Combo box, to return selection to another function?

My ultimate aim is to use a command-line based CD writing utility, which requires the drive letter to be specified in the cmd-line.

I have a GUI, with a combo box, and a button to execute the cmd (writes a specific encrypted folder from their local drive).

I would like my users to be able to select the appropriate drive letter (of their writer), then click the button to execute the job.

I need to selected drive letter from the combo box to be returned and 'inserted' in to the cmd-line, so when the button is clicked, it writes to the correct drive letter.

I'm a total newbie to this, so any basic help on getting started on this problem would be very much appreciated?

I've searched the forums for hours, but I can't make much sense of anybody else's fixes, so I'm sorry if this thread has been answered before, but I can't find it?

I setup my GUICtrlCreateCombo as a variable, then later had it read it to perform certain actions depending on the selection. so maybe a Send(GUICtrlRead()). I'm fairly new also, but I think if you had your gui waiting for a selection to be made to type in the variable that may work.

Giggity

This will get you started

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

Dim $i, $Drv, $Drives, $GUIMain, $GUICboDrive, $GUIBtnBurn
$Drv = DriveGetDrive( "CDROM" ) ; "ALL", "CDROM", "REMOVABLE", "FIXED", "NETWORK", "RAMDISK", or "UNKNOWN"
If @error Then
   MsgBox(4096,"Yikes!", "Error Reading Drive Info.")
   Exit
EndIf
For $I = 1 To $Drv[0]
      $Drives &= $Drv[$I] & "|"
Next ;$I

$GUIMain = GUICreate("Optical Drive Selection") ; , 640, 580, (@DesktopWidth - 640) / 2, (@DesktopHeight - 580) / 2)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Select Drive", 10, 10)
$GUICboDrive =   GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 70, 5)
GUICtrlSetData(-1, $Drives, $Drv[1]) 

$GUIBtnBurn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Burn It!",  50,  50, 80)
GUISetState()

While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $msg 
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE 
                 ExitLoop
        Case $GUIBtnBurn
                 $Drives = @ComSpec & " /c " & 'commandline_exe ' & GUICtrlRead($GUICboDrive)
                 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, " Executing " & $Drives)
                 Run($Drives, "") ; , @SW_HIDE) ;<- If you want to hide the Spawned Window
        EndSwitch
WEnd

Thanks for the replies....

The problem I have is that I need to return the drive letter to what is basically the middle of a command line, specified in a variable.

$BurnCD = '\CreateCD\CreateCD.exe -r:d SecureCD\*.* -v -eject'

There is a tonne of code that runs before this function is called which creates the encrypted folder and some other autorun tools, then it executes the command to burn the files to disc.

I need the selected drive letter from the combo box to be returned and inserted into the command line (at '-r:d' 'd' being the drive letter I need to change).

I dont mind having a seperate definition for each drive letter if it will make it work, like:

$BurnToD = "\CreateCD\CreateCD.exe -r:d SecureCD\*.*"

$BurnToE = "\CreateCD\CreateCD.exe -r:e SecureCD\*.*"

$BurnToF = "\CreateCD\CreateCD.exe -r:f SecureCD\*.*"

etc....

Then have some code that uses the returned drive letter from the combo, and calls the appropriate command from the above.

e.g.

if <drive letter> equals 'd' then call $BurnToD

If <drive letter> equals 'e' then call $BurnToE

If <drive letter> equals 'f' then call $BurnToF

etc....

I know very little about programming, I'm a hardware engineer, so I appologize if I'm not making myself very clear, and I also appologize for not posting more code, but there is so much (about 600 lines) that I'm not sure what to post.

I'm pretty sure everything else in my project is ok (it all seems to work anyway), I'm just struggling with this bit.

Thanks again everyone.

This will get you started

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

Dim $i, $Drv, $Drives, $GUIMain, $GUICboDrive, $GUIBtnBurn
$Drv = DriveGetDrive( "CDROM" ) ; "ALL", "CDROM", "REMOVABLE", "FIXED", "NETWORK", "RAMDISK", or "UNKNOWN"
If @error Then
   MsgBox(4096,"Yikes!", "Error Reading Drive Info.")
   Exit
EndIf
For $I = 1 To $Drv[0]
      $Drives &= $Drv[$I] & "|"
Next ;$I

$GUIMain = GUICreate("Optical Drive Selection") ; , 640, 580, (@DesktopWidth - 640) / 2, (@DesktopHeight - 580) / 2)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Select Drive", 10, 10)
$GUICboDrive =   GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 70, 5)
GUICtrlSetData(-1, $Drives, $Drv[1]) 

$GUIBtnBurn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Burn It!",  50,  50, 80)
GUISetState()

While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $msg 
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE 
                 ExitLoop
        Case $GUIBtnBurn
                 $Drives = @ComSpec & " /c " & 'commandline_exe ' & GUICtrlRead($GUICboDrive)
                 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, " Executing " & $Drives)
                 Run($Drives, "") ; , @SW_HIDE) ;<- If you want to hide the Spawned Window
        EndSwitch
WEnd