ControlGetText isn't reading anything.

I cannot get this command to read other programs like, lets say an msn edit control. I am using the following simple code:

$window="[i]<Contact's Name>[/i]"
ConsoleWrite(ControlGetText($window, "", "Edit1"))

I have tried Edit1 through 9 and tried a few examples in the help such as "[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:1]" and that does not work in notepad or other windows such as msn...

"Edit1" will work in notepad, but when I have a message in my contact window, it will not read the message, can anyone explain how I can properly read controls on other programs?

-Joscpe

• Moderators

I cannot get this command to read other programs like, lets say an msn edit control. I am using the following simple code:

$window="[i]<Contact's Name>[/i]"
ConsoleWrite(ControlGetText($window, "", "Edit1"))

I have tried Edit1 through 9 and tried a few examples in the help such as "[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:1]" and that does not work in notepad or other windows such as msn...

"Edit1" will work in notepad, but when I have a message in my contact window, it will not read the message, can anyone explain how I can properly read controls on other programs?

Most custom controls like that cannot be read in the standard API call format such as ControlGetText.

Note: AutoIt only works with standard Microsoft controls - some applications write their own custom controls which may look like a standard MS control but may resist automation. Experiment!

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Most custom controls like that cannot be read in the standard API call format such as ControlGetText.

Damn!

Thanks for responding. Do you know another way of reading it then?

Wait, it doesn't work on Firefox either, I doubt that uses a custom control.

Edited by Joscpe

-Joscpe

• Moderators

Wait, it doesn't work on Firefox either, I doubt that uses a custom control.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong lol :) ...

The only ways I can thing to read these are an ocr, or to inject a dll into the executables and catch the text before they print it themselves (of course, you'd probably be responsible then of writing the text).

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.