File Compare

Hi all, I am in need of some assistance.

I am working on a script and part of my script requires the ability to:

1). run an installation

2).when a License Agreement Dialog becomes available

3).extract the License Agreement and compare it to one that I have on my local system to make sure that the License Agreement is up-to-date - meaning that it matches the Agreement that I have on my local system.

I can obtain the Agreement while running the install, however I don't know how or if it is possible to compare 2 files to verify that they match. I can noyt use String compare and I can not compare them by line simply because I am scared that although the text might be the same the format might be different when I extract the Agreement from the License Agreement Dialog. Also because I am taking the Agreement from a window I can not use a binary compare.

Is there anyway to compare 2 complete files? Any Ideas?

Couldn't you read both files to $read1 and $read2 and then just do

if $read1=$read2 then 
consolewrite("they match")
else
consolewrite("they don't match")
endif

[quote name='PsaltyDS' post='635433' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:04 AM']Larry is a mass murderer?! It's always the quiet, clean cut, bald guys... [/quote]

Func _CompFiles($File1, $File2)
   If FileRead($File1) = FileRead($File2) Then Return 1
   Return 0
EndFunc

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

If FileRead($File1) = FileRead($File2) Then Return 1
   Return 0
EndFunc
Would that not be:

If FileRead($File1) == FileRead($File2) Then Return 1
   Return 0
EndFunc

== instead of =

Would make it case sensitive. :)

Would that not be:

If FileRead($File1) == FileRead($File2) Then Return 1
   Return 0
EndFunc

== instead of =

Would make it case sensitive. :)

Depends if he wants it case sensitive or not i would guess not if its just a license compare you just need to compare the words...

[quote name='PsaltyDS' post='635433' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:04 AM']Larry is a mass murderer?! It's always the quiet, clean cut, bald guys... [/quote]

• Moderators

I think stringcompare is the better/faster method here for more detail style. The -1/0/1 is usually all I need to know to carry out whatever functions I want.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.