compiler directive for no decompile?

• Moderators

Funny, I have the latest beta (and of course same holds for release) and in the extras folder there's a Decompile .exe to script, wonder what that is then?

IVAN

For decompiling your scripts that were written with 3.2.5.1 and below.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

As is noted on the dialog. :)

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

DaveF + Smoke_N:

Thanks, I got quite a shock there.

IVAN

Don't feel too safe.

There were a lot of threads asking questions upon decompilation:

"I want it", "I'm afraid of", "It's impossible", "no, it IS possible", "Why was it removed?" ....

:P

The bottomline is two lines:

1.) It's a decision made by the Devs to remove decompilation (Don't ask for it)

2.) There ARE people who can decompile any version of Autoit.

But these black hats aren't a Autoit specific issue: Decompilation is possible for virtually any language.

You, as the Author, cannot decompile your scripts, at least not with autoit included tools. So carefully save your source codes :)

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Don't feel too safe.

There were a lot of threads asking questions upon decompilation:

"I want it", "I'm afraid of", "It's impossible", "no, it IS possible", "Why was it removed?" ....

:P

The bottomline is two lines:

1.) It's a decision made by the Devs to remove decompilation (Don't ask for it)

2.) There ARE people who can decompile any version of Autoit.

But these black hats aren't a Autoit specific issue: Decompilation is possible for virtually any language.

You, as the Author, cannot decompile your scripts, at least not with autoit included tools. So carefully save your source codes :)

Regards, Rudi.

Rudi,

Thx, quite aware how the issue evolved, but I'm not that worried about those few who can decompile. I was more worried about a decompilation tool distributed with autoit for those who cannot. In any case when a script is worth it, it is a good idea to obfuscate it, but this procedure complicates modifications or enhancements if you're not that organized.

IVAN

Rudi,

Thx, quite aware how the issue evolved, but I'm not that worried about those few who can decompile. I was more worried about a decompilation tool distributed with autoit for those who cannot.

AutoIt decompilation is forbidden subject on this forum so be carefull to not be closed ticket/banned

Just for your info: Few people may be more than few people you think.

In any case when a script is worth it, it is a good idea to obfuscate it, but this procedure complicates modifications or enhancements if you're not that organized.

IVAN

Just do obfuscation only before compilation on COPY of your original script.

But there are also deobfuscator tools.