[RESOLVED] Change "Ontop" state with other than "WinSetOnTop"?

Again, searches in help file and forum didn't reveal an answer I knew how to work with. I found lots about GUICtrlSetState ( controlID, state ), which seemed to be used as "GUICtrlSetState (1, $GUI_ONTOP)" but no matter where I put that in my GUI, didn't get an "ontop" condition.

Ultimately, I found "WinSetOnTop" and that appears to work but it seems not to be a proper way to do this. I mean, I'm no expert, of course, but it seems that GUICtrlSetState would be more appropriate to use ... (?)

Here is the pertinent part of the GUI. I put WinSetOnTop at the bottom of it.

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

$Form1 = GUICreate("Open Folders ...", 301, 283, 193, 125)

$Toolbar1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("1.  PROGRAMS folder.", 35, 80, 235, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar1Click")

$Toolbar2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("2.  DATA folder.", 35, 130, 235, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar2Click")

$Toolbar3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("3.  VIDEO+AUDIO folder ...", 35, 180, 235, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar3Click")

$OK = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK, Done", 110, 243, 75, 25, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "OKClick")
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click on each button below to send the path" & @CRLF & "to the clipboard.  Then retrieve the path" & @CRLF & "by pressing ^+v:", 16, 8, 261, 49)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
WinSetOnTop("Open Folders ...", "", 1)

How would one get "GUICtrlSetState (1, $GUI_ONTOP)" to work, pls?

Thx. muttley

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Moderators

GUI Styles in help file:

$WS_EX_TOPMOST

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Hi, few ways to set your gui to be ontop, the way I use is Extended Window Style, another way is a WinAPI call _WinAPI_SetWindowPos()..

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

$Form1 = GUICreate("Open Folders ...", 301, 283, 193, 125, -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Close", $Form1)

$Toolbar1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("1.  PROGRAMS folder.", 35, 80, 235, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
;~ GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar1Click")

$Toolbar2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("2.  DATA folder.", 35, 130, 235, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
;~ GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar2Click")

$Toolbar3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("3.  VIDEO+AUDIO folder ...", 35, 180, 235, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
;~ GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar3Click")

$OK = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK, Done", 110, 243, 75, 25, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
;~ GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "OKClick")
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click on each button below to send the path" & @CRLF & "to the clipboard.  Then retrieve the path" & @CRLF & "by pressing ^+v:", 16, 8, 261, 49)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

while 1
    sleep(100)
wend

Func Close()
    Exit
EndFunc

Cheers

edit: doh to slow again muttley

Edited by smashly

Hallelujah! Thank you so much!! I changed it just a tad (and I'm showing a different GUI as this is the one I'm working on today), but here is my version. I'm doing something very unusual, since the scripts don't compile without taking out the UDFs from their folder and putting them into same folder as the script that is being compiled, I've gone and extracted the pertinent syntax. That's why it's a bit weird. I'm more afraid of messing something up if I forget to copy and move the file, etc., etc. Seemed easier to put lots of references into which UDFs _should_ be in there yet not putting them in, etc., so that when I compile, no problems in not making copies of files, etc.

;
; AutoIt 3x
;
;#include <GUIConstants.au3>     ; not needed since I extracted $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE syntax below from the appropriate UDF
;#include <WindowsConstants.au3>     ; not needed since I extracted $WS_EX_TOPMOST syntax below from the appropriate UDF
#NoTrayIcon     ; AutoIt's icon doesn't show in systray
TraySetIcon(@ScriptDir & "\000- GUItool2USE2add to words db re GENERAL WORDS 01.ico")
SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\(Music)- HTECH_01.MID")
AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)     ; this allows partial window titles to be valid!

ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & "\listman.exe", "", "", "open", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
WinWait("Acrostic 3.0")
Sleep(1000)

;=========================================================================
Global Const $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE = -3     ; by using this constant, could leave out reference to "#include <GUIConstants.au3>", which in turn referenced this variable, with this exact value, from "GUIConstantsEx.au3"
Global Const $WS_EX_TOPMOST             = 0x00000008     ;   put this in so that no need to have UDF present when compiling
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
$Form1 = GUICreate("Paths to the GENERAL 01 files to the clipboard ... ", 400, 300, 700, 175, -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)     ; width, height, left, top
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Close", $Form1)     ;   put this in so that no need to have UDF present when compiling
GUISetIcon(@ScriptDir & "\000- GUItool2USE2add to words db re GENERAL WORDS 01.ico")     ; this changes icon in upper left-hand corner to your chosen one
;----------------------------------------------------------
$Toolbar1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("1.  ''00b01- WORDLIST- GENERAL.txt'' ...", 50, 80, 300, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")     ; 2nd # = font size
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar1Click")
;----------------------------------------------------------
$Toolbar2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("2.  ''00b02- CluesDatabase-  GENERAL.txt'' ...", 50, 130, 300, 33, 0)     ; left, top, width, height
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "MS Sans Serif")     ; 2nd # = font size
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Toolbar2Click")
; ---------------------------------------------------------
$OK = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK, Done", 160, 243, 75, 25, 0)     ; left, top, width, height    [OK button]
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "OKClick")
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Click on each button below to send the path to the clipboard." & @CRLF & _
      "(Later retetrieve the path by pressing ^+v.)", 50, 25, 350, 50)     ; left, top, width, height
; ---------------------------------------------------------
; CLOSE BUTTON on upper right-hand corner:
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Close")     ; "X" closes app, line "Global Const $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE = -3" above.

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
;=========================================================================

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func OKClick()
    Exit
EndFunc
Func Toolbar1Click()
    ClipPut(@ScriptDir & "\00b01- WORDLIST- GENERAL.txt")
    Beep(1000,15)
    Sleep(100)
    Beep(1000,15)
EndFunc
Func Toolbar2Click()
    ClipPut(@ScriptDir & "\00b02- CluesDatabase-  GENERAL.txt")
    Beep(750,15)
    Sleep(25)
    Beep(75,15)
EndFunc

Func Close()
    Exit     ; finished
EndFunc  ;==>close

This GUI also has the capability recently learned to get those "X"'s in upper-right hand corner of GUI to close it.

Thanks, guys! These scripts make life a whole heck of a lot easier! Much appreciated. muttley