@Version reports WIN_95 on Windows XP!

Around the end of June, ProcessExists and Process Close stopped working in a script where they had worked properly for well

over a year. Now I discover that @Version is returning WIN_95!!! when running in that same compiled script on Windows XP.

MSGBOX(0,"TRACE 0", @OSVersion)

My PC has Windows 95b installed in the C: partition, Windows 98 2nd. Edition in the K: partition, and Windows XP Pro. SP2 in the

L: partition. I multiboot between them, but primarily use XP. The compiled script in question had been working perfectly on

Windows XP, 98, and 95 from the beginning.

I was able to work around the "ProcessClose" function problem using Taskkill.exe (under XP) and probably can figure out a way to get around the @Version misreporting problem, but don't really want another Rube Goldberg solution.

Anybody out there got any ideas? I'm stumped.

I'm pretty sure that Autoit is compatible with Windows 95 At least up to Version 3.2.8.0 (Don't quote me on that, I'm not positive)

I don't think that's what he was saying. It reads to me that when running under XP he is getting WIN_95 as the value for @OSVersion. I tested it and I'm getting the right result with v3.2.12.1 and for v3.2.13.3 so something is amiss. BTW Win 9x support has been dropped for the beta version. I think the last release version still had 9x support.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I don't think that's what he was saying. It reads to me that when running under XP he is getting WIN_95 as the value for @OSVersion. I tested it and I'm getting the right result with v3.2.12.1 and for v3.2.13.3 so something is amiss. BTW Win 9x support has been dropped for the beta version. I think the last release version still had 9x support.

I know that. I just meant that if he updated to a higher version, still compatible with 9x, that it might work. Maybe it's an old v3.1.0 bug.

Hi.

What result is reported by "start, run, winver" ?

Did you recompile your script with a more current version of autoit3 as well?

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Winver reports: Microsoft Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qdr.070227-2254 : Service Pack 2). An it is @OSVersion

that is reporting WIN_95. I accidently wrote @Version on my original post.

Also, @OSVersion, ProcessExists, and ProcessClose were working fine in this compiled script on XP until sometime around

the end of June.

In addition to the changes to my XP system around that time mentioned in my post a few days ago re: the sudden failure

of ProcessExists and ProcessClose, there were at least a couple MS Security Updates in that same time frame.

I believe there is a connection between these failures in that the Process function failures might well be the result of Autoit

detecting WIN_95 when it is actually running on XP. If I knew how AutoIt determines what OS it is running on, I might be

able to find and possibly repair whatever change has occurred, possibly a side effect of one of those security updates.

Edited by autoitfan

Winver reports: Microsoft Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qdr.070227-2254 : Service Pack 2). An it is @OSVersion

that is reporting WIN_95. I accidently wrote @Version on my original post.

What version of AutoIt are you using?

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• Developers

AutoIt Version 3.1.0. Sorry I didn't include that info in my original post.

You did in the sub title muttley

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

You didn't answer my 2nd question:

What happens, when you compile your script with a later version of autoit3?

3.1.0 is pretty old. Try 3.1.12.3 instead.

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

Regards, Rudi.

There is no AutoIt v3.2.12.3, you probably mean AutoIt v3.2.12.1 (stable) or AutoIt v3.2.13.3 (beta)

Regards, Rudi.

Opps! Yes I suppose I could download a later version of AutoIt and

recompile, but unless they have changed how the OS version is

determined, that wouldn't work. If it did work, I still wouldn't know

what had changed on my PC that suddenly caused this failure after

well over a year of correct operation. But, I agree that it's a good

suggestion to upgrade to a more recent version. I will do that soon.

Do you know if there's a way to find out where AutoIt gets the OS

version info it uses for @OSVersion? I suspect it's from the registry

and could probably correct it if I knew how it worked.

Do you know if there's a way to find out where AutoIt gets the OS

version info it uses for @OSVersion? I suspect it's from the registry

and could probably correct it if I knew how it worked.

Ask a developer? :) muttley

Ask a developer? :) muttley

It's probably as obvious as your reply, but I

don't know how to follow your suggestion.

OK! I figured out how to contact a developer

so you don't need to explain further. Thanks.

Edited by autoitfan

• Moderators

It's probably as obvious as your reply, but I

don't know how to follow your suggestion.

3.1 is what I was using when I first came to AutoIt 3 years ago muttley

We are now on Release version 3.2.12.1 and Beta 3.2.13.3 .

Download for different options.

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml

Catch up to current ones, and see how that works for you.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Developers

This scriptlet gives you the OSVERSION info:

Global $p_OSVERSIONINFOEX = DllStructCreate( _
        "DWORD dwOSVersionInfoSize;" & _  
        "DWORD dwMajorVersion;" & _
        "DWORD dwMinorVersion;" & _
        "DWORD dwBuildNumber;" & _
        "DWORD dwPlatformId;" & _
        "CHAR szCSDVersion[128];" & _
        "ushort wServicePackMajor;" & _
        "ushort wServicePackMinor;" & _
        "ushort wSuiteMask;" & _
        "BYTE wProductType;" & _
        "BYTE wReserved;" )
DllStructSetData($p_OSVERSIONINFOEX, "dwOSVersionInfoSize", DllStructGetSize($p_OSVERSIONINFOEX))
DllCall("kernel32.dll","int","GetVersionEx","ptr",DllStructGetPtr($p_OSVERSIONINFOEX))
For $x = 1 To 10
    ConsoleWrite($x & "=" & DllStructGetData($p_OSVERSIONINFOEX,$x) &@CRLF)
Next

.. and here you can find what it all means:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724834(VS.85).aspx

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)