Just curious, what's your opinion?

I have this script that I wrote:

CODE
#include <GuiConstants.au3>

#NoTrayIcon

Opt("TrayMenuMode",1) ; Default tray menu items (Script Paused/Exit) will not be shown.

opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3)

Global $aboutitem = TrayCreateItem("About")

TrayCreateItem("")

Global $exititem = TrayCreateItem("Exit")

TraySetState()

;HotKeySet("^!a", "toggle") ;Must click window and then back off to activate so this feature has been disabled for now.

HotKeySet("^!p", "go")

HotKeySet("^!t", "terminate")

TraySetToolTip( "PixiHex" )

TrayTip("PixiHex", "Use Ctrl+Alt+P to capture the color beneath the cursor." & @CRLF & "Use Ctrl+Alt+T to terminate.", 60)

go()

Func go()

If WinExists("PixiHex", "") Then

$xy=MouseGetPos()

$color=PixelGetColor( $xy[0] , $xy[1])

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The color of the pixel" & @CRLF & "beneath the cursor is" & @CRLF & "displayed on the right:", 13, 20)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Hex value of this color is: " & @CRLF & Hex($color, 6), 13, 80)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Decimal value of this color is: " & @CRLF & $color, 13, 120)

GuiCtrlCreateLabel("", 135, 15, 50, 50)

GuiCtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x & $color)

Else

$xy=MouseGetPos()

GuiCreate("PixiHex", 200, 200)

GuiSetIcon(@SystemDir & "\mspaint.exe", 0)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The color of the pixel" & @CRLF & "beneath the cursor is" & @CRLF & "displayed on the right:", 13, 20)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Hex value of this color is: " & @CRLF & Hex($color, 6), 13, 80)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Decimal value of this color is: " & @CRLF & $color, 13, 120)

GuiCtrlCreateLabel("", 135, 15, 50, 50)

GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Set as Always On Top", 13, 160)

GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_CHECKED)

; GUI MESSAGE LOOP

GuiSetState()

While GuiGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

$tray = TrayGetMsg()

$checkbox=GUICtrlRead(7)

Select

Case $tray = $aboutitem

Msgbox(262144, "about:", "PixiHex was created by Me using the" & @CRLF & "AutoItv3 scripting language. Copyright 2008.")

Case $tray = $exititem

Exit

Case $checkbox = $GUI_CHECKED

WinSetOnTop("PixiHex", "", 1)

Case $checkbox = $GUI_UNCHECKED

WinSetOnTop("PixiHex", "", 0)

EndSelect

WEnd

EndIf

EndFunc

Func terminate()

Exit

EndFunc

;Func toggle()

; $check=GUICtrlRead(7)

; If $check = $GUI_CHECKED Then

; WinSetOnTop("PixiHex", "", 0)

; GUICtrlSetState(7, $GUI_UNCHECKED)

; Else

; WinSetOnTop("PixiHex", "", 1)

; GUICtrlSetState(7, $GUI_CHECKED)

; EndIf

;EndFunc

And was wondering if I did it how others would do it. The "it" part being the repetitious part under the IF statement. I had to do this to get it to update the labels when Ctrl+Alt+P was pressed. Wondering if there was a better way to do it. Just curious. Also, sorry if it is hard to read. I just started learning AutoIt a little while ago, (off and on for about a year now). AutoIt is my first scripting language and I still rely on the help files quite a bit.

Just a quick note, the following:

muttley

- Table UDF - create simple data tables - Line Graph UDF GDI+ - quickly create simple line graphs with x and y axes (uses GDI+ with double buffer) - Line Graph UDF - quickly create simple line graphs with x and y axes (uses AI native graphic control) - Barcode Generator Code 128 B C - Create the 1/0 code for barcodes. - WebCam as BarCode Reader - use your webcam to read barcodes - Stereograms!!! - make your own stereograms in AutoIT - Ziggurat Gaussian Distribution RNG - generate random numbers based on normal/gaussian distribution - Box-Muller Gaussian Distribution RNG - generate random numbers based on normal/gaussian distribution - Elastic Radio Buttons - faux-gravity effects in AutoIT (from javascript)- Morse Code Generator - Generate morse code by tapping your spacebar!

