InetFileUpdate

PartyPooper

Got sick of my old internet file updater (INetUpdater UDF) and downloader (INetDownloader UDF) being so restrictive in it's functionality so I've created a whole new module and split up the functions so they can be used separately. I won't be maintaining the old one anymore because this module is superior. I've used ample commenting (probably too much) throughout the module to make it easy to follow and understand. I've tested it on several files, however, it may still contain bugs so let me know if you find any or have an idea for a better method of doing something. Unlike the old updater, this one has the ability to use either the locally produced progressbar window to show the status of a download or one of your own making in your own script (it passes back the size of the file).

This module has the ability to compare file versions, compare file sizes, download files and automatically install updates using the following functions:

_InetFile_VersionCheck

_InetFile_SizeCheck

_InetFile_Download

_InetFile_Install

NOTE: If you intend using the default Remote Filename, you must compile your script before trying to check/download. The reason for doing this is because the @ScriptName macro changes filenames from "myscript.au3" to "myscript.exe" when called after compilation. If you don't compile it, you will end up trying to check the local "myscript.au3" against the remote "myscript.exe" and that won't work.

Example of a simple usage:

Automatically download and silently install an update of currently running script:

Func Update()
    _InetFile_VersionCheck("www.mysite.com"); check for an update
    If Not @error Then; @error has not been set, therefore, there is an update available, download it
        _InetFile_Download("www.mysite.com"); download the update
        If Not @error Then; @error has not been set, therefore, the download was successful, install it
            _InetFile_Install(); automatically install the update
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

Examples of calls:

_InetFile_VersionCheck("www.mysite.com") - checks currently running script for updates using defaults

_InetFile_VersionCheck("www.mysite.com", "files", "myprogram.exe", "C:\Program Files\MyProg") - checks for an update of the file 'myprogram.exe'

_InetFile_SizeCheck("www.mysite.com") - checks currently running script for file size change using defaults

_InetFile_SizeCheck("www.mysite.com", "files", "myprogram.exe", "C:\Program Files\MyProg") - checks for a file size change of 'myprogram.exe'

_InetFile_Download("www.mysite.com") - downloads currently running script displaying progress bar

_InetFile_Download("www.mysite.com", "", "", "", 1) - downloads currently running script silently (no progress bar)

_InetFile_Download("www.mysite.com", "files", "myprogram.exe", "C:\Program Files\MyProg") - downloads myprogram.exe displaying progress bar

_InetFile_Download("www.mysite.com", "files", "myprogram.exe", "C:\Program Files\MyProg", 1) - downloads myprogram.exe silently (no progress bar)

_InetFile_Install() - automatically install the currently running script.

_InetFile_Install("", "" , "", 0) - drops a batchfile on to the desktop for a user to manually install the currently running script.

_InetFile_Install("myprogram.exe", "C:\Program Files\MyProg") - creates an updating batchfile for "myprogram.exe"

Edit1: Added the ability to suppress error messages and included them in the returned value (10 downloads)

Edit2: Modified _InetFile_SizeCheck to allow checking and downloading of files regardless whether or not they exist locally (47 downloads)

Edit3: Removed some code that prevented files being downloaded to @scriptdir. Hopefully, it won't break anything else (58 downloads)

Edit4: Added $CmdLineRaw variable to _InetFile_Install batchfile routine so calling script command line options can be passed on when restarting after update (170 downloads)

Edit5: Added error routine to _InetFile_Download to check for incomplete downloads (10 downloads)

Edited by PartyPooper

I've updated the module and given it the optional ability to suppress error messages. They (the error messages) are now included as standard in the returned values. This will be useful for those that want to create their own error messages or those that want to embed an error message into a GUI rather than have a popup message box.

