Autoit inWine on Ubuntu

Hi Folks,

I've been asked to automate a task in Ubuntu 8.04.

However I have little experience with any Linux systems, and while i have Python knowledge that was for an embedded project.

So, I am wondering if anyone has attempted to run Autoit in Wine and if so could you please provide some pointers?

Many thanks,

SIone

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves possess.

Folks,

Just to clarify:

The task is very complex, hence my actual consideration of Autoit.(variations of PCB layout variants with Eagle).

I have had great success with PCB Wizard and an Autoit project, but i cannot find a way of translating the files into the formats accepted by Eagle.

Im aware that some people have had good results running Autoit in Wine, BUT what i need to know if there are any issues with, or has anyone has luck with doing any Autoit tasks under Wine in Ubuntu?

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves possess.

Why? I was using Autoit exclusively under Wine for almost 7 months until I got my PC.

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Since i dont get to the Ubuntu machine until wednesday, can anyone let me know how the Run("app") command is translated?

Im guessing at present that i will be using the linux path format.... Im asking simply because I like to be for-armed with at least a little knowledge.

(@KentonBomb I've just learnt that the Ubuntu box has NO internet connection, so using "sudo apt-get..." wont work and i'll have to use an older .deb package - can you tell me which version of Wine you used?)

SIone

I'm fairly sure I used v0.9.5.1

It's been a while though... Ok, it's been about two weeks. I know I didn't use the latest one though.

Ha, i know what you mean, its like putting a spanner down for 5 minutes and still expecting it to be there.....

Many thanks for the pointer about the package, there are many offerings for both 7.10 and 8.04 so i'll try your suggestion first, and if no luck i'll remove it and try another for the 'proper' version - simply because if you had success then i should too!!

Is there anything i need to know about Wine and Autoit (incuding install and useage; i have a small about of linux experience so its a sharp learning curve), I dont expect everything to work, but im wondering if you found any trapdoors a code might fall through?

Many thanks,

SIone

Ha, i know what you mean, its like putting a spanner down for 5 minutes and still expecting it to be there.....

Many thanks for the pointer about the package, there are many offerings for both 7.10 and 8.04 so i'll try your suggestion first, and if no luck i'll remove it and try another for the 'proper' version - simply because if you had success then i should too!!

Is there anything i need to know about Wine and Autoit (incuding install and useage; i have a small about of linux experience so its a sharp learning curve), I dont expect everything to work, but im wondering if you found any trapdoors a code might fall through?

Many thanks,

SIone

I have had barely any issues running Autoit scripts in Wine. A few things though:

I would immediately replace user32.dll and shell32.dll from Wine with the Windows versions. Saves alot of trouble in the future.

HotKeySet() and _IsPressed don't work, but GUISetAccelerator does. That's the only way I can see you binding keys to functions.

Other than that, I've had relatively no trouble.

I have had barely any issues running Autoit scripts in Wine. A few things though:

I would immediately replace user32.dll and shell32.dll from Wine with the Windows versions. Saves alot of trouble in the future.

KentonBomb,

I've seen the posts you made:

Run("firefox")

Doesn't work

Code:

Run("/usr/bin/firefox")

Does work.

so thats a head start for making a beginning, but just to make sure im clear on this, you mean to replace the user32.dll and shell32.dll from my current xp install?

Thanks,

SIone

KentonBomb,

I've seen the posts you made:

so thats a head start for making a beginning, but just to make sure im clear on this, you mean to replace the user32.dll and shell32.dll from my current xp install?

Thanks,

SIone

I mean copy those file from your XP install to the Wine install to save some trouble.

And when did I make that post? I posted something similar on the Wine forum. I was talking about how Wine doesn't respect the Linux PATH variable.

I can't offer too much help with how the two will react, but if you want to check it out for yourself before you get to the machine you're going to work on, you could always run ubuntu from CD. Should be the same, no?

I mean copy those file from your XP install to the Wine install to save some trouble.

And when did I make that post? I posted something similar on the Wine forum. I was talking about how Wine doesn't respect the Linux PATH variable.

I dont remember the date on that post, but I've decided to dual boot my spare machine and so far so good!

post-33517-1216106833_thumb.png

post-33517-1216106949_thumb.png

post-33517-1216106891_thumb.png

I have used it on Ubuntu 8.04 many times.

The Windows automations features don't seem to work, but the basic GUI design and other feautres seem to work.

muttley

As i just discovered!!

Looks like i'll be reaching for my Perl book....

• 1 month later...

I use it in openSuse 11, I keep a shared Fat32 partition so I can easily access my scripts/libraries between XP and Suse, that alone will save you a lot of trouble. I have problems with functions like ShellExecute() in Wine, anything that linux doesn't have an easy equivilent to really. For the most part, if I write the script keeping in mind I'll use it on both installs, its fairly easy to get it to work perfectly on both.

[u]You can download my projects at:[/u] Pulsar Software