Ordering lines in a file

Is it possible to order the lines read from a file?

for instance:

Line 1 = ID44563 - james

Line 2 = ID12345 - joe

Line 3 = ID34392 - jeff

should change to:

Line 1 = ID12345 - joe

Line 2 = ID34392 - jeff

Line 3 = ID44563 - james

[size="1"]Please stop confusing "how to" with "how do"[/size]

Is it possible to order the lines read from a file?

for instance:

Line 1 = ID44563 - james

Line 2 = ID12345 - joe

Line 3 = ID34392 - jeff

should change to:

Line 1 = ID12345 - joe

Line 2 = ID34392 - jeff

Line 3 = ID44563 - james

_FileReadToArray()

_ArraySort()

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Unfortunately all that does is create a ton of blank array entries. I think I have another solution though If I figure it out I'll post it.

Unfortunately all that does is create a ton of blank array entries. I think I have another solution though If I figure it out I'll post it.

You give up way to easily:
#include <Array.au3>

Global $avFile, $sFile = "C:\Temp\MyFile.txt"

; Read File
_FileReadToArray($sFile, $avFile)

; Remove blank lines
For $n = $avFile[0] To 1 Step -1
    If StringStripWS($avFile[$n], 8) = "" Then _ArrayDelete($avFile, $n)
Next
$avFile[0] = UBound($avFile) - 1

; Sort
_ArraySort($avFile, 0, 1)

; Display
_ArrayDisplay($avFile, "$avFile")

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

There are no blank lines in the file. _FileReadToArray [0] returns the number of entries in the array. After you do array sort it changes the position of [0] and for some reason adds a ton of blank entries.

However I figured out an easier way was to just use the sort function on the listbox.

Edited by Deltaforce229

There are no blank lines in the file. _FileReadToArray [0] returns the number of entries in the array. After you do array sort it changes the position of [0] and for some reason adds a ton of blank entries.

However I figured out an easier way was to just use the sort function on the listbox.

I don't recall a listbox being mentioned before. There may be easier ways to do what you want, more power to 'ya.

But [0] is not moved by the code I posted because the third parameter of _ArraySort() is the index to start at, which is set to 1. Even if it doesn't help with your current application, you might try the code posted just to learn how it works (after adding "#include <File.au3>", which I missed in the copy/paste). _ArraySort() also does not add any blank 'entries'.

Sorry to get back to you so late on this but i have been dealing with a lot of crap lately and haven't had time to post.

The method you posted removes lines and replaces them with blank ones. I have a file that contains 4757 ids. After your method I'm left with only 3999 ids and 758 blank lines. The method does sort the lines but it deletes them too.

Edit: A thought just came to mind. Would characters such as | or , or . ect. effect the sort?

Edited by Deltaforce229

Sorry to get back to you so late on this but i have been dealing with a lot of crap lately and haven't had time to post.

The method you posted removes lines and replaces them with blank ones. I have a file that contains 4757 ids. After your method I'm left with only 3999 ids and 758 blank lines. The method does sort the lines but it deletes them too.

Edit: A thought just came to mind. Would characters such as | or , or . ect. effect the sort?

If you already have code that works, we needn't carry on with this. But if you want to investigate this alternative, we need some sample data (Not 5K lines worth!) to illustrate what you are dealing with.

muttley