Problems with trigonometry

I really hope someone can explain this.

When using the Sin and Cos functions, it seems perfectly natural to write:

$pi = 4 * ATan(1)
$degToRad = $pi / 180
$x = Sin(180 * $degToRad)

But this produces some really weird results. And I've worked out that it's not the $degToRad variable because Sin($pi) also produces 1.22460635382238e-016. (For those of you who didn't know, it should be 0) I get similar results for the following:

Sin(360 * $degToRad) shows -2.44921270764475e-016

Cos(90 * $degToRad) shows 6.12303176911189e-017

And a few others. In short, any trigonometric function that gives a result of 0 actually produces a random and incredibly small non-zero number. Explanations?

Hi!

I always use the _Radian() function in the math UDF to get everything right.

And as you can see in this example, Sin(360 degrees) returns zero:

#include <math.au3>
$x = Sin(_Radian(360))
MsgBox(0,"",$x)

:)

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Thanks for the reply, and I like the idea, i'll make sure I do that, but I still get this even with your script:

Posted Image

I'm thinking, maybe it's my autoit version? I've got 3.2.8.1 so i'm going to get the latest version now.

Thanks for the reply, and I like the idea, i'll make sure I do that, but I still get this even with your script:

Posted Image

I'm thinking, maybe it's my autoit version? I've got 3.2.8.1 so i'm going to get the latest version now.

It isn't anything to do with the AutoIt version, it's a limitation of digital computers.

2 * 10^-16 is pretty small and most people would not be working to 15 decimal places. It's like measuring the distance to the sun to an accuracy of less than the thickness of a hair.

$pi = 4 * ATan(1)
$degToRad = $pi / 180
ConsoleWrite("Answer = " & Round($x ,15) & @CRLF)
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

It isn't anything to do with the AutoIt version, it's a limitation of digital computers.

2 * 10^-16 is pretty small and most people would not be working to 15 decimal places. It's like measuring the distance to the sun to an accuracy of less than the thickness of a hair.

$pi = 4 * ATan(1)
 $degToRad = $pi / 180
 ConsoleWrite("Answer = " & Round($x ,15) & @CRLF)
I still think it's weird because this:

#include <math.au3>
$x = Sin(_Radian(0))
MsgBox(0,"",$x)

Is returning zero and 360 is exactly the same since sin has a period of 360 degrees

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

@martin

sorry for the delay, yea, it could be that, but the round function won't completely rectify the situation as the error gets larger with the angle so less decimals are accurate. You need to find the smallest match so that x<360.

For anyone who cares this does the job quite nicely and can be modified for radians:

#include <Math.au3>
$angle = Smallest360($angle)
$pi = 4 * ATan(1)
$result = Sin(_Radian(720))
MsgBox(64,"Result",$result)

Func Smallest360($number)
    ParamCheck($number)
    $div = $number / 360
    $times = Int($div)
    $subt = $times * 360
    $result = $number - $subt
    Return $result
EndFunc

(edit:)

@monoceres

Sin(0) is returning 0 because the algorithm (probably CORDIC if you really care) doesnt actually do anything to get a value for 0 (look up the Taylor expansion + youll see what I mean) so only multipes of 180 above 0 will incur an error.

Edited by logicBird

ParamCheck($number)
    $div = $number / 360
    $times = Int($div)
    $subt = $times * 360
    Return $result
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ûú®¢×¬jez¶§vÉW«fjV³Ê«²ÏnÜ,¯'è®Ø^¡÷í¢jëh×6Func smallest360($number)
    If $number<360 Then Return $number
    Return smallest360($number-360)
EndFunc
Edited by TheMadman

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and i'm not sure about the former -Alber EinsteinPractice makes perfect! but nobody's perfect so why practice at all?http://forum.ambrozie.ro

Func smallest360($number)
    If $number<360 Then Return $number
    Return smallest360($number-360)
EndFunc

Smaller and faster

Func smallest360(ByRef $numb);corrected parameter after SmOke_N pointed out mistake
 While $numb > 360
    $numb -= 360
 WEnd
EndFunc

@logicBird

I think you meant this

#include <Math.au3>
$angle = 720
$angle = Smallest360($angle)
$pi = 4 * ATan(1)
$result = Sin(_Radian($angle))
MsgBox(64,"Result",$result)

; ParamCheck($number)
    $div = $number / 360
    $times = Int($div)
    $subt = $times * 360
    Return $result
EndFunc

But it doesn't affect the example you gave when $angle = 180.

Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

• Moderators

Smaller and faster

Func smallest360(ByRef $num)
 While $numb > 360
    $numb -= 360
 WEnd
EndFunc
Typo it seems, $numb (unless global) isn't the variable in the param :) .

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Typo it seems, $numb (unless global) isn't the variable in the param :) .

The variable $numb was probably just the state of my brain.

Thanks SmOke_N, I'll correct it.

Then I'm going to bed.

Edited by martin