Does AutoIt handle wildcards properly?

The more I reflect on this the more I think "*" wildcards are not properly handled in AutoIt, but then we all know how screwed up my thinking can get.

My thought processes say that FileFindFirstFile("path\*.*") should not return a handle if the folder only contains sub-folders, because of the dot. Unless of course there was a dot in the sub-folder name.

FileFindFirstFile("path\*") should (and does) return the handle if either files OR folders exist.

Now don't get me wrong, it's been this way forever and I'm not expecting anything to be changed. I'm simply wondering if this is technically correct.

Of course the fact that it doesn't work as I outlined may simply be another "feature" of the Windows API.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

yep.

Knowing full well how MS enjoys loading their software with features, that should have been my first choice.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

I'd never actually noticed that about the FileFind API (or if I did, I've long forgotten muttley )

Did you ever happen to notice that there is a third wildcard that MS software usually accepts? The tilde. As for your "I've long forgotten" statement, Bindar Dundat.

Edit: Scratch the tilde. It appears that it was finally fixed in XP. I hadn't played with that since we were trying to isolate a Windows Address Book problem back in Win 98. I tried it just now with XP and didn't get the same results.

In those days we came to the conclusion that MS had tried to incorporate the AutoCAD ~ (NOT) wildcard. If that was the case, then they failed miserably again.

Edited by GEOSoft

George