DllCall, MessageBox?

Hey

Just started with AutoIT scripting :)

Im trying to make a MsgBox using the MessageBox API ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645505(VS.85).aspx )

Heres my code, I want to have a yes and a no button, but this code doesnt work :/

DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "MessageBoxA", "int", 0, "string", "Hey", "string", "Whats up?", "uint", "MB_YESNO")

I tried various things. I do get the messagebox, but not with the yes and no button.

I know u can easily use MsgBox(0, etc...), but I want to do it this way, so I can use the function DllCall for other APIs.

Thanks in advance :)

-optiplex

• Moderators

"string" is not one of the "valid types". I'd suggest re-reading that section.

Also using the search feature of the forum could answer many of your questions:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=531229

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

AutoIt has MsgBox() so clueless ppl like you could create messagebox easily without the headaches of trying to figure out basic programming concepts such as data types and constants. I don't know why you are going against this. Now that AutoIt's MsgBox has parent hwnd parameter too, there's no reason to DllCall that API whatsoever.

Edited by Siao

"be smart, drink your wine"

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, I got it working, but I dont see why its not working if u use "MB_YESNO" instead of "4" :)

That MB_YESNO is a constant defined in a C/C++ header file... that isn't defined in AutoIt. For more info, go on Google, and lookup "#define", and you'll see why it's not working the way you think it is.

• Moderators

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, I got it working, but I dont see why its not working if u use "MB_YESNO" instead of "4" :)

Well, let's think about this.

1. You pass MB_YESNO as a string, but declare it as a unsigned integer.

2. In order to make things such as that work, you must declare them first:

ie...

Global Const $MB__YESNO = 4

$aVal = DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "MessageBox", "int", 0, "str", "Hey", "str", "Whats up?", "uint", $MB__YESNO)
MsgBox(64, "Info", "Value received from DLL MsgBox = " & $aVal[0])
Note the double underscore, because AutoIt already uses $MB_YESNO as a constant.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.