[RESOLVED] DriveGetDrive

Searched the forums and came up with a script that does almost what I need. I modified the script so that I get info re the fixed drives. The only thing I'm not getting is the drive names or labels. i.e., my current drive letter "D" is the drive I labelled "DATA" several years back. The drive letter may change after each OS wipe, but its name and contents remain the same. I'd just like to know what drive letter is assigned. The output below just gives me the drive letters.

$var = DriveGetDrive( "fixed" )
If NOT @error Then
$string = ""
For $i = 1 to $var[0]
$Total = StringFormat("%.2f",(DriveSpaceTotal($var[$i]))/1024); Total size in GB
    $Free = StringFormat("%.2f",(DriveSpaceFree($var[$i]))/1024); Free space in GB
    $Used = $Total - $Free; Calculate difference which is used space in GB

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Display in msgbox
$string &= "Drive " & $i & " = " & $var[$i]  & "\" & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox (0, "Drive details     [Info also sent to the clipboard.]","There are " & $____ & " fixed drives and partitions." & @CRLF & "------------------------------" & @CRLF & @CRLF & $string)
ClipPut("There are " & $____ & " fixed drives and partitions." & @CRLF & @CRLF & $string)
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EndIf

The exact text output I get from the above is this (I didn't know how to get total # of drives/partitions displayed, so I just put "$____" in the code above.):

There are  fixed drives and partitions.

Drive 1 = c:\
Drive 2 = d:\
Drive 3 = e:\
Drive 4 = f:\
Drive 5 = k:\
Drive 6 = l:\
Drive 7 = n:\

Instead, it would be nice to get this output to the msgbox and clipboard (I've added the drive letter labels manually here):

There are (??) fixed drives and partitions.

Drive 2 = d:\  "DATA"
Drive 3 = e:\  "BACKUPS"
Drive 4 = f:\  "VIDEO+AUDIO"
Drive 5 = k:\  "PROGRAMS"
Drive 6 = l:\  "PRESARIO_RP"
Drive 7 = n:\  "80GUSBDRIVE"

Is there a way to display the label in the output?

Thanks!! :)

Edited by Diana (Cda)

$Dlist = DriveGetDrive("All")
$Out = "There are " & Ubound($Dlist)-1 & " drives" & @CRLF
For $I = 1 To Ubound($Dlist) -1
   $Out &= "Drive " & $I & " = " & $Dlist[$I] & "\ " & DriveGetLabel($Dlist[$I]) & @CRLF
Next
$Out = StringStripWS($Out, 2)
ClipPut($Out)
MsgBox(0, "Drive labels", $Out)

Edit: forgot to add the "\" after the drive.

Edit 2: Fixed the StringStripWS line

Edit 3: Added your requested "Drive = " to the beginning of the lines.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Hi, GEOSoft, Good Morning! <g> Thanks for your help once again.

I hate to say it but the script above gives nothing back. The msgbox is blank and clipboard is empty of anything. Very weird.

I thought it was the "All" that did it but even when I changed to "Fixed", same results. I didn't know the "DriveGetLabel" command so that was good to learn. Thanks. When I plugged it into another example script instead of DriveGetDrive, also got zippo but probably for very different reasons since original script with DriveGetDrive works great. So obviously syntax surrounding DriveGetLabel must be different from DriveGetDrive for it to work. Something else to start messing about with to understand <lol>.

However, honestly, the original script I pieced together from various sources just about does the job. It's just missing the drive label information and a total. This:

If NOT @error Then
$string = ""
For $i = 1 to $var[0]
$Total = StringFormat("%.2f",(DriveSpaceTotal($var[$i]))/1024); Total size in GB

;Display in msgbox
Next
MsgBox (0, "Drive details     [Info also sent to the clipboard.]","There are " & $____ & " fixed drives and partitions." & @CRLF & "------------------------------" & @CRLF & @CRLF & $string)
ClipPut("There are " & $____ & " fixed drives and partitions." & @CRLF & @CRLF & $string)

EndIfoÝ÷ Øh¯zɶ¬jëh×6There are  fixed drives and partitions.

