"Variable used without being declared" (N00b)

I have a script running which is throwing me a message: Variable used without being declared

I am still new to programming and its methodolical rules, but slowly getting there.

It simply goes:

If $A = $B Then

$C = 1

EndIf

MsgBox(0,"","The Number is "&$C)

I have a script running which is throwing me a message: Variable used without being declared

I am still new to programming and its methodolical rules, but slowly getting there.

It simply goes:

If $A = $B Then

$C = 1

EndIf

That doesn't even make sense. What's the value of B?

and you have to declare your variables, look up Local, Dim, Global

children may smile; the wise ponder- Dr. Holmes of Hardvard Medical School on an Ether BingeLove Makes The World Go Round?So does five shots of tequila. What's your point?[quote name='Valik' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:13 PM']wraithdu, 24 hours. Said I have a bad attitude, just driving the point home with a ban.[/quote]This is classic. :)

That doesn't even make sense. What's the value of B?

and you have to declare your variables, look up Local, Dim, Global

It doesn't matter what $A and $B are its irrelavant to the example... doesn't matter, will check the help file again.

Thanks anyways.

It simply goes:

If $A = $B Then

$C = 1

EndIf

It means that your variables have to be equal to something before you start using them.

$A = 1
$B = 2

If $A = $B Then
$C = 1
EndIf

If they aren't set to anything how does the program know if $A = $B?

Other People's Stuff:Andy Flesner's AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide[topic="34302"]Locodarwin's ExcelCom_UDF[/topic][topic="61090"]MrCreatorR's Opera Library[/topic]

My apologises.

I have given the appearance that I do not understand variables due to not showing what $A and $B is declared as in my original example, my bad!

Let me rephrase:

Can you declare a variable during an IF statement? example:

If FileExists("c:\example1.txt") Then
$var = "red"
EndIf

If FileExists("c:\example2.txt") Then
$var = "blue"
EndIf

If FileExists("c:\example3.txt") Then
$var = "green"
EndIf

MsgBox(0,"","The colour is now "&$var); only 1 of the above files will ever exist

From muncherw's post, obviously No it needs to be declared outside the If Statement.

However the above works on Windows XP but fails on Vista 64bit with my original post: Variable used without being declared

Is there better way to write this, is this something that array or loop might be useful for?

Edited by DarkBoost

Yes you absolutely can do that.

Thats what I thought and this works with Windows XP 32bit and Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

but now failing with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit it this an incompatible issue with AutoIT and Vista Ultimate 64bit?

Thats what I thought and this works with Windows XP 32bit and Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

but now failing with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit it this an incompatible issue with AutoIT and Vista Ultimate 64bit?

There shouldn't be a "incompatible issue". Have you tried the things noted in the helpfile? Things like=

Did you run the script as administrator?

Used the #requireadmin?

Disabled UAC?

There shouldn't be a "incompatible issue". Have you tried the things noted in the helpfile? Things like=

Did you run the script as administrator?

Used the #requireadmin?

Disabled UAC?

Or there's the obvious question. Do the files exist?! It's obvious that with his code, the variables are only declared if the files exist I.E, no "Else" statement.

EDIT:

AutoIt works on Vista. Vista just doesn't work.

Amen.

Edited by KentonBomb

I have run the script as an Administrator and tested with the #RequireAdmin included and UAC has always been disabled.

To my understanding, the IF statement should always default as TRUE unless specified, so if the FileExists = True then

it should run whatever is declared in the Then statement otherwise it will EndIf. Please let me know if this is not correct.

I have attached a screenshot of the code including the exact error (maybe this will help?)

Update: This is failing for both Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and 64bit... this is only working for Windows XP 32bit

Any ideas?

Edited by DarkBoost

I have run the script as an Administrator and tested with the #RequireAdmin included and UAC has always been disabled.

To my understanding, the IF statement should always default as TRUE unless specified, so if the FileExists = True then

it should run whatever is declared in the Then statement otherwise it will EndIf. Please let me know if this is not correct.

I have attached a screenshot of the code including the exact error (maybe this will help?)

Update: This is failing for both Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and 64bit... this is only working for Windows XP 32bit

Any ideas?

I'm also a total AI beginner and I don't know anything about Vista but that said... If you are doing these If statements and say number 2 is true, then if it gets to number 3, then it's false again. Does AI have a Case or Select statement? From other languages I've used, you need to drop out of the eval mode when a statement is true.

I'm running into the undeclared variable thing using old code with latest AI, so if you are using any includes, maybe that's where the problem is?

Terry

Let me rephrase:

Can you declare a variable during an IF statement? example:

If FileExists("c:\example1.txt") Then

$var = "red"

EndIf

If FileExists("c:\example2.txt") Then

$var = "blue"

EndIf

If FileExists("c:\example3.txt") Then

$var = "green"

EndIf

MsgBox(0,"","The colour is now "&$var); only 1 of the above files will ever exist

Someone said ABSOLUTELY YES. So what happens when every condition fails? The state of $var is...

I thought that if an If statement which only includes Then would skip the Then if it renders False?

Example:

If FileExists("c:\Example1.txt") Then; This file does not exist so statement = False
$var = "red"; This line is never read because the above statement  = False
EndIf

If FileExists("c:\Example2.txt") Then; This file does exists so statement = True
$var = "blue"; This line is read because the above statement = True
EndIf

MsgBox(0,"","The Colour is now "&$var); The answer would be 'blue' because $var was declared in the second IF statement as it rendered True

Sorry guys, I am just trying to understand how AutoIt works.