RegWrite with a $variable

Quick question..

Why doesn't this work?

$Key = '"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\'
RegWrite($Key& 'Active Setup Temp Folders","StateFlags0667","REG_DWORD","00000000"')

The error is gone after some attempts, but it does nott write anything in the registry.

I'm just curious, writing the complete sentence is just taking a lot of space ^^

Greetings

Rick

$Key = '"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\'
RegWrite($Key& 'Active Setup Temp Folders","StateFlags0667","REG_DWORD","00000000"')oÝ÷ Ûú®¢×yÆ®±ì¨º
-i¸ ¦ºé°Ør¢êêºZ¶*'ªä²Ø^­äáy Z¸­zØZ¶+-®'¶±yË­z+rÛ­+ºÚ"µÍYÕÜ]J ÌÎNÉ][ÝÒÑVWÓÐÐSÓPPÒSIÌLÔÓÑÐTIÌLÓZXÜÜÛÙ    ÌLÕÚ[ÝÜÉÌLÐÝ[Ú[ÛÌLÑ^ÜÌLÕÛ[YPØXÚÉÌLÐXÝ]HÙ][ÛÉ][ÝË    ][ÝÔÝ]QYÜÌ
É][ÝË    ][ÝÔQ×ÑÓÔ ][ÝË  ][ÝÌ  ][ÝÉÌÎNÊoÝ÷ Ù.+ÞEè®+^jYij¶¦z׫²)íçâ®Ëij¶¦z׫.${¶°êÞÊ«ªê-jwwõªÞ¶§Û!¢é]mç³ ¨®··
.ÖÞjëh×6$Key = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\'
RegWrite($Key& 'Active Setup Temp Folders',"StateFlags0667","REG_DWORD","00000000")

When removing the ' ' at $Key an error occurs,

\\..\Cleanup.au3 (3) : ==> Unterminated string.:

$Key = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\

So far i thought i knew, the ' can be used when a command has the " " characters in use.

Example:

RunWait('\\server\InterChk\ESXP\Setup.exe -updp "\\server\InterChk\ESXP" -upds "http://es-latest-2.sophos.com/update" -user "domain\Sophos" -pwd "secret" -mng yes')

So how would you do it?

Edited by Ruigerock

I think you have a general misunderstanding of quotation marks in autoit.

$Key = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\

This string is NOT terminated! Means you tell autoit to assign a string to a variable and "let autoit guess" where the string ends.

Tell autoit exactly where the string ends, and it will work.

I think you have a general misunderstanding of quotation marks in autoit.

$Key = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\oÝ÷ Ù8b²Ëkx"°Óµêæv­yÝ÷1槳*.µéejëhÛhjË"v¬¶¸§Ú½ªâi¹^jwjºezÖ®¶­ç¬²«¨·^­ëazËkxÛzYZºÚ"µìZrÙr«zØ^²Úâ§vƧv+pYp¢¹?ªê-x'£!ÊØ^²Úâ¬mz¹¢«^vØZ¶+0(®±çmíýßا¶»-{¦¦WqÊ+v)ඨºØ^ßÝýj·©jË^vX¤zØb±«­¢+ÙI]É¥Ñ ÌäìÅÕ½Ðí!-e}1=
1}5
!%9ÀäÈíM=Q]IÀäÈí5¥É½Í½ÐÀäÈí]¥¹½ÝÌÀäÈí
ÕÉɹÑYÉÍ¥½¸ÀäÈíáÁ±½ÉÈÀäÈíY½±Õµ
¡ÌÀäÈíÑ¥ÙMÑÕÀQµÀ½±ÉÌÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐíMÑѱÌÀØØÜÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐíI}]=IÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÀÀÀÀÀÀÀÀÅÕ½ÐìÌäì¤

I don't agree with that .. but my script ain't working 100% so i might be wrong.

I know why the string is not terminated, that is why i used the ' ' in the first example..

Yes. The single quote characters ' are one way to start and terminate a string. Another way are double quote characters ".

I just dont understand why you keep mixing them like this:

$Key = '"HKEY_LOC....'oÝ÷ Ù.­æ¥+!¢é]aj÷ªê-jÛazËZ®Ú¶¢{^ÚjËkx.W¬³*.z0{¶° Z²'­ëêk¡¹^+0Ømä^jâµç(f§u«­¢+ÙI]É¥Ñ ÀÌØí-äµÀìÌäíÑ¥ÙMÑÕÀQµÀ½±ÉÌÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐíMÑѱÌÀØØÜÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐíI}]=IÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÀÀÀÀÀÀÀÀÅÕ½ÐìÌäì¤

You are mixing ' and " here, without any reason.

One tip: Do not mix them, stick to one type. Be it ' or " doesn't matter. Just dont mix them unless you need one of them as the content of a string. And for RegWrite you usually do not need both.

To solve your problem, I suggest you remove all quotation marks (single and double) and then think where you set which ones.

If you just want a solution without understanding the reason, on the first line remove all 3 quotations marks and start and end the string with ". On the second line replace the first ' with a " and delete the last '.

Oke thanks sugi, i was confused with the quotations in a different way.

I don't know why i never bumped into this problem before, but i get the picture now.

Msgboxing the $key value gives an msgbox value without quotations in it.

Therefore i used an extra " (twice) to make the correct pasted value needed for RegWrite.

My problem was in that thought, cause using a $variable doesn't need quotes at all (invisible quotes ^^).

Greetings!

Oke thanks sugi, i was confused with the quotations in a different way.

I don't know why i never bumped into this problem before, but i get the picture now.

Msgboxing the $key value gives an msgbox value without quotations in it.

Therefore i used an extra " (twice) to make the correct pasted value needed for RegWrite.

My problem was in that thought, cause using a $variable doesn't need quotes at all (invisible quotes ^^).

Greetings!

You might find this code useful if you want to write more than one value to the same Registry Key

CODE

Const $InstallDir = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\YourKey\YourSubDir"

Global $WinInstall_ss = "YourValue", $WinInstall_dd = "YourValue" etc

Global $RData[10] = ["WinInstall_ss|REG_SZ|" & $WinInstall_ss, "WinInstall_dd|REG_SZ|" & $WinInstall_dd, "Install_ss|REG_SZ|" & $Install_ss, _

"Install_dd|REG_SZ|" & $Install_dd, "Licence_ss|REG_SZ|" & $Licence_ss, "Licence_dd|REG_SZ|" & $Licence_dd, "Machine|REG_SZ|" & $Machine, _

"Process|REG_SZ|" & $Process, "User|REG_SZ|" & $User, "Version|REG_SZ|" & $Version]

For $i = 0 To UBound($RData) - 1

$RegData = _StringSplit($RData[$i], "|")

RegWrite($InstallDir, $RegData[0], $RegData[1], $RegData[2]) ;Write the Registry Keys

Next

Exit