Need Advice on Public File Area

calm_observer

Hi,

I've written a small utility for a forum I post on and want to make it available to members of the forum. I plan on providing all the source code, but for those people on the forum I would like to distribute it as an .exe.

I notice that the public file area warns about .exe files and that 'any file could be deleted or modified by anyone'. Is this a problem? What recommendations does anyone have?

Thanks,

Bob

• Developers

Hi,

I've written a small utility for a forum I post on and want to make it available to members of the forum.  I plan on providing all the source code, but for those people on the forum I would like to distribute it as an .exe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you run any program posted by somebody with a newbie status?

Or even with any status as long as your not sure about what it really does ?

I notice that the public file area warns about .exe files and that 'any file could be deleted or modified by anyone'.  Is this a problem?  What recommendations does anyone have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its what it says.. public .. ie anybody could overwrite it.

Is that a problem? It shouldn't be but history has proven different.....

So if you want to make sure it isn't modified in any way you need to post it somewhere else.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Make a .zip attachment with the source code and .exe (make usre the .exe can be decompiled)

If it's over 1mb then something is wrong.

Offering any help to anyone (to my capabilities of course)Want to say thanks? Click here! [quote name='Albert Einstein']Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.[/quote][quote name='Wolvereness' date='7:35PM Central, Jan 11, 2005']I'm NEVER wrong, I call it something else[/quote]

You could make a account on freewebs and upload your stuff there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Killaz, shouldn't you be at school?

This works, but it's hard for someone to go get the items because of web site blockers and things of that matter.

Offering any help to anyone (to my capabilities of course)Want to say thanks? Click here! [quote name='Albert Einstein']Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.[/quote][quote name='Wolvereness' date='7:35PM Central, Jan 11, 2005']I'm NEVER wrong, I call it something else[/quote]

Killaz, shouldn't you be at school?

This works, but it's hard for someone to go get the items because of web site blockers and things of that matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am one hour ahead of you, I live in Eastern Time zone

Pluss the annoying Bess filter dosn't block Autoitscript.com :idiot:

Edited by killaz219

Would you run any program posted by somebody with a newbie status?

Newbie status here doesn't mean newbie status everywhere. :D

Or even with any status as long as your not sure about what it really does ?Its what it says..  public .. ie anybody could overwrite it. 

Is that a problem? It shouldn't be but history has proven different.....

That's why I asked :idiot:

So if you want to make sure it isn't modified in any way you need to post it somewhere else.

Thanks for the advice