My first script for backups

pete1234

So this is my first real script using AutoIt. Previously all I used it for was automating installs for programs that didn't have a silent switch, but I'm beginning to understand how powerful AutoIt can be.

The script is basically used to backup various files. I started writing it because I needed a way to backup an Access database when a user opened/closed it, so I just use a macro to run the compiled script when the database is opened. I find it to be pretty useful, as I don't like Access' native backup function and this makes it easier to troubleshoot a broken database.

I've tried to make the script a little more versatile so it can be used outside of Access, and this is what I've come up with so far. Bear in mind I have no real programming background, so I'm learning both programming itself and various languages as I go. If the code looks really awful or if something is fundamentally wrong, please let me know. I'm sort of just flying by the seat of my pants at this point in time.

Edit: Updated. See readme.txt for change log and to-do list.

BackUp.exe

Readme.txt

BackUp.au3

Edited by pete1234

So this is my first real script using AutoIt. Previously all I used it for was automating installs for programs that didn't have a silent switch, but I'm beginning to understand how powerful AutoIt can be.

The script is basically used to backup various files. I started writing it because I needed a way to backup an Access database when a user opened/closed it, so I just use a macro to run the compiled script when the database is opened. I find it to be pretty useful, as I don't like Access' native backup function and this makes it easier to troubleshoot a broken database.

I've tried to make the script a little more versatile so it can be used outside of Access, and this is what I've come up with so far. Bear in mind I have no real programming background, so I'm learning both programming itself and various languages as I go. If the code looks really awful or if something is fundamentally wrong, please let me know. I'm sort of just flying by the seat of my pants at this point in time.

The attached archive contains the code, compiled script, and readme. You can ignore the references to shortcuts in the readme, as those refer to an SFX installer I made which is too big to attach and not that important.

As i have no need to use this code i will just comment on the look of it.

Overall it looks pretty good i would suggest using tidy on all of your programs when your releasing them or just so you can read them easier.

[quote name='PsaltyDS' post='635433' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:04 AM']Larry is a mass murderer?! It's always the quiet, clean cut, bald guys... [/quote]

Thanks, good to know nothing looks horribly wrong with it. I will also use Tidy from now on.

See OP for update. My intention is to eventually make this script operate more as a full-fledged backup utility that suits a few more of my needs. Here goes nothing!