Extracting the error message from the returned value is simple. It's been formatted as a direct substitution for the MsgBox function, but, you can use the elements however you wish. Here is a fictional example displaying the returned error message as a MsgBox:

$s_RtnMsg = _InetFile_VersionCheck("www.mywebsite.com, "", "myprogram.exe", "", "", 1)
If @error Then
        Local $a_Msg = StringSplit($s_RtnMsg, "|")
        MsgBox($a_Msg[1], $a_Msg[2], $a_Msg[3] & @CRLF & @CRLF & $a_Msg[4])
EndIf

The StringSplit format is:

$a_Msg[0] = number of elements in StringSplit

$a_Msg[1] = MsgBox flag

$a_Msg[2] = MsgBox title

$a_Msg[3] = textual elements of MsgBox (header)

$a_Msg[4] = textual elements of MsgBox (cause)

Alternatively, you can ignore the returned error messages altogether:

_InetFile_VersionCheck("www.mywebsite.com, "", "myprogram.exe")
If @error Then
    ; do some error checking stuff of your own
EndIf

P.S. also squashed a small bug in the _InetFile_SizeCheck function

Edited by PartyPooper

Also, I checked out your vcf.ini and the format is correct only it is trying to find "Auto-Awesom.exe" which doesn't exist in that directory.

Lol Oh yea that would help wouldn't it

Edit: This is whats in my script

_InetFile_VersionCheck("http://files.aobot.org", "T_LOKZz", "", "", "vcf.ini")

Edited by tlokz

Lol Oh yea that would help wouldn't it

Edit: This is whats in my script

That looks fine if this was part of the "Auto-Awesom.exe" program (I'm assuming by your vcf.ini that's the compiled script). I also assume that you ran the compiled script and not just the build from SciTE before trying to get it to check (the default @ScriptName macro changes from Auto-Awesom.au3 to Auto-Awesom.exe after compilation). I will put a note about this up in the first post in case it catches some people out.

It should work once you put the remote file up.

That looks fine if this was part of the "Auto-Awesom.exe" program (I'm assuming by your vcf.ini that's the compiled script). I also assume that you ran the compiled script and not just the build from SciTE before trying to get it to check (the default @ScriptName macro changes from Auto-Awesom.au3 to Auto-Awesom.exe after compilation). I will put a note about this up in the first post in case it catches some people out.

It should work once you put the remote file up.

Yea I ran the compiled since I figured it gets the version number from the file version

edit: still doesn't work :) I put 4.6.0.2 up on the host with the ini to match and then change file version to 4.5.8.1 and compiled and ran and nothing :P

Edited by tlokz

Ok, compile the following code as Auto-Awesom.exe and run it to see what's being returned:

#include <InetFileUpdate.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
$s_RtnMsg = _InetFile_VersionCheck("http://files.aobot.org", "T_LOKZz", "", "", "vcf.ini")
_ArrayDisplay($s_RtnMsg)

When I do it, it's reporting that the remote file version is 4.6.0.2 ($s_RtnMsg[1]) which is correct according to the vcf.ini file.

Ok, compile the following code as Auto-Awesom.exe and run it to see what's being returned:

#include <InetFileUpdate.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
$s_RtnMsg = _InetFile_VersionCheck("http://files.aobot.org", "T_LOKZz", "", "", "vcf.ini")
_ArrayDisplay($s_RtnMsg)

When I do it, it's reporting that the remote file version is 4.6.0.2 ($s_RtnMsg[1]) which is correct according to the vcf.ini file.

Ok that worked, now how do u get it to check if its newer. Sorry for being such a noob

Damn, and I put so much time into providing what I thought was enough info - have a read of the module - it tells you...

