _FileCountLines($LogName)
MsgBox(64, "Error log recordcount", "There are " & $CountLines & " in the error.log.")
Exit
Edited by Clay

Doesn't do exactly what I want. In this isntance the name of the File is APE_CRITICAL_ERRORS_FMAS_2008-05-30

I want to be able to get just the name of that file not the entire system root directory ..... I want to be able to do some operations with the file and with the entire path it is not much help to me.

But thanks for your input... any other suggestions?

Edited by Clay

Try removing the FileGetShortName from FileGetFirstFile() and put it into FileGetNextFile() instead.

I don't have AutoIt on the computer I'm using at the moment so I can't test it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Try removing the FileGetShortName from FileGetFirstFile() and put it into FileGetNextFile() instead.

I don't have AutoIt on the computer I'm using at the moment so I can't test it.

I've tried that but tried it again nontheless but with no success...... thanks anyways, I aprpeciate you trying to help me even if you don't have Autoit Installed at the moment.

From your original description I'm confused why your using FileGetShortName at all... try this;

$search = FileFindFirstFile("APE*") ;searches for any file starting with APE in same directory as script

; Check if the search was successful
If $search = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "No files/directories matched the search pattern")
    Exit
EndIf

While 1
    $file = FileFindNextFile($search) 
    If @error Then ExitLoop

MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file)
WEnd

; Close the search handle
FileClose($search)
Edited by someone
While ProcessExists('Andrews bad day.exe')
	BlockInput(1)
	SoundPlay('Music.wav')
	SoundSetWaveVolume('Louder')
WEnd

From your original description I'm confused why your using FileGetShortName at all... try this;

$search = FileFindFirstFile("APE*") ;searches for any file starting with APE in same directory as script

If $search = -1 Then
    Exit
EndIf

While 1
    $file = FileFindNextFile($search) 
    If @error Then ExitLoop

MsgBox(4096, "File:", $file)
WEnd

; Close the search handle
FileClose($search)

Someone ...who ever you are,

You were right ... I was using the function wrong. I confused the outcome of what I was trying to get with other uses of the function that I had previously implemented. Thanks for the correction. It worked. I have what I need now...I think :<

Just laying here thinking about it and I realized what is wrong.

#include <file.au3>
$tmp = FileFindFirstFile(@ScriptDir & "\APE\*")
$LogName = FileGetShortName(FileFindNextFile($tmp ))
MsgBox(0, "", $LogName)
MsgBox(64, "Error log recordcount", "There are " & $CountLines & " in the error.log.")
Exit

You did not show how you intend to randomize it so this may need some modification. You are not randomizing by using "*". That's just a wildcard that says get any file. and because you don't have a loop after FileFindNextFile Then it will only return the first file found even if it is actualy a folder.

What was wrong with the random example you were given by monoceres?

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Just laying here thinking about it and I realized what is wrong.

#include <file.au3>
$tmp = FileFindFirstFile(@ScriptDir & "\APE\*")
$LogName = FileGetShortName(FileFindNextFile($tmp ))
MsgBox(0, "", $LogName)
Exit

You did not show how you intend to randomize it so this may need some modification. You are not randomizing by using "*". That's just a wildcard that says get any file. and because you don't have a loop after FileFindNextFile Then it will only return the first file found even if it is actualy a folder.

What was wrong with the random example you were given by monoceres?

GEO,

This is the scoop.

I am working on a project where I am creating installation files for probably 80 products.... to test that the installations are configured properly I use this huge script that I have built to run through everything and do Sanity Test. I have two log files that are the output of the script... one is a log with all the processes that the script completed, the other is one that list erros, and critical warnings about things that are not working properly. I only want to be notified of the critical stuff (since there are like 80 products, I dont want to have to go through all the log files for all the products at this point)...

The log containing the critical stuff will only show up if a critical error occured. If one does occur and I do have errors, on the script exit I want it to complete a few operations on the Critical log file and then send me an email notifying me of the critical stuff that I need to fix...

Thats why I wanted to check the particular folder for a log file starting with APE.... the files would be

APE_AA_BBB_ProductA.log

APE_AA_BBB_ProductB.log

for example.

The function to do this turned out to be really simple... I just had a problem with FileFindFirstFile

The completed function looks like this

Func logVaild()
;searches for any file starting with APE in same directory as script
        $tmp = FileFindFirstFile(@ScriptDir & "APE_Logs\APE*") 
        If $tmp = -1 Then
            Exit
        EndIf
        $LogName = FileFindNextFile($tmp )
        ******MORE CODE HERE
                                ******MORE CODE HERE
        FileClose($tmp)
        Exit
EndFunc

monoceres solution gave me something to the extent C:\.......APE_Logs\APE~1.log

Thanks all you guys for you help

Edited by Clay

Understood. Because of the \ before APE, I assumed APE was a folder.

George