Feeling generous so this is how I would do it:

#NoTrayIcon

;set ON EVENT MODE
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

;set HOTKEY
HotKeySet("^!p", "go")

;create GUI
$GUI = GuiCreate("PixiHex", 200, 200)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,"terminate")

;create labels
$color = 0x000000 ;initial color to show
$hex = GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Hex value of this color is: " & @CRLF & Hex($color, 6), 13, 80)
$dec = GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Decimal value of this color is: " & @CRLF & $color, 13, 120)
$col1 = GuiCtrlCreateLabel("", 135, 15, 50, 50)

;on top check box
$ontop = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Set as Always On Top", 13, 160)

;show gui
GuiSetState(@SW_SHOW)

;loop
While 1
    Sleep(100)

;poll checkbox to see if wanted on top or not
    if GUICtrlRead($ontop) = 1 Then
        WinSetOnTop($gui,"",1)
    Else
        WinSetOnTop($gui,"",0)
    EndIf
WEnd

;go function activated when hotkey is pressed
Func go()
    ;get color of pixel at mouse cursor
    $xy=MouseGetPos()

;update the existing labels with new data
    GUICtrlSetData($hex,"The Hex value of this color is: " & @CRLF & Hex($color, 6))
    GUICtrlSetData($dec,"The Decimal value of this color is: " & @CRLF & $color)
    GuiCtrlSetBkColor($col1, "0x" & hex($color,6))
EndFunc

;exit gui
Func terminate()
Exit
EndFunc

I initally had a problem with your script, in that the color of the box/label was incorrect.

this is because you were setting the color of the label as the direct result of PixelGetColor like this:

....but PixelGetColor returns a decimal number for the color, which needs hexing:

GuiCtrlSetBkColor(-1, "0x" & hex($color,6))

Note also, my example uses ON EVENT MODE, whereas your original script uses Message Loop mode..... I find event mode MUCH easier for GUIs, but that is a personal preference, you may prefer loop mode.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by andybiochem
- Table UDF - create simple data tables - Line Graph UDF GDI+ - quickly create simple line graphs with x and y axes (uses GDI+ with double buffer) - Line Graph UDF - quickly create simple line graphs with x and y axes (uses AI native graphic control) - Barcode Generator Code 128 B C - Create the 1/0 code for barcodes. - WebCam as BarCode Reader - use your webcam to read barcodes - Stereograms!!! - make your own stereograms in AutoIT - Ziggurat Gaussian Distribution RNG - generate random numbers based on normal/gaussian distribution - Box-Muller Gaussian Distribution RNG - generate random numbers based on normal/gaussian distribution - Elastic Radio Buttons - faux-gravity effects in AutoIT (from javascript)- Morse Code Generator - Generate morse code by tapping your spacebar!

;*********************************************************************************

; Created Date : 06/06/2008

; Created By :

; Tester Version : 1.0

; Project :

; Description :

;*********************************************************************************

; Running Test On :

;=========#DEFINES and '#INCLUDES File

#include <GuiConstants.au3> ; Gui File Export

#RequireAdmin ; Check the User login is req Admin privilabe

#NoTrayIcon

; global variable declarations

; local Variables

Opt("TrayMenuMode",1) ; Default tray menu items (Script Paused/Exit) will not be shown.

opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3) ; Title Match ;1=start, 2=subStr, 3=exact, 4=advanced, -1 to -4=Nocase

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit")

HotKeySet("^!p", "go")

HotKeySet("^!t", "_Exit")

GuiCreate("PixiHex", 200, 200)

$xy=MouseGetPos()

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Hex value of this color is: ", 13, 65)

$SC1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel (Hex($color, 6), 13, 80)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Decimal value of this color is: " , 14, 105)

$SC2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel( $color, 13, 120)

$SC3 = GuiCtrlCreateLabel("", 135, 15, 50, 50)

; GUI MESSAGE LOOP

GuiSetState()

While GuiGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

$checkbox=GUICtrlRead(7)

Select

; Case $tray = $aboutitem

; Msgbox(262144, "about:", "PixiHex was created by Me using the" & @CRLF & "AutoItv3 scripting language. Copyright 2008.")