_InetFile_VersionCheck:

; Return values .: Success - sets @error 0 and returns an array where 0 = number of elements, 1 = remote file version, 2 = local file version

; Failure - either returns an appropriately formatted error message or a version array as above and sets @error:

; |@error = 1 (function parameter error)

; |@error = 2 (version / VCF error)

; |@error = 3 (file error)

; |@error = 4 (internet error)

; |@error = 5 (manual download required)

; |@error = 6 (no update available)

; |@error = 7 (you have a later version)

If there hasn't been an error, the function ends with:

If $i_Result = 0 Then; no update available
        Return SetError(6, 0, $a_RtnVal); return to calling script with versions
    ElseIf $i_Result = 1 Then; update available
        Return SetError(0, 0, $a_RtnVal); return to calling script with versions
    ElseIf $i_Result = -1 Then; you have a later version
        Return SetError(7, 0, $a_RtnVal); return to calling script with versions
    EndIf

Translated:

if @error=6 then there is no update available

if @error=0 then there is an update available

if @error=7 then you have a later version than the one being offered on the website

If you have a look at the code I posted up in the first post, it shows you how to check for an update, download the update and automatically install it. It's all done by testing the @error macro. Here is a commented version (I'll edit the first post and include the comments so others can get an idea). If at any stage the @error gets set, the update won't proceed.

Func Update()
    If Not @error Then; @error has not been set, therefore, there is an update available, download it
        If Not @error Then; @error has not been set, therefore, the download was successful, install it
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

Damn, and I put so much time into providing what I thought was enough info - have a read of the module - it tells you...

_InetFile_VersionCheck:

; Return values .: Success - sets @error 0 and returns an array where 0 = number of elements, 1 = remote file version, 2 = local file version

; Failure - either returns an appropriately formatted error message or a version array as above and sets @error:

; |@error = 1 (function parameter error)

; |@error = 2 (version / VCF error)

; |@error = 3 (file error)

; |@error = 4 (internet error)

; |@error = 5 (manual download required)

; |@error = 6 (no update available)

; |@error = 7 (you have a later version)

If there hasn't been an error, the function ends with:

If $i_Result = 0 Then; no update available
        Return SetError(6, 0, $a_RtnVal); return to calling script with versions
    ElseIf $i_Result = 1 Then; update available
        Return SetError(0, 0, $a_RtnVal); return to calling script with versions
    ElseIf $i_Result = -1 Then; you have a later version
        Return SetError(7, 0, $a_RtnVal); return to calling script with versions
    EndIf

Translated:

if @error=6 then there is no update available

if @error=0 then there is an update available

if @error=7 then you have a later version than the one being offered on the website

If you have a look at the code I posted up in the first post, it shows you how to check for an update, download the update and automatically install it. It's all done by testing the @error macro. Here is a commented version (I'll edit the first post and include the comments so others can get an idea). If at any stage the @error gets set, the update won't proceed.

Func Update()
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

Thanks on the great help.. I got it to work :) This is very nice and beats my old way of doing

edit: also lol it keeps downloading even if I have latest version.

_InetFile_Download("http://files.aobot.org", "T_LOKZz", "Auto-Awesom.exe", @TempDir)
    EndIf
EndIf
Edited by tlokz

Thanks on the great help.. I got it to work :) This is very nice and beats my old way of doing

edit: also lol it keeps downloading even if I have latest version.

_InetFile_Download("http://files.aobot.org", "T_LOKZz", "Auto-Awesom.exe", @TempDir)
    EndIf
EndIf

That's because the actual file version of "Auto-Awesom.exe" you have on your remote site is not the same as the one in the vcf.ini and this creates an infinite loop as the program tries to get the two version numbers equal. :-) Make sure that the file you have on the remote site is the same one as indicated in the vcf.ini.

That's because the actual file version of "Auto-Awesom.exe" you have on your remote site is not the same as the one in the vcf.ini and this creates an infinite loop as the program tries to get the two version numbers equal. :-) Make sure that the file you have on the remote site is the same one as indicated in the vcf.ini.

Thank you lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

G'day

Just a quick question.

If "_InetFile_VersionCheck("www.mysite.com")" checks the version of the currently running (Compiled) script against the VCF file on the server.

How do I set the version when compiling script?

I've checked the help file but can't find anything or if I open the search TOOO much.

and when I check the compiled scripts properties the version is autoit's verison so "help"...

BTW the script looks great and will come in handy if I can get it to work the way I want. :-)

Thanks for the help.

John Morrison

Edited by storme