Drive 7 = n:\oÝ÷ Ù©Ý";¬¶wv+m¢¯zg­æv+b¢v¥¶Z{¦mêè}Úâ½ë"Øb±Æ¬{¶§vØ^v¸¯zVz[,¢ØZ´¶Øb±«­¢+ÙQ¡ÉÉÜ¥áÉ¥Ù̹ÁÉѥѥ½¹Ì¸()É¥ÙÄôèÀäÈì)É¥ÙÈôèÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐíQÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙÌôèÀäÈìÅÕ½Ðí 
-UALÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙÐôèÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐíY%

The resulting output is perfect for my needs. I just had to wipe my OS yet again. It would have been so helpful to have the above information on hand just like that, drive letters and labels. I honestly hope and believe the syntax doesn't need to be overhauled (I hope that's the case??). I'm hoping that just a minor modification is needed to add the (1) total number of drives and, (2) to add the drive labels, as I've done manually in the example just above. As always, I really don't know why the various modifications I've tried so far don't work but it's probably like always, relating to things I don't know yet <g>. As a dear friend of mine says, it's always the "I don't know what I don't know until I know it" things that are tough to figure out! <g> Is there a way to just modify the above so that the input has the additional info, by any chance? <fingers crossed>

Hi, GEOSoft, Good Morning! <g> Thanks for your help once again.

I hate to say it but the script above gives nothing back. The msgbox is blank and clipboard is empty of anything. Very weird.

I thought it was the "All" that did it but even when I changed to "Fixed", same results. I didn't know the "DriveGetLabel" command so that was good to learn. Thanks. When I plugged it into another example script instead of DriveGetDrive, also got zippo but probably for very different reasons since original script with DriveGetDrive works great. So obviously syntax surrounding DriveGetLabel must be different from DriveGetDrive for it to work. Something else to start messing about with to understand <lol>.

However, honestly, the original script I pieced together from various sources just about does the job. It's just missing the drive label information and a total. This:

If NOT @error Then
$string = ""
For $i = 1 to $var[0]

;Display in msgbox
Next

EndIfoÝ÷ Øh¯zɶ¬jëh×6There are  fixed drives and partitions.

Drive 7 = n:\oÝ÷ Ù©Ý";¬¶wv+m¢¯zg­æv+b¢v¥¶Z{¦mêè}Úâ½ë"Øb±Æ¬{¶§vØ^v¸¯zVz[,¢ØZ´¶Øb±«­¢+ÙQ¡ÉÉÜ¥áÉ¥Ù̹ÁÉѥѥ½¹Ì¸()É¥ÙÄôèÀäÈì)É¥ÙÈôèÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐíQÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙÌôèÀäÈìÅÕ½Ðí 
-UALÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙÐôèÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐíY%<­U%<ÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙÔô¬èÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐíAI=I5LÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙØô°èÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐíAIMI%=}I@ÅÕ½Ðì)É¥ÙÜô¸èÀäÈìÅÕ½ÐìàÁUM I%YÅÕ½Ðì

The resulting output is perfect for my needs. I just had to wipe my OS yet again. It would have been so helpful to have the above information on hand just like that, drive letters and labels. I honestly hope and believe the syntax doesn't need to be overhauled (I hope that's the case??). I'm hoping that just a minor modification is needed to add the (1) total number of drives and, (2) to add the drive labels, as I've done manually in the example just above. As always, I really don't know why the various modifications I've tried so far don't work but it's probably like always, relating to things I don't know yet <g>. As a dear friend of mine says, it's always the "I don't know what I don't know until I know it" things that are tough to figure out! <g> Is there a way to just modify the above so that the input has the additional info, by any chance? <fingers crossed>

That's because I made a serious error in the code. I'll edit it right now.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

That's because I made a serious error in the code. I'll edit it right now.

Hi! 2 hdd wipes and reinstalls later and I'm back <phew>.

