YourBackup

IanR

YourBackup - a script for automating the backup of Windows 95-XP workstation data to a server.

Intended as a loss-prevention mechanism for local email-folders, and as a safety-net for laptop-users who need to store files locally when roving, this script copies the local data from a logged-on workstation or laptop to a server-share in a manner which is largely transparent to the user, and has minimal effect on the usability of the machine whilst the backup is in progress.

My first major v3 project, so apologies for any rough edges...

Edited by IanR

YourBackup - a script for  automating the backup of Windows 95-XP workstation data to a server.

Intended as a loss-prevention mechanism for local email-folders, and as a safety-net for laptop-users who need to store files locally when roving, this script copies the local data from a logged-on workstation or laptop to a server-share in a manner which is largely transparent to the user, and has minimal effect on the usability of the machine whilst the backup is in progress.

My first major v3 project, so apologies for any rough edges...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello IanR :lmao: Looks good o:)

Glad you like it. :lmao:

Spotted a couple of bugs already that slipped-through initial testing:

I assumed a 10-series network in determining IP addresses of machines.

(next version will have an .ini option)

This isn't terribly critical as it's purely informative to log source IPs anyway.

The template-delivery options were hardcoded for a quick-and-dirty test, and I subsequently forgot to refer them to the .ini file. Ooops. Never noticed either, as we use the default location so it worked for us. Again, fixed in next release.

I was working on something like this already. We have network drives and personal network drives. I am in the middle of creating one that will copy over the user's files *.doc; *.xls, *.ppt, *.mdb over to their personal net drive. I hope you don't mind but I am gonna look at your's and see if there is any of it that will get me past some setbacks.

:lmao:o:):):)

I hope you don't mind but I am gonna look at your's and see if there is any of it that will get me past some setbacks.

You're welcome.

It should be fairly obvious how each section works but PM me if you need any guidance.

It's live on one complete site, and for two volunteer-users on another site. Nobody has reported any issues so far, and the backups seem to be updating daily.

In the pipeline:

Minor bugfixes.

Securing the backup-folders.

Grooming module.

Did some work on the working grooming module today, as I feel this is a necessary item otherwise there's no way of removing the junk-buildup from the backups... A test on a single user-folder went quite well, now I need to write code to catalogue the backups, and run on each. Intention is to have the server do this as a scheduled process rather than taking-up network bandwidth. Thinks: maybe there should be two date-criteria, one after which individual files no longer present on the source-disk are considered expired, and another after which the entire backup will be considered expired if the user hasn't logged-on at all since that time.

Ah, the things we do on Friday evenings.. :lmao:

(-Well, better than pouring our pay-packet down the drain..)

Edited by IanR

And what if i want to copy my backup to an cdrw or dvdrw?

Anyone an idea how i can fix this>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's possible if you use a packet-driver and a rewriteable. The packet-driver can be on a server if you prefer, and it's still possible to write to the disc via a share.

HST packet-writing is painfuly slow, so don't expect sparkling performance doing things that way.

Hi Ian & Co. I will go to coop with the tool,

Minor bugfixes.

Securing the backup-folders.

Grooming module.

for securing 2 ways:

1. zipping or arj , even it can make part of the copying job for you.

2. Writing into one or several DVDs or sending through ftp.

3. disconnect the share in the destination pc, after copying

:lmao:

Autoit.es - Foro Autoit en Español Word visitors Image Clustrmap image: - Football Spanish team - Spanish team: Casillas, Iniesta, Villa, Xavi, Puyol, Campdevilla, etc..Programando en Autoit+Html - Coding Autoit-Html - Arranca programas desde Internet - Preprocesador de Autoit a http

1. zipping or arj , even it can make part of the copying job for you.

2. Writing into one or several DVDs or sending through ftp.

3. disconnect the share in the destination pc, after copying

1. Compression would make the backups a lot slower and more processor-intensive, and that's something we're trying to avoid. Plus, most zippers have a size-limit (usually 2GB) over which you must switch to multi-volume archiving, and quie a few users have more data than this. Multi-volume archives cannot be updated easily.

2. The intended role of the script is automated backup workstations to a server HD. Trying to write such backups directly to DVD would not be ergonomic, as it would mean having a human operator standing-by throughout the process to change the discs. It would be more sensible to backup to a large HD first, then burn to DVD.

FTP (or direct sockets) would be an interesting idea. I did toy with the idea of havign a server-side process runing on its own TCP port, to receive the data.

3. Possible on Samba I think, but NT Servers allow only one client-login per session, thus if the user's logged-in to their normal account, then they have access to the backup-share whether you like it or not. HST it's possible to set a combination of NTFS permissions that give pretty-good, but not absolute, security, and this is the route I will follow, for the moment anyway.

1. Compression would make the backups a lot slower and more processor-intensive, and that's something we're trying to avoid. 

I dont agree not much slower, and they should happen at night..

Plus, most zippers have a size-limit (usually 2GB) over which you must switch to multi-volume archiving, and quie a few users have more data than this. Multi-volume archives cannot be updated easily.

Not agree.. no problem with updating .. they make new archives 2gb (this should be optional)

2. The intended role of the script is automated backup workstations to a server HD. Trying to write such backups directly to DVD would not be ergonomic, as it would mean having a human operator standing-by throughout the process to change the discs. It would be more sensible to backup to a large HD first, then burn to DVD.

fits for DVD of 10Gb.. for bigger they dont, even you can have 2 DVDRW UNITS then you have 20Gb (compressing even 30-60Gb)

FTP (or direct sockets) would be an interesting idea. I did toy with the idea of  havign a server-side process runing on its own TCP port, to receive the data.

Right...

3. Possible on Samba I think, but NT Servers allow only one client-login per session, thus if the user's logged-in to their normal account, then they have access to the backup-share whether you like it or not. HST it's possible to set a combination of NTFS permissions that give pretty-good, but not absolute,  security, and this is the route I will follow, for the moment anyway.

in windows there is no problem doing it... many ways...(optional) Edited by BasicOs
Autoit.es - Foro Autoit en Español Word visitors Image Clustrmap image: - Football Spanish team - Spanish team: Casillas, Iniesta, Villa, Xavi, Puyol, Campdevilla, etc..Programando en Autoit+Html - Coding Autoit-Html - Arranca programas desde Internet - Preprocesador de Autoit a http