IP-Based File Sharing

Here is the situation: I have a very underpowered workstation at work, and a very powerful personal laptop. I have IT permission to use the laptop just so long as I don't access the company's intra or internet. I can setup an ad-hoc wireless network between the computers, so long as there is no network bridging on the workstation.

Right now, working on my personal laptop is worlds faster than on the work computer, and I have been doing file transfers via thumb drive. It's getting a little old.

Would it be worth my while to attempt to write an IP based filesharing system that was specific to one network connection (I will have the workstation connected to two networks and would need to select the proper interfact), or is this a pipe dream?

EDIT - Oh yeah, the reason that I am doing this is that filesharing is disabled for ad-hoc networks in firewall settings and I cannot install ANYTHING on the computer. I can run an executable though, so I am hoping that autoit can help.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Orange

Edited by orange

Here is the situation: I have a very underpowered workstation at work, and a very powerful personal laptop. I have IT permission to use the laptop just so long as I don't access the company's intra or internet. I can setup an ad-hoc wireless network between the computers, so long as there is no network bridging on the workstation.

Right now, working on my personal laptop is worlds faster than on the work computer, and I have been doing file transfers via thumb drive. It's getting a little old.

Would it be worth my while to attempt to write an IP based filesharing system that was specific to one network connection (I will have the workstation connected to two networks and would need to select the proper interfact), or is this a pipe dream?

EDIT - Oh yeah, the reason that I am doing this is that filesharing is disabled for ad-hoc networks in firewall settings and I cannot install ANYTHING on the computer. I can run an executable though, so I am hoping that autoit can help.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Orange

What kind of local authority do you have over the workstation (Administrator, Power User, User, etc.? Have you tried ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)?
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MCSA | Languages: AutoIt, C, SQL, .NETBooks: AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide - $7.99 - O'Reilly Media - September 2007-------->[u]AutoIt v3 Development - newbie to g33k[/u] - Coming Soon - Fate Publishing - Spring 2013UDF Libraries: SkypeCOM UDF Library | ADUC Computers OU Cleanup | Find PixelChecksumExamples: Skype COM Examples - Skype4COMLib Examples converted from VBS to AutoIt

What kind of local authority do you have over the workstation (Administrator, Power User, User, etc.? Have you tried ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)?

User authority - and I am blocked from internet connection sharing. The only permitted connection between computers is a non-bridged ad-hoc network.

My question more hinges on the network interface problem. Can an autoit program send packets only to one interface? Its my understanding the the default network interface in windows is where all packets are sent. The default is set by the user (which I can't do because of admin rights) and otherwise defaults to the fastest internet connection - in my case, the ethernet and not the wireless ad-hoc network.

Thoughts?

User authority - and I am blocked from internet connection sharing. The only permitted connection between computers is a non-bridged ad-hoc network.

My question more hinges on the network interface problem. Can an autoit program send packets only to one interface? Its my understanding the the default network interface in windows is where all packets are sent. The default is set by the user (which I can't do because of admin rights) and otherwise defaults to the fastest internet connection - in my case, the ethernet and not the wireless ad-hoc network.

Thoughts?

Which ports ARE open for Ad-Hoc connections? You could always create a client/server socket connection over an available port. You'd have to create a client app and a server app.
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MCSA | Languages: AutoIt, C, SQL, .NETBooks: AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide - $7.99 - O'Reilly Media - September 2007-------->[u]AutoIt v3 Development - newbie to g33k[/u] - Coming Soon - Fate Publishing - Spring 2013UDF Libraries: SkypeCOM UDF Library | ADUC Computers OU Cleanup | Find PixelChecksumExamples: Skype COM Examples - Skype4COMLib Examples converted from VBS to AutoIt