I didn't know about the "Computer Management" option at all! Here I've been, all these time, having drive letters issues after each wipe/reinstall when they could be changed so easily! That's a:

"I don't know what I don't know until I know it." (My friend Judy's line!)

Still, not a wasted effort. Though at home I can now control the drive letters, this will in all likelihood not be an option on work computers so still will need to fix this script. Drive letters are an issue with USB flash drives as these change from station to station, as many here are probably aware.

So just wanted to say hi and that I'm back. Hopefully computer will be stable for a while. I'm dealing with new av software, so hopefully it won't let me down like AVG8 did and I can keep on working on AI solutions! <g> Cheers. muttley

Well, sometimes things happen for a reason. I started another thread to deal with a side issue relating to this script and no working solution appeared after many days. This morning decided that I would quit that idea and would not change the output file's name. But that was not ideal. Earlier this morning, however, I edited and fixed another issue using an AI solution and learned about creating files while at the same time appending text. I'd never done that before. And that led to today's solution. Turns out, this is better than my earlier idea and date/time stamping the file name. Instead, I'm appending that _within_ the text in the file itself. Turns out to be a better solution.

Here is the ALL drives version of the final script:

;
; AutoIt
;
#include <date.au3>
AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)     ; this allows partial window titles to be valid!
#NoTrayIcon     ; AutoIt's icon doesn't show in systray
TraySetIcon(@ScriptDir & "\02- Drive letter info to box and to notepad.ico")

$Dlist = DriveGetDrive("ALL")
$Out = "There are " & Ubound($Dlist)-1 & " drives [ALL]:" @CRLF & "---------------------------" & @CRLF & "" &
For $I = 1 To Ubound($Dlist) -1
   $Out &= DriveGetLabel($Dlist[$I]) & " = " & $Dlist[$I] & @CRLF
Next
$Out = StringStripWS($Out, 2)

;----- File, with date and time stamp, gets written with info: -----------
    $thisday = StringMid("Sn,Mn,Tu,Wd,Th,Fr,Sa", StringInStr("SunMonTueWedThuFriSat", _DateDayOfWeek(@WDAY,1) ), 2)
    $DirectoryandFilename = @ScriptDir & "\02- Drives on this Computer (ALL).txt"     ; - " & @YEAR & '.'  & @MON & '.'  & @MDAY & '.' & $thisday & ", " & @Hour & "h" & @Min & ".txt"
    FileWrite ($DirectoryandFilename, @CRLF & @CRLF & "---------------------------------------------------" & @CRLF & @YEAR & '.'  & @MON & '.'  & @MDAY & '.' & $thisday & ", " & @Hour & "h" & @Min & @CRLF & @CRLF & $Out)
    Send("{F5}")
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------

;MsgBox features: Title=Yes, Text=Yes, Buttons=OK and Cancel, Icon=Info
If Not IsDeclared("iMsgBoxAnswer") Then Local $iMsgBoxAnswer
$iMsgBoxAnswer = MsgBox(65, "Drive labels ...     [ALL]", $Out & @CRLF & @CRLF & "------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" & @CRLF & "1.  Press ''OK'' below to see the info in a text editor window.                    " & @CRLF & "2.  Or press ''Cancel'' to exit immediately.")
Select
    Case $iMsgBoxAnswer = 1 ;OK
        ClipPut($Out)

ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & "\02- Drives on this Computer (ALL).txt", "", "", "open", @SW_MAXIMIZE)

WinWait("02- Drives on this Computer (ALL).txt")
        WinActivate("02- Drives on this Computer (ALL).txt")
        SplashTextOn("''Drive Letters'' Text File.                         [This box times out in a moment.]", _
            "Note:  This text file has been saved to the" & @CRLF & "folder you are in for future reference.","450","100","300","150",48,"Courier New","10","400")     ; width, height, x pos, y pos
        Sleep(4500)
        SplashOff()

