msgbox line break in a variable or wrap

Basically the text portion in the msgbox is being placed there by a $variable. I need to limit the length of the msgbox, so I need to be able to either break the lines after a certain length or preferably wrap the text(because breaking the text in the variable with @crlf after a certain amount of text could cut words off). I prefer not to use a gui pop up style for this and stick with a msgbox. Is this possible?

Edited by Champak

I thought about stringlen, but that counts characters and would/could cause words to be split up. But now I'm thinking maybe I can do _StringInsert @crlf if it is a space. If it is not a space at that point, search for the first space after the _StringInsert until the end of the string. Now I just have to figure out how the hell to do that.

#include <array.au3>
$Text = "THIS IS A REALLY LONG TEXT LINE THAT WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _
" AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!"
$CharsPerLine = 15
MsgBox(0, "", StringBreakAtWords($Text, $CharsPerLine,1,@CRLF))

Func StringBreakAtWords($String, $Maxchars, $ReturnString = 1, $Delimiter = @CRLF)
$Pattern = ".{"&$Maxchars&"}\b|.{1,"&$Maxchars&"}\b"
$Lines = StringRegExp($String, $Pattern, 3)
If Not $ReturnString then Return $Lines
Dim $Result=""
For $i = 0 to UBound($Lines)-1
    $Result &= $Lines[$i]&$Delimiter
Next
Return StringTrimRight($Result,1)
EndFunc

Edited by Paulie

That's great. Thanks....I know I was about to take at least an hour to figure this one out. What is the "$ReturnString = 1" for?

EDIT: I think this should definately be a part of autoit's UDF....maybe under misc.., or make a new UDF section for msgbox because I saw a nice one by Smoke where he changes the button text...I'm sure there are a few more useful msgbox functions floating around.

Edited by Champak

That's great. Thanks....I know I was about to take at least an hour to figure this one out. What is the "$ReturnString = 1" for?

EDIT: I think this should definately be a part of autoit's UDF....maybe under misc.., or make a new UDF section for msgbox because I saw a nice one by Smoke where he changes the button text...I'm sure there are a few more useful msgbox functions floating around.

If $return string = 0 then it would just return an array of the lines. The string is post delimited

I added the ability to be able to insert carriage returns.

add "\r" after that first "\b"

But there are three problems.

1/ The script seems to be inserting carriage returns/line breaks in some odd places sometimes.

Here is an example:

#include <array.au3>
$Text0 = "The start of everything"
$Text1 = "Basically the text portion in the msgbox is being placed there by a $variable. I need to limit the length of the msgbox, so I need to be able to either break the lines after a certain length or preferably wrap the text(because breaking the text in the variable with @crlf after a certain amount of text could cut words off). I prefer not to use a gui pop up style for this and stick with a msgbox. Is this possible?"
$Text2 = "The last line not really saying anything. THIS IS A REALLY LONG TEXT LINE THAT WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _
" AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!"

$CharsPerLine = 70
MsgBox(48, "ba", StringBreakAtWords($Text0 & @CR & _
                                    $Text1 & @CR & _
                                    $Text2, $CharsPerLine,1,@CRLF))

Func StringBreakAtWords($String, $Maxchars, $ReturnString = 1, $Delimiter = @CRLF)
$Pattern = ".{"&$Maxchars&"}\b\r|.{1,"&$Maxchars&"}\b"
Dim $Result=""
Next
EndFunc

The line unnecessarily gets split right after: "Basically the text portion in the msgbox is"

and: The last line not really saying anything.

2/ The followin line sometimes begins with a space which makes things sometimes uneven(I could probobly fix this)

3/ Punctuations right at the end of a word sometimes gets put to the next line...doesn't really make sense. It would make more sense if that last word with the punctuation ". , ! ? )" gets put to the next line.

Edited by Champak

If $return string = 0 then it would just return an array of the lines. The string is post delimited

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. I don't see what that has to do with regexp array. When I remove it, it still returns everything It should in the array. It seems like an arbitrary variable with some number assigned to it. Almost like saying "What does it have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Well, I can help you with number 1.

