Help (programs)

Hi,

could anyone help me with a piece of code im trying to learn,im trying to make a program to launch other programs,very simple,but when i use the run command for a button,it comes up with a random number (4 digits). I would like it say something like You have just launched "Program" , very simple,just a dropmenu or a button.

Please help me,i really wonna get into coding,im only 14,so want to start early.

Thanks

Joe

• Moderators

Hi,

could anyone help me with a piece of code im trying to learn,im trying to make a program to launch other programs,very simple,but when i use the run command for a button,it comes up with a random number (4 digits). I would like it say something like You have just launched "Program" , very simple,just a dropmenu or a button.

Please help me,i really wonna get into coding,im only 14,so want to start early.

Thanks

Joe

Joe, it's difficult to help anyone without the actual code they are using.

What I am going to assume is you are using a variable with run:

$var = Run(...)

In this case, $var will actually be the PID (process identification) of the process you just executed.

If you are trying to get the name of the process just ran, look at the example in the help file under _ProcessGetName().

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Hi,

Thanks

Joe

Those 4 digits are probably because of the return value of that function is the PID of the program process that you are starting with Run().

Sorry:

Full Script:

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>

; GUI

GuiCreate("Sample GUI", 400, 400)

GuiSetIcon(@SystemDir & "\mspaint.exe", 0)

; MENU

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("Context Menu")

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("Menu&Two")

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("MenuTh&ree")

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("Menu&Four")

; CONTEXT MENU

$contextMenu = GuiCtrlCreateContextMenu()

GuiCtrlCreateMenuItem("Context Menu", $contextMenu)

GuiCtrlCreateMenuItem("", $contextMenu) ;separator

GuiCtrlCreateMenuItem("&Properties", $contextMenu)

; BUTTON

GuiCtrlCreateButton("Sample Button", 10, 330, 100, 30)

; GUI MESSAGE LOOP

GuiSetState()

While GuiGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

WEnd

• Moderators

Sorry:

Full Script:

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>

; GUI

GuiCreate("Sample GUI", 400, 400)

GuiSetIcon(@SystemDir & "\mspaint.exe", 0)

; MENU

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("Context Menu")

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("Menu&Two")

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("MenuTh&ree")

GuiCtrlCreateMenu("Menu&Four")

; CONTEXT MENU

$contextMenu = GuiCtrlCreateContextMenu()

GuiCtrlCreateMenuItem("Context Menu", $contextMenu)

GuiCtrlCreateMenuItem("", $contextMenu) ;separator

GuiCtrlCreateMenuItem("&Properties", $contextMenu)

; BUTTON

GuiCtrlCreateButton("Sample Button", 10, 330, 100, 30)

; GUI MESSAGE LOOP

GuiSetState()

While GuiGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

WEnd

@Joe...

That doesn't do anything at all, where are you getting the display of 4 numbers? What exactly do you need help with? I believe I gave you the answer to your original question.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Sorry,i sent you the wrong bit,i cant find the but that worked,but i know it used :

GuiCtrlCreateButton("Paint", Run (mspaint)10, 330, 100, 30)

, but i know that doesnt work,it was something along that line, but i didnt use PID or $var, or atleast i dont think it did muttley

sorry,you'll have to be patient,im new to coding,but really want to be a coder or something later in my life :)

• Moderators

Sorry,i sent you the wrong bit,i cant find the but that worked,but i know it used :

GuiCtrlCreateButton("Paint", Run (mspaint)10, 330, 100, 30)

, but i know that doesnt work,it was something along that line, but i didnt use PID or $var, or atleast i dont think it did muttley

sorry,you'll have to be patient,im new to coding,but really want to be a coder or something later in my life :)

Run returns the PID as I said, you are using Run.

So simply assign a variable to Run: $i_PID = Run(etc..):

After you execute the above, then use _ProcessGetName() (repeating myself here).

Now go try that, if it fails, then post all the code you are using, along with the failing attempts.

Edited by SmOke_N

Thanks for that, but i think we might be getting confused,im try to get the button to execute the program, if im just stupid or something,or anoying you,just say so,or dont reply,before i wanted the button to execute say mspaint,and a box came up with 4 random numbers,but i dont know whats going on now.

Sorry for any bother

Joe

• Moderators

Thanks for that, but i think we might be getting confused,im try to get the button to execute the program, if im just stupid or something,or anoying you,just say so,or dont reply,before i wanted the button to execute say mspaint,and a box came up with 4 random numbers,but i dont know whats going on now.

Sorry for any bother

Joe

Ahh, you are actually Running Paint as you are launching that way.
Global $h_gui, $h_mspaint, $i_paint_pid
$h_gui = GUICreate("Example")
$h_mspaint = GUICtrlCreateButton("Run mspaint", 10, 10, 100, 25)
GUISetState()
While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case -3
            Exit
        Case $h_mspaint
            If ControlGetText($h_gui, "", $h_mspaint) = "Run mspaint" Then
                $i_paint_pid = Run(@SystemDir & "\mspaint.exe")
                GUICtrlSetData($h_mspaint, "Close mspaint")
            Else
                ProcessClose($i_paint_pid)
                GUICtrlSetData($h_mspaint, "Run mspaint")
            EndIf
    EndSwitch
WEnd
I thought you just posted it wrong.