Case $iMsgBoxAnswer = 2 ;Cancel
        Exit     ; finished
EndSelect
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------oÝ÷ Ù8^¢w¢±H@Ý®+Þ²+/z¼¬h¥j¸î²Û.nËb¶ëb
®¢Ð.«¨µú+ªê-Ä«¨µ«­¢+Øì(ìÕѽ%Ð(ì(¥¹±Õ±ÐíѹÔÌÐì)Õѽ%ÑMÑ=ÁÑ¥½¸ ÅÕ½Ðí]¥¹Q¥Ñ±5Ñ¡5½ÅÕ½Ðì°È¤ìÑ¡¥Ì±±½ÝÌÁÉÑ¥°Ý¥¹½ÜѥѱÌѼٱ¥ÌÌì(9½QÉå%½¸ìÕѽ%ÐÌäíÌ¥½¸½Í¸ÌäíÐÍ¡½Ü¥¸ÍåÍÑÉä)QÉåMÑ%½¸¡MÉ¥ÁѥȵÀìÅÕ½ÐìäÈìÐàìÈ´É¥Ù±ÑÑÈ¥¹¼Ñ¼½à¹Ñ¼¹½ÑÁ¹¥¼ÅÕ½Ðì¤((((ÀÌØí±¥ÍÐôÉ¥ÙÑÉ¥Ù ÅÕ½Ðí%aÅÕ½Ðì¤(ÀÌØí=ÕÐôÅÕ½ÐíQ¡ÉÉÅÕ½ÐìµÀìU½Õ¹ ÀÌØí±¥ÍФ´ÄµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÉ¥ÙÌm%atèÅÕ½Ðì
I1µÀìÅÕ½Ðì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì
I1µÀìÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½ÐìµÀì)½ÈÀÌØí$ôÄQ¼U½Õ¹ ÀÌØí±¥ÍФ´Ä(ÀÌØí=ÕеÀìôÉ¥ÙÑ1° ÀÌØí±¥ÍÑlÀÌØí%t¤µÀìÅÕ½ÐìôÅÕ½ÐìµÀìÀÌØí±¥ÍÑlÀÌØí%tµÀì
I1)9áÐ(ÀÌØí=ÕÐôMÑÉ¥¹MÑÉ¥Á]L ÀÌØí=ÕаȤ((((ì´´´´´¥±°Ý¥Ñ ѹѥµÍѵÀ°ÑÌÝÉ¥ÑÑ¸Ý¥Ñ ¥¹¼è´´´´´´´´´´´($ÀÌØíÑ¡¥ÍäôMÑÉ¥¹5¥ ÅÕ½ÐíM¸±5¸±QÔ±]±Q ±È±MÅÕ½Ðì°MÑÉ¥¹%¹MÑÈ ÅÕ½ÐíMÕ¹5½¹QÕ]Q¡ÕÉ¥MÐÅÕ½Ðì°}Ñå=]¬¡]d°Ä¤¤°È¤($ÀÌØí¥ÉѽÉå¹¥±¹µôMÉ¥ÁѥȵÀìÅÕ½ÐìäÈìÐàìÈ´É¥Ù̽¸Ñ¡¥Ì
½µÁÕÑÈ¡%a¤¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðìì´ÅÕ½ÐìµÀìeHµÀìÌäì¸ÌäìµÀì5=8µÀìÌäì¸ÌäìµÀì5dµÀìÌäì¸ÌäìµÀìÀÌØíÑ¡¥ÍäµÀìÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì!½ÕȵÀìÅÕ½Ðí ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì5¥¸µÀìÅÕ½Ðì¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì(%¥±]É¥Ñ ÀÌØí¥ÉѽÉå¹¥±¹µ°
I1µÀì
I1µÀìÅÕ½Ðì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì
I1µÀìeHµÀìÌäì¸ÌäìµÀì5=8µÀìÌäì¸ÌäìµÀì5dµÀìÌäì¸ÌäìµÀìÀÌØíÑ¡¥ÍäµÀìÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì!½ÕȵÀìÅÕ½Ðí ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì5¥¸µÀì
I1µÀì
I1µÀìÀÌØí=ÕФ(%M¹ ÅÕ½ÐííÕôÅÕ½Ðì¤(ì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´(((((ì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´(í5Í ½àÑÕÉÌèQ¥Ñ±õeÌ°QáÐõeÌ°    ÕÑѽ¹Ìõ=,¹
¹°°%½¸õ%¹¼)%9½Ð%걃 ÅÕ½Ðí¥5Í    ½á¹ÍÝÈÅÕ½Ðì¤Q¡¸1½°ÀÌØí¥5Í ½á¹ÍÝÈ(ÀÌØí¥5Í  ½á¹ÍÝÈô5Í   ½à ØÔ°ÅÕ½ÐíÉ¥Ù±±Ì¸¸¸m%atÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí=ÕеÀì
I1µÀì
