Is it possible?

Giles

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the nature of my post - total newbie as far as AutoIT is concerned. Before I embark on my long and winding road of discovery I would just like to know if a couple of things are possible before I start. Indulge me if you will...

1. Can AutoIT open and logon to any website I desire?

2. Is it possible to extract data from a website with AutoIT and then manipulate it in Excel?

3. Based on the results of the manipulation of said data in Excel can AutoIT then enter certain levels/criteria into a different website, confirm the entry and close the website?

Thanks and apologies if the questions are on the stupid side ;o)

Cheers

Giles

Edited by Giles

Yes, AutoIt can do all of these things, and I believe I have read threads on people doing all of these. (obviously there are exceptions to every rule)

The Only real limitation to AutoIt is how much work YOU are willing to devote to your project.

For example, logging in to "most" websites AutoIt can handle incredibly easy, but if its a Java based Site, that will sometimes throw you some curve balls, if you are required to Enter Captchas, again a few curve balls, but nothing unDoAble.

There is always a butthead in the crowd, no matter how hard one tries to keep them out.......Volly

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the nature of my post - total newbie as far as AutoIT is concerned. Before I embark on my long and winding road of discovery I would just like to know if a couple of things are possible before I start. Indulge me if you will...

1. Can AutoIT open and logon to any website I desire?

2. Is it possible to extract data from a website with AutoIT and then manipulate it in Excel?

3. Based on the results of the manipulation of said data in Excel can AutoIT then enter certain levels/criteria into a different website, confirm the entry and close the website?

Thanks and apologies if the questions are on the stupid side ;o)

Cheers

Giles

The only thing I'd give you any slack for is posting in the GUI help and support instead of general help and support. muttley Maybe a mod can move it. As for your questions,

1. The answer to this is somewhat conditional on what website(s) your talking about, some java and things like that force you to interact with a webpage using keystrokes/mouse movements instead of the normal com interface. I would say much more then likely you won't have too much of an issue. Check out Debug Bar for help with IE automation. Also be very sure to read the help file, it has a lot of stand alone very good examples for IE.

2. Again, I'm sure the answer is somewhat conditional, but unless its a really weird website I'm sure you can pull the data. And yes autoit can interact with Excel. As of right now its not included with the autoit install, but search the forum for the excel UDF by locodarwin. I'm sure that UDF/autoit can do whatever you want to in Excel.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by enter certain levels/criteria into IE; but more then likely your OK here as well. Closing the browser is no problem.

Someone else maybe able to give you a better 'rule of thumb' for what trouble you can run into with java or the like. I'm probably putting too much emphasis on it though, more then likely you'll be just fine. If you run into specific problems, feel free to post in the general help and support forum.

Welcome to the forum!

While ProcessExists('Andrews bad day.exe')
	BlockInput(1)
	SoundPlay('Music.wav')
	SoundSetWaveVolume('Louder')
WEnd