1) you were only calling the function once for all three separate portions of text. One function call should be used for each 'portion' of the text:

#include <array.au3>
$Text0 = "The start of everything"
$Text1 = "Basically the text portion in the msgbox is being placed there by a $variable. I need to limit the length of the msgbox, so I need to be able to either break the lines after a certain length or preferably wrap the text(because breaking the text in the variable with @crlf after a certain amount of text could cut words off). I prefer not to use a gui pop up style for this and stick with a msgbox. Is this possible?"
$Text2 = "The last line not really saying anything. THIS IS A REALLY LONG TEXT LINE THAT WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _

$CharsPerLine = 70
MsgBox(48, "ba", StringBreakAtWords($Text0, $CharsPerLine,1,@CRLF) & @CR & _
                                    StringBreakAtWords($Text1, $CharsPerLine,1,@CRLF) & @CR & _
                                    StringBreakAtWords($Text2, $CharsPerLine,1,@CRLF))

$Pattern = ".{"&$Maxchars&"}\b\r|.{1,"&$Maxchars&"}\b"
Dim $Result=""
Next
EndFunc

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. I don't see what that has to do with regexp array. When I remove it, it still returns everything It should in the array. It seems like an arbitrary variable with some number assigned to it. Almost like saying "What does it have to do with the price of tea in China?"

It is simply a formatting thing... Perhaps you wanted to split the string, and then only use the first element in the array (or the first line)

you would set $ReturnString = 0 so that it would return an array instead of a string, then just take the [0] element of that array.

If you leave $ReturnString = 1 then you will get a delimited string, and the delimiter parameter would be so you could choose the delimiter.

Basically that parameter is asking "Do you want an array or a string?"

Fixed 2 with replacing the loop:

If StringLeft($Lines[$i], 1) = " " Then
        $Lines2 = StringTrimLeft($Lines[$i], 1)
    Else
        $Lines2 = $Lines[$i]
    EndIf
    $Result &= $Lines2&$Delimiter
NextoÝ÷ Ù*-¬²ç¬çíþ«¨µà^¶×«²n¶*'jëh×6Func StringBreakAtWords($String, $Maxchars, $ReturnString = 1, $Delimiter = @CRLF)
Dim $Result=""
    $Lines[$i] = StringStripWS($Lines[$i],3)
Next
EndFunc

@danwilli

great, simple solution.

@Paulie

Oohhhhhh, I totally missed the "Return" part in the

I was blanking out and thinking the fucntion was continuing. I got it now.

Better solution:

Absolutely. I forgot that StringStripWS has parameters.

EDIT: So just need to figure the punctuation issue and all is Good.

Edited by Champak

One more thing, I'm not seeing what exactly your "\r" is doing for the pattern. I get the same results for the following line both with and without it

#include <array.au3>
$Text = "THIS IS A REALLY "&@CR&" LONG TEXT LINE THAT WOULD MAKE A REALLY LONG MESSAGE BOX" & _
" AND SO WE WANT TO WORD WRAP IT BUT NOT "&@CR&" CUT OFF THE WORDS! IT IS 155 CHARS LONG!!!"
$CharsPerLine = 25
MsgBox(0, "", StringBreakAtWords($Text, $CharsPerLine,1,@CRLF))

$Pattern = ".{"&$Maxchars&"}\b|.{1,"&$Maxchars&"}\b" ; ".{"&$Maxchars&"}\b\r|.{1,"&$Maxchars&"}\b"
Dim $Result=""
    $Lines[$i] = StringStripWS($Lines[$i],3)
Next
EndFunc
Edited by Paulie

One more thing, I'm not seeing what exactly your "\r" is doing for the pattern. I get the same results for the following line both with and without it

Evidently I probably added an extra unnecessary character when I first tried the carriage returns which caused errors. Then I guess when I tried the "fix", I probably then put the carriage return in properly and thought I found a "solution" for a "problem" that wasn't really there.

So now just need to ensure that punctuation is not on a line split.

Paulie, is there any way this can be in you regexp?

I cant figure out how to do it. nothing i try works :\ maybe one of the regexp geniuses (Smoke_N muttley ) will shine some light on this situation Edited by Paulie