C++ Question

Sardith

I'm having a lot of problems with ReadProcessMemory, if someone could lend a hand that would be great. I'm not sure what I should declare 'Value' as. Right now I have it declared as int. The address I'm trying to read is 4 bytes. I also don't know if I have the ReadPRocessMemory function variables set properly for what I'm doing.

What is right.

I'm getting the Process handle and process ID successfully. OpenProcess is also not returning a error code. So I've tried to narrow it down to what I'm declaring 'Value' to, or the ReadProcessMemory variables.

The address that I'm trying to find a value from: 0x01005194

The value it should return: 40

I'm not sure if it's Vista's DEP or what I'm over looking here.

Edited by Sardith

[font="Verdana"]Valik:Get it straight - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.[/font]

I'm returning Error code: 299. Vista doesn't like PROCESS_ALL_ACCESS. What would you recommend Valik, or anyone else.

Thank you very much for your help so far Valik.

Jeff

PROCESS_ALL_ACCESS

#define _WIN32_WINNT _WIN32_WINNT_WINXP

I'm just at a lost as to what to do with Vista. Is DEP causing this or?

Is it possible to readmemory of a protected process like minesweeper with vista?

Edited by Sardith

[font="Verdana"]Valik:Get it straight - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.[/font]

That's because PROCESS_ALL_ACCESS is for lazy people who don't want to bother figuring out the correct access rights. I can not stress this enough, only request as much access rights as you need. Fix that first, then go from there.

Well, not to come off as more of a idiot...

How do I determine what access rights are required? I've taken a look at open process/access rights via MSDN.

Any pointers for determining the minimum access rights required?

Thank you very much,

Jeff

I'll take a re-read.

Thanks for all your time thus far Valik.

Sorry for my stupid questions.

Stupid me:

The handle must have PROCESS_VM_READ access to the process.

Edit2:

Still receiving a Error code: 299

Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

int Value;

LPVOID Address = (LPVOID) 0x01005194;

ReadProcessMemory(Process, &Address, (LPVOID)&Value, 4, NULL);

Does it have to do with how I have my parameters set for Readprocess memory? I've yet to master understanding MSDN.

Edit3: Valik is this even possible with Vista within reason?

Edited by Sardith

Is it possible to get around vista's Vista Address Space Load Randomization? Is this even causing the problem?

• Administrators

Something has to be explictly compiled with the address randomizer stuff (it doesn't automatically happen just because it's run on Vista). Some of the built in programs may have it turned on I guess...

Thanks Jon.

I fixed the issue(s) a while ago.