Anti-Virus Crap.

I currently run AVG antivirus and the false positive bullshit has gone too far.

Posted Image

I can't even compile my scripts now because of this crap.

I've already contacted AVG about this but it's very circular and it will continue to occur as long as AutoIt it's self keeps the same signature and people keep writing malicious material using my beloved AutoIt.

What can we do about this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most anti-virus have settings to whitelist/exclude/filter certain files , doesn't AVG?? If not then uninstall it and you should be free from those alerts muttley

No Joke I Totaly Agree For This Issue I Too Want The Signature Of AutoIt To Change So No False Positives But We Can't Do Anything The Dev's And MVP's Have to Do Something

Have Questions About GUI (Graphical User Interface) ? Post Them Here :GUI Help And Support ForumHave Questions About General AutoIt ? Post Them Here : General Help And Support ForumNew To AutoIt ? Be Shure To Check Out The FaQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) Or FaQ ¹ There You May Find Great Help That Will Guide You True The Wonderful Programming Language AutoItOthere Good Place To Get Some Knolage Of AutoIt Is The Example Script ForumNotice A Bug ? Please Go And Report it At Bug Report Section And Help The Devolepers Of AutoIt Update And Fix The Programming LanguageWant To Thank The People For This Great Forum And Programming Language ? Then DonateWhen You Found The Answer Your Looking For Please Add [Resolved] To The Thread's Name That Will Show Otheres That You Have Found What Your Looking For And They Whount Have To Enter The Thread.

No Joke I Totaly Agree For This Issue I Too Want The Signature Of AutoIt To Change So No False Positives But We Can't Do Anything The Dev's And MVP's Have to Do Something

But someone out there will make a viral script using the new signature and therefore be saved to the antivirus' database.

The only thing that we do for now is to take AdmiralAlkex's advice.

Edited by system24
[center]It's a question of mind over matter, if I don't mind, it doesn't matter.[/center]

Why The Othere Programming Languages Like Visual Basic Or C++ Don't Get Detected As Viruses Like AutoIt Then ....

Have Questions About GUI (Graphical User Interface) ? Post Them Here :GUI Help And Support ForumHave Questions About General AutoIt ? Post Them Here : General Help And Support ForumNew To AutoIt ? Be Shure To Check Out The FaQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) Or FaQ ¹ There You May Find Great Help That Will Guide You True The Wonderful Programming Language AutoItOthere Good Place To Get Some Knolage Of AutoIt Is The Example Script ForumNotice A Bug ? Please Go And Report it At Bug Report Section And Help The Devolepers Of AutoIt Update And Fix The Programming LanguageWant To Thank The People For This Great Forum And Programming Language ? Then DonateWhen You Found The Answer Your Looking For Please Add [Resolved] To The Thread's Name That Will Show Otheres That You Have Found What Your Looking For And They Whount Have To Enter The Thread.

It seems to me that this falls under defamation, and is in fact illegal. They are blocking autoit programs and scripts from running arbitrarily, giving the impression that AutpIt is malicious or harmful, when in fact, most AutoIt scripts are safe and beneficial. This also extends into commercial areas in that people selling programs may be tainted by association with a false (and slanderous) reputation given AutoIt by misrepresentation.

Several things come to mind:

1.) The current state of affairs is entirely on the wrong side of ethical behavior, even if it's mostly caused by ignorance.

2.) If we know we're right, then we should inform them (AV software folks) that the current state of affairs is unacceptable, and that their association of AutoIt as malware is in fact illegal.

3.) They need to figure out how to differentiate between good and bad AutoIt programs, or associate particular, specific malware with their lists, and not arbitrarily block AutoIt in general.

They've somehow, some way, managed to keep Java, Python, Ruby, and c# programs running. AutoIt is no different. There's nothing you can do with one language that any other language doesn't have the facility for. It's a language, not a virus, and not malware. You can write viruses and malware in AutoIt; you can also write viruses and malware in any other language. They've got to fix this, or they will be liable for defamation, should the developers decide to pursue that avenue.

As computer geeks themselves, however, I'm sure an amiable solution can be found. The collective brain power of this community should be able to find a working solution.

This Issue Does Not Only Involve AVG Make A Simple program dunno what then go to http://www.virustotal.com/ and scan it and u will see most anti-virus software that they use to scan files indicates that the current program containts viruses etc.

So it's not only AVG but most Anti-virus software ...

I Think It's Better To Change The AutoIt Signature Then Contacting All The Devolepers Of Those Software

But It's Only My Option...

Cha0sBG, I kindly ask you to capitalize correctly. Only the first word of the sentence and important nouns need to be capitalized. It's harder to read when you capitalize almost every word.

Every AutoIt script has the same signature because it is all the same file. Compiled languages have different signatures because the code is different. The AutoIt code does not change within a version number.

How is it illegal that antivirus companies mark AutoIt as malware? They are simply trying to stop problematic files. The real illegal ones are the malware writers, don't you think?

Richard Robertson, Sorry for that but it's kinda like a bad habit :) but i will try not to do it muttley

As for the autoit issue well i must say illegal ones are the malware writers ( i agree with you richard ) but why does only autoit scripts show as virus alerts .... that's not right they shoud do something about it or dunno

PS: Richard, i like your avatar ^^

Edited by Cha0sBG

Oh, I don't know? Figure out a way to scan the contents of an AutoIt script or executable (since they can obviously detect them) and go from there? There is a way, and it may be a pain in the ass to implement, but I assert that the problem is not in the AutoIt system, but the malware made with AutoIt.

They are defaming legitimate scripts and harming AutoIt by maintaining the arbitrary malware definition, and it's up to them to figure out how to bypass that issue. They're the ones in the wrong, we're the ones getting screwed, and the malware writers are the ones causing the problem in the first place.

If they can't figure out a way that doesn't arbitrarily block AutoIt scripts, regardless of content, then they need to ignore AutoIt scripts entirely.

Yeah The Include all AutoIt signature as virus alert they are lazy and dont wanna go deeper to inspect the content of the script :S

I'm certain there are technical issues with delving into content, and it would take a significant amount of time and money to move past the basic signature read... however, that's their problem.

Due to the anti-virus companies, my group has been under attack by people claiming we put viruses on their computer when in fact, we only write completely legitimate scripts. I already know the pain of people in a similar situation. This problem effects both the users of AutoIt based software by means of panic and the writers of such software through defamation and attack.

I can't even compile scripts now with AVG enabled.

yeah but if they dont do something we are fucked up >.<

The main problem is not MY anti-virus installation. It's the anti-virus software on everyone else's computers that are getting false positives.

I haven't tried this 'cause I haven't had a problem yet but with AVG under your resident shield you manage your exceptions. There should be a way to fix your problem there.
My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

Yup, you can fix the problems with specific vendors software, but I'd be willing to bet that more than 90% of the average users are unable to figure out how to allow AutoIt programs to run, and that of those unable, almost all will assume that AutoIt is something bad.

That's defamation, and it's illegal, in the US at least.