Iconator

smashly

Nice program!

Bug in today's release -

Double click an icon in the window, and I get a "_WinAPI_DestroyIcon: Invalid cursor handle." error.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the bug report, it's appreciated.

When you got that error I'm guessing it was trying to view an icon group that contained png icons that were less then 256x256 in size.

I knew I missed a check as I was to focused on the 256x256 size icons and overlooked anything smaller in a png ico.

What doesn't help is I didn't have any files that contained png icons at less then 256x256 to test..lol

If so then hopefully it's been correctedin the first posts update (fingers crossed) .

Cheers

@ProgAndy / smashly,

Why should this be added?

It would just be for convenience reasons.

This way it is done using my or ProgAndy's method, you need to do it in 2 steps.

Extract the ICON file and than grab the HEX code.

When it would be included in can be done in 1 step. So saves some unnecessary clicks.

But I can understand that If you don't use Zedna's approach that you don't need it.

I do you it from time to time. Because you can see the immediate result even if the script is not compiled.

This is easier when developing.

Anyhow I will leave it up to you. In case it is not added I will add it in my version.

Thanks

regards

ptrex

I've still got the same error and crash (v1.2.1). Ironically, the closest file I grabbed to test this was 'autoit-v3.2.13.3-beta-setup.exe' :)

I'm using Vista Ult SP1 32-bit, if that makes a difference.

Thank you once again..

Nope it's not just vista, I actually get a hard crash in xp on the same file.

>Running:(3.2.12.1):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "G:\Iconator\Iconator.au3" 
!>04:28:19 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:-1073741819
>Exit code: -1073741819 Time: 17.692

Funny as there's no odd icon formats/sizes in that file.

I'll have to delve a bit deeper into it for a resolve.

To think I'd actually opened every file in my windows sytem32 directory and about 2 dozen exe's in my program files directory and didn't get a hard crash o_0.

Looks like back to the drawing board.. muttley

The joys of learning .. weeeee.

Edit: Found the problem.. just got to rewrite the way I loop through ordinal names of icons.

That file has and odd layout for ordinal names, that'll teach me to assume that ordinal names go in order in a RT_GROUP_ICON. The ordinal names in that file are in a willy nilly order.

Just shove them icons in there and give em an ordinal.. Lets see 7, 4, 6, 3, 2, 5, 1, yeah that'll do.. lmao

I should be able to fix it easy enough, I just need to commit some time and a few more lines of code.

Cheers

Edited by smashly

@ProgAndy / smashly,

It would just be for convenience reasons.

This way it is done using my or ProgAndy's method, you need to do it in 2 steps.

Extract the ICON file and than grab the HEX code.

When it would be included in can be done in 1 step. So saves some unnecessary clicks.

But I can understand that If you don't use Zedna's approach that you don't need it.

I do you it from time to time. Because you can see the immediate result even if the script is not compiled.

This is easier when developing.

Anyhow I will leave it up to you. In case it is not added I will add it in my version.

Thanks

regards

ptrex

I probably will add something similar when I add the Icon viewer (view/extract/add icons to/from *.ico files).

But atm I'm still trying to tidy and bugfix the source of what I already have before adding any new functionality.

Cheers

Hi Ptrex, thank you for the feedback.

I'm now trying to see the best way to add it, since you said an option to copy to clipboard I've sorta had to rework the idea of implementing export hex format, so I decided to hold off on it till later release.

In my original Idea of implementing it I was going to offer to export:

Extract all icons as hex string functions to 1 x au3 (Could use existing or new au3 and all data would be appended to the end).

Extract icons as hex string function 1 x au3 for each icon.

(these 2 methods I already had working and ready to go)

But the copy hex string to clipboard I'd not even considered until you mentioned it.

So I left the hex string part of the code out till I can give it a bit more thought.

Cheers

@smashly

You could in here Export to HEX code add a context menu.

When right click the selected icon to export to the clipboard.

This way you don't have to rearrange your GUI. It's more or less a hidden function in the listView ?!

just a thought.

regards

ptrex

Edited by ptrex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I tried to extract the icon from the latest version of uTorrent (the .exe that is), and it crashes Iconater.

Thought I should share.

I just tried with utorrent v1.8.0.11813.

The uttorrent.exe is compressed with an exe compressor (upx)...

Only the first icon is not compressed and it extracts fine for me..

So are you trying to extract the compressed icons? if so then I'd suggest to uncompress the utorrent.exe with upx.exe first.

(upx -d utorrent.exe)

Then use iconator to extract all icons (which does work btw)

As stated in the Iconator.txt attached to the first post:

Files that use upx or other methods of compression on the icon resources contained in a file will cause dud extracted icons.

(I may offer to check the files before importing to the list at a later date)

Cheers

• 3 months later...