Script does not release from memory after exiting

I don't believe the particular problem I have is being caused by AutoIt, but I was hoping maybe one of you gents might have experienced this before and would have a solution.

I am using AutoIt version 3.2.12.0 and SciTE version 1.76 on a Dell Latitude D810 laptop (Windows XP SP3) with 2GB of RAM, 2.2GHz Celeron. 90% of my scripts are tested on this same machine. When I run an .AU3 script (non-compiled) everything works great, everytime. But SOMETIMES when I run a compiled script, and the script exits, I notice a severe drop in my laptop's performance. When I go into Task Manager I find the compiled script name process, still running, using 99% of available resources. Naturally, if I highlight the script name and click End Process it goes away. I cannot seem to pinpoint what is causing this. I usually compile a script by right-clicking on it and choosing Compile Script (without options). I have tried compiling with just AU32EXE. I have tried ANSI and Unicode, even without UPX compression. This happens completely randomly. Later, at some point, I might compile the same script, the same way and then it will work perfectly.

My machine is fairly clean. The only thing running in the background is Trend Micro 2008. But this happened before even with my old AV program (AVG). I tend to think it's a Windows issue but I would not even know where to start to look for how to fix it. Of course, any other executables on this machine run fine as well. This only happens with compiled AutoIt scripts.

Any ideas?

I have got a Dell D820 and a while ago I had a problem with compiling scripts, it was the gui you get in the full version of Scite would lock up.

Now what I didn't know was it wasn't just the compile gui it was other windows too, but I noticed it on the compile window because I was compiling scripts on a regular basis and I thought that was the problem.

It turns out it was the Nvidia video driver. I went to the Dell site and downloaded there latest driver and that fixed my problem. The symtoms were roughly the same but in reverse. When a window was being created the driver was locking up the process which would then run @ 100% (actually it was 50% but I have a dual core so it was 100% of one core)

I also after loading the new driver disabled the NVidia extra windows options because it filled my event log with errors. If you do have any errors in your event log about Nvidia then google the error cos there was loads of threads about it.

Hope this helps

I have got a Dell D820 and a while ago I had a problem with compiling scripts, it was the gui you get in the full version of Scite would lock up.

Now what I didn't know was it wasn't just the compile gui it was other windows too, but I noticed it on the compile window because I was compiling scripts on a regular basis and I thought that was the problem.

It turns out it was the Nvidia video driver. I went to the Dell site and downloaded there latest driver and that fixed my problem. The symtoms were roughly the same but in reverse. When a window was being created the driver was locking up the process which would then run @ 100% (actually it was 50% but I have a dual core so it was 100% of one core)

I also after loading the new driver disabled the NVidia extra windows options because it filled my event log with errors. If you do have any errors in your event log about Nvidia then google the error cos there was loads of threads about it.

Hope this helps

Thanks, ChrisL

Unfortunately my laptop has an ATI RADEON X600. I'm running the latest driver but I found a video BIOS update which I installed. So far my compiled scripts seem to work OK without hanging at the end but my machine takes forever to boot now. Oh, well. Take the good with the bad I guess. Thanks, man.

Thanks, ChrisL

Unfortunately my laptop has an ATI RADEON X600. I'm running the latest driver but I found a video BIOS update which I installed. So far my compiled scripts seem to work OK without hanging at the end but my machine takes forever to boot now. Oh, well. Take the good with the bad I guess. Thanks, man.

Well same ball park I guess!