Simple StringFormat problem

Have you tried MsgBox(0,"Runstring",$runstring) to see if it is even a valid run command?

Actually yes I did and it spit out a bunch of garbled text. But it looked more like a graphical error then functional.

I have used StringFormat in the same way before and not had this issue. Are you implying that what it shows is exactly what it tries to run?

Edit: This is what it dispays: C:CINDOWSIystem32ymd.exe /c copy C:\test\007.txt C: este_M_F.txt

Edited by schilbiz

Dude, have you even read the helpfile?? That's not how StringFormat works!!

Yes I read the helpfile almost everytime I code.

I have used StringFormat it in this manner in other scripts and it works fine, granted there is more to it that what I am trying now. Here is an example function taken out of a larger script on how I got it to work before.

Func PROCESS()
    Local $line
    $r_Machine = GUICtrlRead($I_Machine)
    $r_User = GUICtrlRead($User_I)
    $r_Pass = GUICtrlRead($Pass_I)

$runString = StringFormat("tasklist /s %s /u %s /p %s /fo csv /nh", $r_Machine, $r_User, $r_Pass) 
   $run = Run($runString, "", @SW_HIDE, $STDERR_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD)

While 1
        $line &= StdoutRead($run)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
    WEnd
    While 1
        $line &= StderrRead($run)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        MsgBox(0, "Error: Try again...", "Invalid Process or no Process selected.", 3)
        Return
    WEnd

You are getting me feel very uncertain now.... I think I will retreat for the moment. :P

As an example run this:

$r_Machine = "Machine"
    $r_User = "Username"
    $r_Pass = "Password"
    $runString = StringFormat("tasklist /s %s /u %s /p %s /fo csv /nh", $r_Machine, $r_User, $r_Pass)
    MsgBox(0,"Runstring",$runstring)

You will notice that it is accurate.

Try doing something like:

$runstring = @ComSpec & " /c " & StringFormat('copy %s C:\test\C_M_F.txt', $sFile1)

My guess is that @ComSpec isn't being parsed properly because of:

Online Docs: value of %comspec%, the SPECified secondary COMmand interpreter; primarily for command line uses, e.g. Run(@ComSpec & " /k help | more")

Which means %c and % in %comspec% might be the culprit. Since StringFormat might be taking it literally.

-CMR

Try doing something like:

$runstring = @ComSpec & " /c " & StringFormat('copy %s C:\test\C_M_F.txt', $sFile1)

My guess is that @ComSpec isn't being parsed properly because of:

Online Docs: value of %comspec%, the SPECified secondary COMmand interpreter; primarily for command line uses, e.g. Run(@ComSpec & " /k help | more")

Which means %c and % in %comspec% might be the culprit. Since StringFormat might be taking it literally.

-CMR

Interesting, that seems like it is on the right track, that output looked like this:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c copy C:\test\007.txt C: este_M_F.txt

That gives me a few ideas though, I will play with it some more.

Thanks.

Wierd. Maybe a bug in StringFormat?

No Bug,

It states in the Helpfile:

"Remarks

To prevent buffer overflow, each "variable" is limited to 65535 characters.

Escape characters can be contain in the "format control" such as \n (@LF), \r (@CR), \t (@TAB]. So if you want to have a "\" you need to use \\, samething for "%" %%.

"variable format" is; %[flags] [width] [.precision] type"

So I just had to alter it a little, and now it works.

$sFile1 = "C:\test\007.txt"
$runstring = @ComSpec & " /c " & 'copy ' & StringFormat('%s ' &  "C:\\test\\C_M_F.txt", $sFile1)

Odd that the \'s in $sFile1 do not trigger the same garbled error. It looks ugly but it works. Thanks for the help.

Edited by schilbiz

Why aren't you just using FileCopy()?

I plan on copying multiple large 500+(MB) files into 1 file and filecopy does not seem to allocate the memory very well and errors out. The only thing that I could get to work is this:

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'copy C:\test\*.txt C:\test\C_M_F.txt', "", @SW_HIDE) ; this will copy multiple *.txt files to the one file, fast and easy.

I am not entirely sure why it works but it can allocate 1.5 GB of files and copy it without erroring out. I remember back in DOS it did manage copying files etc better than Windows does. On this computer I have 1GB RAM with Page File of max 2048 so there technically should be plenty of "Memory" available.

Do you know of a better way?

Granted I know that command prompt "copy" is not a DOS command in Windows XP. It does somehow manage memory better than FileCopy, if someone knows why please explain.

For example:

I have 5 .txt files that I need to merge into 1 large file.

File1 307mb

File2 519mb

File3 519mb

File4 519mb

File5 1.8gb

When I run the below code it instantly copies the 307mb file over, then hangs and the script ends. It doesn't even get to File2.

FileCopy("C:\test\sfile\*.txt", "C:\test\C_M_F.txt")oÝ÷ Ùh^îØ^méhÁÊz+¢±©e¡ûayø¥zÊ/z»h¶§{âéhq«b¢x§r·¦z{ZÙ²ºÇ=¨)^ëÞ®
±¦èºÞ¸òfß®®§w®6»-j»b  ^½éHµÊ)ë-çâë(½êÚ×+^±¨níû·âì"¶.µªk¡¹^«­¢+ØÀÌØíÍ¥±ÄôÅÕ½ÐíèÀäÈíÑÍÐÀäÈíÍ¥±ÀäÈ쨹ÑáÐÅÕ½Ðì(ÀÌØíÉÕ¹ÍÑÉ¥¹ô
½µMÁµÀìÅÕ½Ðì½ÅÕ½ÐìµÀìMÑÉ¥¹½ÉµÐ Ìäí½ÁäÌèÀäÈìÀäÈíÑÍÐÀäÈìÀäÈí
}5}¹ÑáÐÌäì°ÀÌØíÍ¥±Ä°M]}!%¤(í5Í  ½à À°ÅÕ½ÐíIÕ¹ÍÑÉ¥¹ÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØíÉÕ¹ÍÑÉ¥¹¤)IÕ¸ ÀÌØíÉÕ¹ÍÑÉ¥¹¤

Edit: Added the example.

Edited by schilbiz