Sendkey hangs system for 2-3 minutes

I have a 1 line program that sends 1 word when the associated hot key is pressed. This frequently hangs Explorer and does not insert the text for 2 - 3 minutes. Everything else in the system seems to work, the tray will not pop up during the hang up time(controlled by Explorer??), after the 2 -3 minutes the text is inserted. I can also manually type the text and continue with the program, later the text will appear in any text input location I happen to be in.

It does not make any difference what program I am attempting to insert the text into(I've tried IE, Notebook, Word, Excel, etc..).

It happens if I have 1 or more programs running.

I haven't been able to isolate anything unique when the hang up happens, other than I pressed the hot key.

It happens on my computer at home as well as the one at the office.

Anyone hear of this problem?

Thanks,

Jesse

It would be helpful to see your source code.

Edited by Airwolf123
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MCSA | Languages: AutoIt, C, SQL, .NETBooks: AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide - $7.99 - O'Reilly Media - September 2007-------->[u]AutoIt v3 Development - newbie to g33k[/u] - Coming Soon - Fate Publishing - Spring 2013UDF Libraries: SkypeCOM UDF Library | ADUC Computers OU Cleanup | Find PixelChecksumExamples: Skype COM Examples - Skype4COMLib Examples converted from VBS to AutoIt

This is a pretty complex program:

Send("<-Reject")

associated to hot key Ctl - Alt X

another one:

Send("-Next-")

associated to hot key Ctl - Alt A

The .EXE files are on the desktop. The "Start in" directory is c:\Program Files\

Set to run minimized

As suggested, I tried other AutoIt programs with the same result. While I have not tried a lot of hot key started programs, I think the AutoIt ones are the only ones that hang like that.

If I could try to clarify, I believe JBH is referring to the Shortcut Key functionality in Windows Explorer when referring to hot keys in the posts above, so we are seeing the entire source code of the scripts described. I'm making this clarification because AutoIt has its own hotkey functionality in the form of HotKeySet, which can monitor key combinations while a script is running.

I don't know what would cause this. May we know what version of AutoIt you have installed and what Windows version you're running, JBH?

Update: Compiled both examples to EXEs, created shortcuts and assigned the Shortcut Keys described. Opened and and targeted a new Notepad window, tested the Shortcut Keys and saw the expected output from Send with no delays. Using the current release version of AutoIt 3.2.12.0 on Win XP SP2.

Edited by DaveF

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

...Update: Compiled both examples to EXEs, created shortcuts and assigned the Shortcut Keys described...

Ditto - sort of.

Since you used the OP's Send code, I tested MsgBox and a different OS Shortcut key. No delays seen.

JBH,

You said that the exe is on the desktop,

...but the "Start in:" is c:\Program Files\

Why wouldn't the "Start in:" point to the desktop???

Where is the OS shortcut located - on the desktop also?

What anti virus program are you using?

Try assigning an OS shortcut key to notepad and see if it hangs. I've seen hang times of 10 to 20 seconds on XP Pro SP2, but not 2 -3 minutes.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]