; Case $tray = $exititem

; Exit

Case $checkbox = $GUI_CHECKED

Case $checkbox = $GUI_UNCHECKED

WinSetOnTop("PixiHex", "", 0)

EndSelect

WEnd

Func go()

$xy=MouseGetPos()

GuiCtrlSetBkColor($SC3,0x & $color)

GUICtrlSetData($SC2,$color)

GUICtrlSetData($SC1,Hex($color, 6))

EndFunc ;==>_Exit

Func _Exit()

Exit

EndFunc ;==>_Exit

Updated file same script

NewTest.au3

Edited by MyName

-= [font="Verdana"]A Men Who believes in himself and not circumstances is the real Winner =-[/font]

; Created Date : 06/06/2008

; Created By :

; Tester Version : 1.0

; Project :

; Description :

;******

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Exit

EndFunc ;==>_Exit

Updated file same script

muttley see post number 2 of this thread.

your script gives:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3(38,24) : ERROR: syntax error

GuiCtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3(63,26) : ERROR: syntax error

GuiCtrlSetBkColor($SC3,0x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3 - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

No Problem for ME

"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe" /in "D:\121.au3"

Exit code: 0 Time: 2.022

What version are you running?

I'm on v3.2.12.1

gives:

>"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3"

+>17:11:00 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.1.10.1.8 Environment(Language:0409 Keyboard:00000809 OS:WIN_XP/Service Pack 3 CPU:X86)

>Running AU3Check (1.54.13.0) from:C:\Program Files\AutoIt3

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3(38,24) : ERROR: syntax error

GuiCtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3(63,26) : ERROR: syntax error

GuiCtrlSetBkColor($SC3,0x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\121.au3 - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

!>17:11:00 AU3Check ended.rc:2

>Exit code: 0 Time: 4.270

[EDIT] Never mind, I just realized you're using aut2exe directly, rather than checking the script for errors first. muttley

Edited by andybiochem

I'd do it this way

$title = "PixiHex"

GuiCreate($title, 200, 200)

$mPos = MouseGetPos()
$mColor = PixelGetColor($mPos[0], $mPos[1])
$bkColor = "0x" & Hex($mColor, 6)

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit")
HotKeySet("^!p", "_Go") ; Ctrl + Alt + P
HotKeySet("^!t", "_Exit")

GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Hex value of this color is: ", 13, 65)
$SC1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel (Hex($mColor, 6), 13, 80)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("The Decimal value of this color is: " , 14, 105)
$SC2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($mColor, 13, 120)
$SC3 = GuiCtrlCreateLabel("", 135, 15, 50, 50)
GuiCtrlSetBkColor(-1, $bkColor)

; GUI MESSAGE LOOP
GuiSetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $msg = GuiGetMsg()
    $checkbox=GUICtrlRead(7)
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSelect
WEnd

Func _Go()
    $mPos = MouseGetPos()
    $mColor = PixelGetColor($mPos[0], $mPos[1])
    $bkColor = "0x" & Hex($mColor, 6)
    GuiCtrlSetBkColor($SC3, $bkColor)
    GUICtrlSetData($SC2,$mColor)
    GUICtrlSetData($SC1,Hex($mColor, 6))
EndFunc ;==>_Exit

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc ;==>_Exit

[font="Georgia"]Chances are, I'm wrong.[/font]HotKey trouble?Stringregexp GuideAutoIT Current Version

OK. Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. I have learned a few things so far from you all. The syntax error I did not realize because my version, (v3.2.12.1) ran just fine without any errors. I've never used ON EVENT MODE before so I'll play with that for a while. I also like how you suggest to use exit as a function name, not that naming really matters for me. Also, i forgot all about mentioning that I could not get the checkbox to work reliably with a hot key and that is why it was all commented out. Again, thanks to everyone. Just curious to see how the pros would do it.

I have went over your suggestions. Not to single anyone out or anything, don't get me wrong, they are all great; but I really like andybiochem's suggestion. His reads easier and is less code than mine own. Thank you for your replies.

Edited by netman74501