_Timer_SetTimer Help

($hWnd[, $iElapse = 250[, $sTimerFunc = ""[, $iTimerID = -1]]])

I was wondering if someone could help me with this func. I have a few questions and the help file doesnt quite cover them.

1) $hWnd Can anyone explain what this variable would be? I know it says Handle to the window to be associated with the timer. This window must be owned by the calling thread _Timer_SetTimer But if im using the timer_settimer to call a func at $iElapse time. Im confused as to what window it is asking for.

2) Can you pass varibles in to the function or do I just have to use a global variable? i.e. $sTimerFunc = $_myfunc($varable)

3) Can someone give me a simple working example of the _Timer_SetTimer function.

Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by Smiley357

1. A window you created. If you don't want any visible gui then simply GUICreate() without GUISetState()

2. Dont know.

3. Is there something wrong with the one in the helpfile??

As of right now my script runs in the back round sending keystrokes at some time interval. It will send the keystroke to any window that is on top. If I use the _time_setTime () and use $hWnd = word. Will this send the keystrokes to the word document even if its minimized? Or, am I just going way off track?

($hWnd[, $iElapse = 250[, $sTimerFunc = ""[, $iTimerID = -1]]])

I was wondering if someone could help me with this func. I have a few questions and the help file doesnt quite cover them.

1) $hWnd Can anyone explain what this variable would be? I know it says Handle to the window to be associated with the timer. This window must be owned by the calling thread _Timer_SetTimer But if im using the timer_settimer to call a func at $iElapse time. Im confused as to what window it is asking for.

2) Can you pass varibles in to the function or do I just have to use a global variable? i.e. $sTimerFunc = $_myfunc($varable)

3) Can someone give me a simple working example of the _Timer_SetTimer function.

Thanks for any and all help.

_Timer_SetTimer() creates a count-down timer and triggers a specified function when it expires. What are you trying to do? Are you sure you want this function and not TimerInit()/TimerDiff()?

1) The $hWnd is a window handle, as returned by GuiCreate().

2) Yes, you can and usually would pass a variable to this function for $hWnd, for example.

3) What's wrong with the example in the help file? If it's just too complicated, try this simplified one:

#include <Timers.au3>

Global $iCount = 0

Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 400, 300)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Two steps forward, one step back...", 20, 20, 360, 20)
Global $IdLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("00", 60, 60, 280, 320)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 72, 600)
GUISetState()

Global $IdTimer1 = _Timer_SetTimer($hGUI, 1000, "_Increment"); 1sec
Global $IdTimer2 = _Timer_SetTimer($hGUI, 2500, "_Decrement"); 2.5sec
Global $IdTimer3 = _Timer_SetTimer($hGUI, 30000, "_Quit"); 30sec

While 1
    Sleep(20)
WEnd

Func _Increment($hWnd, $Msg, $iIDTimer, $dwTime)
    $iCount += 1
    GUICtrlSetData($IdLabel, StringFormat("%03u", $iCount))
EndFunc

Func _Decrement($hWnd, $Msg, $iIDTimer, $dwTime)
    $iCount -= 1
    GUICtrlSetData($IdLabel, StringFormat("%03u", $iCount))
EndFunc

Func _Quit($hWnd, $Msg, $iIDTimer, $dwTime)
    Exit
EndFunc

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

As of right now my script runs in the back round sending keystrokes at some time interval. It will send the keystroke to any window that is on top.

That would be more easily accomplished with AdLibEnable().

If I use the _time_setTime () and use $hWnd = word.

It would be more like $hWnd = WinGetHandle("Word")

Will this send the keystrokes to the word document even if its minimized? Or, am I just going way off track?

Way off track.

Use AdLibEnable() for your timer, and ControlSend() to send keystrokes to a minimized widow in your called function.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

AdlibEnable()

This seems to work if I only had one timed function. I have 8 different functions that I have set to execute at different timed intervals.

This is just a little test script to try to understand _timer_setTimer and _controlSend. It will run but will seem to lock up or act as if its waiting for something and will not send any output to the word file. And the esc hotkey wont work to exit the program when after I hit F11 to start it. Im guessing it is looking/waiting for something that I have made a mistake on.

I feel like the biggest noob right about now. LOL

#include <Word.au3>
#Include <Timers.au3>

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")
HotKeySet("{F11}", "start")

while 1
    Sleep(300)
WEnd

Func start()
$oWordApp = _WordCreate ("")
$oDoc = _WordDocOpen ($oWordApp, @ScriptDir & "\Test.doc")

Global $hGUI = WinGetHandle("Word")

;Timer_SetTimer($hGUI, 1000, "_UpdateStatusBarClock"); create timer
_Timer_SetTimer($hGUI, 3000, "_time1")
_Timer_SetTimer($hGUI, 5000, "_time2")

EndFunc

Func _time1()
    ControlSend ( $hGUI, "", "edit1", "Im in time1 {enter}")
EndFunc

Func _time2()
    ControlSend ( $hGUI, "", "edit2", "Im in time2 {enter}")
EndFunc

;Terminate
Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

AdlibEnable()

This seems to work if I only had one timed function. I have 8 different functions that I have set to execute at different timed intervals.