I1µÀìÅÕ½Ðì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì
I1µÀìÅÕ½ÐìĸAÉÍÌÌäìÌäí=,ÌäìÌäì±½ÜѼÍÑ¡¥¹¼¥¸ÑáХѽÈÝ¥¹½Ü¸ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì
I1µÀìÅÕ½Ðìȸ=ÈÁÉÍÌÌäìÌäí
¹°ÌäìÌäìѼá¥Ð¥µµ¥Ñ±ä¸ÅÕ½Ðì¤)M±Ð(%
ÍÀÌØí¥5Í ½á¹ÍÝÈôÄí=,($%
±¥ÁAÕÐ ÀÌØí=ÕФ(($%M¡±±áÕÑ¡MÉ¥ÁѥȵÀìÅÕ½ÐìäÈìÐàìÈ´É¥Ù̽¸Ñ¡¥Ì
½µÁÕÑÈ¡%a¤¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½Ðí½Á¸ÅÕ½Ðì°M]}5a%5%i¤(($%]¥¹]¥Ð ÅÕ½ÐìÀÈ´É¥Ù̽¸Ñ¡¥Ì
½µÁÕÑÈ¡%a¤¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì¤($%]¥¹Ñ¥ÙÑ ÅÕ½ÐìÀÈ´É¥Ù̽¸Ñ¡¥Ì
½µÁÕÑÈ¡%a¤¹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì¤($%MÁ±Í¡QáÑ=¸ ÅÕ½ÐìÌäìÌäíÉ¥Ù1ÑÑÉÌÌäìÌäìQáÐ¥±¸mQ¡¥Ì½àÑ¥µÌ½ÕÐ¥¸µ½µ¹Ð¹tÅÕ½Ðì°|($$$ÅÕ½Ðí9½ÑèQ¡¥ÌÑáÐ¥±¡Ì¸ÍÙѼѡÅÕ½ÐìµÀì
I1µÀìÅÕ½Ðí½±Èå½ÔÉ¥¸½ÈÕÑÕÉÉɹ¸ÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÐÔÀÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÄÀÀÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÌÀÀÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÄÔÀÅÕ½Ðì°Ðà°ÅÕ½Ðí
½ÕÉ¥È9ÜÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÄÀÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìÐÀÀÅÕ½Ðì¤ìÝ¥Ñ °¡¥¡Ð°àÁ½Ì°äÁ½Ì($%M±À ÐÔÀÀ¤($%MÁ±Í¡= ¤(((%
ÍÀÌØí¥5Í ½á¹ÍÝÈôÈí
¹°($%á¥Ð쥹¥Í¡)¹M±Ð(ì´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´

Both are now in my "drivers" folder where I go after wiping/reinstalling the hdd.

Although I now know how to change what drive letters are associated to which partition, this is still vital during the reinstall process since one needs to know what the drives have changed to so that one can then go back to re-assign to the letters from before wipe.

Also, doesn't matter that drive letter issues may now be almost virtually obsolete, work computers will in all likelihood still give me the same problem as I've had up until now and before knowing about the "computer management" option. So all the work done up till now in many areas relating to this is not lost.

Thanks for everyone's help! I learned a ton of stuff once more, too. muttley