You can only have one AdLibEnable() function, but there is no reason why it can't handle multiple timers:
Global $iTimer_1 = TimerInit(), $iTimer_2 = TimerInit(), $iTimer_3 = TimerInit()
Global $i_1 = 0, $i_2 = 0, $i_3 = 0

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Quit")
AdlibEnable("_TimerDispatch", 500)
TrayTip("Timers Test", "$i_1 = " & $i_1 & "  $i_2 = " & $i_2 & "  $i_3 = " & $i_3, 5)

While 1
    Sleep(20)
WEnd

Func _TimerDispatch()
; 1 sec
    If TimerDiff($iTimer_1) >= 1000 Then
        $iTimer_1 = TimerInit()
        $i_1 += 1
    EndIf

; 2 sec
    If TimerDiff($iTimer_2) >= 2000 Then
        $iTimer_2 = TimerInit()
        $i_2 += 1
    EndIf

; 3 sec
    If TimerDiff($iTimer_3) >= 3000 Then
        $iTimer_3 = TimerInit()
        $i_3 += 1
    EndIf

; Refresh display
    TrayTip("Timers Test", "$i_1 = " & $i_1 & "  $i_2 = " & $i_2 & "  $i_3 = " & $i_3, 5)
EndFunc  ;==>_TimerDispatch

Func _Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc  ;==>_Quit

On your _Timer_SetTimer(), the window has to be owned by the same process. I think this means it has to be one created by the same script with GuiCreate(), not Word, for example.

muttley

Edited by PsaltyDS

Im still having issues trying to send a string to word with controlsend. Here is what I have. I have pulled everything out but a simple open word and send string to the word file opened. Can someone please help. This will open a word doc. but then nothing happens.

#include <Word.au3>

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate")
HotKeySet("{F11}", "start")

while 1
    Sleep(300)
WEnd

Func start()
;Global $oWordApp = _WordCreate ("")
Run("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\winword.exe")
$handle = ControlGetHandle("[CLASS:Microsoft word]", "", "Edit1")
Sleep(1000)
ControlSend ( $handle, "", "edit1", "Im in time2 {enter}")
EndFunc

;Terminate
Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

• Moderators

Did you try the Word functions since you are dealing with .doc?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Yeah, I tried the word functions. And was unable to get that to work also. So, I was trying to get a very simple example of how to use it. If I could see a working example of how to do this I would understand where my mistake is and fix my code. Thanks for all the help. Keep the ideas and help coming please.

Yeah, I tried the word functions. And was unable to get that to work also. So, I was trying to get a very simple example of how to use it. If I could see a working example of how to do this I would understand where my mistake is and fix my code. Thanks for all the help. Keep the ideas and help coming please.

What made you think there was an "Edit1" control in Word? Use AU3Info.exe to check on the control IDs in your version, which you obviously didn't do before. Anyway, this works with my version:
$hWord = WinGetHandle("Document1 - Microsoft Word")
If Not IsHWnd($hWord) Then MsgBox(16, "Error", "Failed to get handle")
ControlSend($hWord, "", "[CLASS:_WwG; INSTANCE:1]", "Test.")

Use AU3Info.exe to check on the control IDs in your version.

muttley

What made you think there was an "Edit1" control in Word?

In the Autoit help for controlsend() they used notepad as a example. So I took a wild stabe and tried edit1 for the controlID in word.

Use AU3Info.exe to check on the control IDs in your version

I did try the AU3info.exe to try to find the controlID. I had seen nothing that said controlID. But I just had a thought when I read your post. I looked for edit1 in the notepad with AU3info.exe and seen that ClassnameNN is what I was looking for. I tried this and it worked.

ControlSend ( $hGUI, "", "_WwG1", "Im in time1 {enter}")

Your code also worked for me. However, on both of our code when I try to have 2 controlsends the first one stops whenever the 2nd one starts because the first one is sent to the backround. I thought you use controlsend to send text to a minimized window? Is there a better way to send text to a minimized window?

One more question now. What is the best way to send a mouse click to a minimized window? I feel like I get one question answered but have 10 more that come from the answer. LOL

• 3 years later...

FSoft, you should open a new thread in regards to whatever your issue is. Replying to a 3 year old thread is never a good idea at all.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator